Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greatest Conference Rivalries?
Bookmark and Share
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Greatest Conference Rivalries?
Who would take a shot at listing and ranking the Belt's in conference rivalries?

I get the potential for the in state stuff:
I see a lot of USA/Troy banter.
It seems that UL hates ULM and vise versa.
GAST is to say the least not beloved by Southern - but isn't a rivalry yet.

Is the Ark State/UL rivalry a hot one? Since they seem to be the top of the Conference. Since my perception is that Troy is traditionally close or even with those two, what about Troy/Ark State or Troy/UL?

I realize that our rivalry with App State is new to the conference - but if I were doing the ranking, I would immediately put it near the top of such a list. But I of course don't expect any of you to consider it that yet.
04-24-2014 09:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
RE: Greatest Conference Rivalries?
As a stAte fan, I love to beat the Cajuns. They think they are better than they really are.
04-24-2014 09:25 AM
panama Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Georgia STATE
[Image: iKiHBypNAuwy5.gif]
04-24-2014 09:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
I don't think noobie-ness precludes a rivalry from being at the top of the list.

What are the criteria?
04-24-2014 09:50 AM

boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
I think the GS App rivalry is (was) the FCS equivalent of Ohio St Michigan. Each of us fighting for the top of the conference year in and year out, so many times where the lower ranked one has taken the higher ranked one down. Nine combined National Championships. Us breaking your long-ass home winning streak and being your only loss the Michigan win year, you guys stealing Armanti from us when we changed coaches, and owning us for the last few years. All the debates about blown calls. Plus the social/geographic juxtaposition of mountain rednecks vs. flatland rednecks, snow and cold vs. heat and gnats. There's A LOT that goes into it when you think about it. I have to admit that us moving up together has me feeling slightly brotherly towards yall these days, but I will fight through that and re-connect with my inner hatred soon enough.

Bottom line, even though we are FBS noobs, I have a hard time believing that ANY SB rivalry has the same amount of multi-layered, longstanding strength than the Black and Blue Bowl does.
04-24-2014 10:49 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-24-2014 09:25 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  As a stAte fan, I love to beat the Cajuns. They think they are better than they really are.

I love to beat the Staters in bowling! Wait, we don't have a bowling team damn it! 03-lmfao
04-24-2014 11:01 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
The stAte/Cajun rivalry has really heated up the last three years. Before that point, Id say Troy was our football rival.

In terms of all sports...nothing beats stAte/UALR. As witnessed in the SBC Tournament.
04-24-2014 11:27 AM

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(04-24-2014 11:27 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The stAte/Cajun rivalry has really heated up the last three years. Before that point, Id say Troy was our football rival.

In terms of all sports...nothing beats stAte/UALR. As witnessed in the SBC Tournament.

Chief you have to remember how much we love UALR' s head coaches. At least MBB and baseball.05-stirthepot
04-24-2014 05:10 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(04-24-2014 10:49 AM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  I think the GS App rivalry is (was) the FCS equivalent of Ohio St Michigan. Each of us fighting for the top of the conference year in and year out, so many times where the lower ranked one has taken the higher ranked one down. Nine combined National Championships. Us breaking your long-ass home winning streak and being your only loss the Michigan win year, you guys stealing Armanti from us when we changed coaches, and owning us for the last few years. All the debates about blown calls. Plus the social/geographic juxtaposition of mountain rednecks vs. flatland rednecks, snow and cold vs. heat and gnats. There's A LOT that goes into it when you think about it. I have to admit that us moving up together has me feeling slightly brotherly towards yall these days, but I will fight through that and re-connect with my inner hatred soon enough.

Bottom line, even though we are FBS noobs, I have a hard time believing that ANY SB rivalry has the same amount of multi-layered, longstanding strength than the Black and Blue Bowl does.

The mutual respect coupled with white-hot hatred is what does it for me. I literally live on tobacco road. Duke/UNC is the sporting event of the year around here. When it comes to that rivalry you have blind hate and no respect.

App/Southern is something unique.
04-24-2014 07:06 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
The Black and Blue Bowl is brutal. I think each team tries to take out the other schools team physician first so subsequent damage
is compounded. Just the fact that our rival is Georgia Southern and they are too cool for school. They remind me of:
[Image: avatar749_1_zps3e709ff6.jpg~original]
They had that snappy Triple Option. Their kind of TO was so exciting you could get a good nap while their offense stumbled down
the field with the ball. They rushed for a lot of yards though, and won a lot of games. Heck they didn't even complete a pass against
their last victim, someone calling itself Florida. Bet with their new passing attack they step it up and have ten or fifteen yards passing a game. So guess no more naps.
---------------------------------------------------------------++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
04-24-2014 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.