Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scheduling in the Sun Belt question
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Online
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Scheduling in the Sun Belt question
In football are there any guidelines as to scheduling for the 4 non-conference games? For example is there any requirement of only 1 FCS?

In basketball and baseball are there any scheduling rules? Any limits on non D1 games in either sport?
04-28-2014 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

galojah Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU

Donators
RE: Scheduling in the Sun Belt question
(04-28-2014 09:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  In football are there any guidelines as to scheduling for the 4 non-conference games? For example is there any requirement of only 1 FCS?

In basketball and baseball are there any scheduling rules? Any limits on non D1 games in either sport?

I believe only one non-FBS football and you cannot play a non-FBS on the road. When we moved up, we were not able to go to EKU to play. They could only come here.
04-28-2014 09:13 PM
GaSoEagle Online
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
That makes sense. It would make the conference look bad if its members were traveling to FCS teams to play. I guess there is no limit to "money games." Every school makes it own decisions I guess. I haven't looked at Sun Belt FB schedules over the past few years but I would assume almost everyone plays 1 "money game" at least, and probably many play 2 of them.

In basketball in my opinion there needs to be a rule against non D1 games. Ga. Southern played 4 last year and that is ridiculous. I am wondering with us joining the Belt this coming year in basketball if there is any limit on this.
04-28-2014 09:18 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Is the 1 non-FBS school even a rule? I know there's a rule about not playing away non-FBS schools.

I just figured every school recognized that since you can only count one non-FBS level win towards bowl eligibility, no one bothered to schedule a second.
04-28-2014 09:27 PM

Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
I haven't heard of not scheduling FCS on the road. Is this new?
04-28-2014 10:11 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Not sure if it is a sunbelt rule, but only 1 non-fbs game can count towards bowl eligibility. Not playing non-fbs on road isn't new either. It's been around for a while now.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 10:35 PM by Louisiana99.)
04-28-2014 10:34 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
There are no actual guidelines. In 2007 the league proposed a set of guidelines requiring teams to schedule no more than 2 money games, and only one FCS game always at home. They also had to host 6 games a certain number of years. Those were passed, and then magically thrown away.
04-28-2014 10:39 PM

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
App plays 2 FCS next year. Ga State played 3 FCS last year. Although they are/were transitioning.

My rules would be as follows:

1) No more than 1 FCS per year.
2) No FCS road games
3) You must have 6 home games (which means you have to have at least 1 OOC FBS team).
4) Home games only count towards the 6 game requirement if they are in your stadium, or in a stadium closer to your campus than your opponents and is within 200 miles of your campus, or you have public approval from the Conference.

Teams not complying with this rule shall forfeit 50% of their FBS Bowl payout share for that year.

It will never happen. The only conference that I know of that rigorously enforces its OOC scheduling goals is the Atlantic 10 (basketball). Schedule crap there and they'll yank your funding. And one team was told that if they do that again, and they'll be a vote on expulsion.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 12:05 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-29-2014 12:02 AM
JTApps1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(04-29-2014 12:02 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  App plays 2 FCS next year. Ga State played 3 FCS last year. Although they are/were transitioning.

My rules would be as follows:

1) No more than 1 FCS per year.
2) No FCS road games
3) You must have 6 home games (which means you have to have at least 1 OOC FBS team).
4) Home games only count towards the 6 game requirement if they are in your stadium, or in a stadium closer to your campus than your opponents and is within 200 miles of your campus, or you have public approval from the Conference.

Teams not complying with this rule shall forfeit 50% of their FBS Bowl payout share for that year.

It will never happen. The only conference that I know of that rigorously enforces its OOC scheduling goals is the Atlantic 10 (basketball). Schedule crap there and they'll yank your funding. And one team was told that if they do that again, and they'll be a vote on expulsion.

For App this is the only year we will schedule 2 FCS teams. Our AD has said repeatedly that our scheduling plan for 2015 and beyond is 1 P5 on the road, 1 G5 at home, 1 G5 on the road, and an FCS at home. The only change would be if we got a P5 at home.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 09:20 AM by JTApps1.)
04-29-2014 09:19 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
As noted the league adopted a set of guidelines put forward by the Wyatt Committee. Since all the other standards adopted have been ignored feel free to play five home games and travel to an FCS if that suits you.
04-29-2014 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.