I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Tressel named university president
Tressel named university president
Connor Kiesel
FOX Sports Ohio

MAY 09, 2014 9:24a ET

[Image: 050214-FSO-CFB-Tressel.vadapt.955.medium.76.jpg]
Jim Tressel has moved up rapidly in the world of academia.
Mark Duncan/AP Photo / AP

Former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel will be the next president of Youngstown State University.

Tressel, who has been at the University of Akron in a non-athletic department position since 2012, most recently holding the title of vice president for student success, was a unanimous selection of the school's trustees.

The 61-year-old was also a finalist for the presidency at Akron but the school announced Thursday that Scott Scarborough, the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at the University of Toledo, had received that job.

Before coaching the Buckeyes, Tressel spent 15 years as Youngstown State's head football coach, winning two Division I-AA titles.

Tressel resigned from Ohio State after allegations that his players sold memorabilia for money and tattoos. After an investigation, the NCAA imposed upon him a five-year "show-cause" penalty, which will expire late in 2016. At an open forum for the Youngstown State gig, Tressel said he did not have a desire to return to coaching. His focus will now squarely turn to academia.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/jim-...ent-050914

05-09-2014 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Tressel named university president
If this had been announced April 1 I would have known not to take it seriously. YSU has now officially earned punchline status--not just on late night TV but in the entire world of higher education.

05-09-2014 02:23 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
YSU, in my eyes, has lost all credibiity. One has to wonder, when interviewing a candidate from YSU, if the degree is real or not.

05-09-2014 02:42 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-09-2014 02:42 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  YSU, in my eyes, has lost all credibiity. One has to wonder, when interviewing a candidate from YSU, if the degree is real or not.

One has to have credibility in order to lose it.

As far as public universities go, it is already near the bottom in terms of rankings in the state. It is the fallback school for kids from the Mahoning Valley who can't hack it at Ohio State, Kent State or Akron.

05-09-2014 04:13 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
How the heck do you hire someone with just a masters degree in education. Usually a candidate with just a JD, MD, or EdD has trouble landing a president appointment.

05-09-2014 06:08 PM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(05-09-2014 04:13 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 02:42 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  YSU, in my eyes, has lost all credibiity. One has to wonder, when interviewing a candidate from YSU, if the degree is real or not.

One has to have credibility in order to lose it.

As far as public universities go, it is already near the bottom in terms of rankings in the state. It is the fallback school for kids from the Mahoning Valley who can't hack it at Ohio State, Kent State or Akron.

LOL, Youngstown State is a fallback school for those who can't make it into Akron. That's good.

I clicked on this thinking it was a joke, only to find out it is, except it's better because it's true.

I don't get it. How does something like this happen?

05-09-2014 08:36 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Typical for this forum. The guy got caught, and lost his job, and has been working as an administrator for the past couple years. He seems to have done some good things while at Akron... Let the man live his life. I'm sure most other coaches at P5 schools are doing shady things, and eventually someone else will get caught. Maybe this move will work out well for a institution that obviously needs help.

Older article about him working at Akron:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10042414/former-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-jim-tressel-embracing-life-second-career-instructor-akron-university

05-12-2014 07:18 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Sounds as if this is a good landing spot for him. He started out there and will probably retire there as well.

05-12-2014 11:17 AM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

(05-12-2014 07:18 AM)Banter Wrote:  Typical for this forum. The guy got caught, and lost his job, and has been working as an administrator for the past couple years. He seems to have done some good things while at Akron... Let the man live his life. I'm sure most other coaches at P5 schools are doing shady things, and eventually someone else will get caught. Maybe this move will work out well for a institution that obviously needs help.

Older article about him working at Akron:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10042414/former-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-jim-tressel-embracing-life-second-career-instructor-akron-university

Being a "little shady" in athletics is almost expected and more than tolerated. Being a "little shady" in academia is never acceptable.

05-12-2014 12:46 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-12-2014 12:46 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 07:18 AM)Banter Wrote:  Typical for this forum. The guy got caught, and lost his job, and has been working as an administrator for the past couple years. He seems to have done some good things while at Akron... Let the man live his life. I'm sure most other coaches at P5 schools are doing shady things, and eventually someone else will get caught. Maybe this move will work out well for a institution that obviously needs help.

Being a "little shady" in athletics is almost expected and more than tolerated. Being a "little shady" in academia is never acceptable.

This. Tressel's shadiness goes much further than the last couple years at Ohio State. When he was the HC and AD up at YSU his players were getting paid by boosters as well. I have attached a nice article from Sports Illustrated that summarizes his transgressions.

The fact this guy was hired by as a university president is a joke.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://cnns...mdr2ONRWBg

05-12-2014 12:57 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It doesn't affect me or anybody on here. Who cares!

YSU made their choice for a reason. It may be a good choice or it may be bad choice. But it is their choice.

05-12-2014 01:00 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

(05-12-2014 01:00 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  It doesn't affect me or anybody on here. Who cares!

YSU made their choice for a reason. It may be a good choice or it may be bad choice. But it is their choice.

Some of us hire people who have degress. It matters to a good number of people.

05-12-2014 01:20 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

I think the big shock to most here is that YSU hired someone who lacked the qualifications for the position simply because of his name. I would laugh at any university who hired a president who was a former football coach with very limited experience as an academic administrator.

05-12-2014 01:28 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
They obviously hired a fundraiser and nothing else. They must have a provost or VP or something that does the real day to day strategic planning. I still think it is a joke, and I don't hate Tressel.

05-12-2014 01:39 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(05-12-2014 01:28 PM)subflea Wrote:  

I think the big shock to most here is that YSU hired someone who lacked the qualifications for the position simply because of his name. I would laugh at any university who hired a president who was a former football coach with very limited experience as an academic administrator.

From what I have read he has done some good work at Akron, and he is a fundraiser. YSU probably needs someone who can get some corporate donations flowing through the system. I feel there is a lot wrong with higher education, and maybe hiring someone who has not been an academic his entire life will work out for the school.

05-13-2014 07:34 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
C'mon its Youngstown - what do they care? The place is like the original home of "shady"

Its perfect. A match made in Newark.

05-13-2014 11:19 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(05-13-2014 11:19 AM)Eastside_J Wrote:  C'mon its Youngstown - what do they care? The place is like the original home of "shady"

Its perfect. A match made in Newark.

James Traficant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Traficant

05-13-2014 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.