Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

John Brady from Arkansas State
Bookmark and Share
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
John Brady from Arkansas State
Is this guy on USM's short list? He's from the area, he took LSU to the final four, and he's had pretty decent results at Arkansas State. He's a little abrasive (more Eustacy than Tyndall), but I thought he was really good at LSU.
04-23-2014 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: John Brady from Arkansas State
you can do better
04-23-2014 09:38 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(04-23-2014 09:38 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  you can do better

I haven't seen any names suggested that excite me.

If we get a rising star, it will be based on the fact that we've sent two coaches in succession on to million-dollar contracts. We don't have much appeal beyond that as far as I can tell.
04-23-2014 09:43 AM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
Lateral move for Brady, and nothing that really fires up the base for USM either. Not sure either party would be terribly excited about Brady.
04-23-2014 10:01 AM
EaglehasLanded Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Andre, just because they aren't "big" names doesn't mean they aren't exciting. I would be thrilled to get Greg Heiar who is an asst. at Wichita St. and former Southern Miss asst. the guy lost 15 games in 6 years as HC at Chipola JC in Florida. He is an awesome recruiter and the players like him.

Brad Underwood from Stephen F. Austin would be another nice hire. I think he only lost 3 or 4 games this past season.
04-23-2014 10:02 AM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(04-23-2014 10:02 AM)EaglehasLanded Wrote:  Andre, just because they aren't "big" names doesn't mean they aren't exciting. I would be thrilled to get Greg Heiar who is an asst. at Wichita St. and former Southern Miss asst. the guy lost 15 games in 6 years as HC at Chipola JC in Florida. He is an awesome recruiter and the players like him.

Brad Underwood from Stephen F. Austin would be another nice hire. I think he only lost 3 or 4 games this past season.

That's two good one's right there. Those names ought to excite the base.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 10:03 AM by HogDawg.)
04-23-2014 10:03 AM
Advertisement

EaglehasLanded Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(04-23-2014 10:03 AM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 10:02 AM)EaglehasLanded Wrote:  Andre, just because they aren't "big" names doesn't mean they aren't exciting. I would be thrilled to get Greg Heiar who is an asst. at Wichita St. and former Southern Miss asst. the guy lost 15 games in 6 years as HC at Chipola JC in Florida. He is an awesome recruiter and the players like him.

Exactly! I would be extremely excited with either one. I also think they'd only be here for 2-3 years before getting a big offer. At that point, we could turn to one of our own, Jay Ladner, who just took the job at Southeast Louisiana University. Jay won the JUCO national championship this year at Jones County Junior College which is about 20 minutes from Hattiesburg. I expect him to be successful at SLU and then be ready to jump to Southern Miss next go round.
04-23-2014 10:14 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
USM should give Steve Forbes out of Wichita St. a look
04-23-2014 10:20 AM
Theflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
As a WKU fan, I beg USM to hire Brady. Please.
04-23-2014 10:23 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(04-23-2014 10:01 AM)HogDawg Wrote:  Lateral move for Brady, and nothing that really fires up the base for USM either. Not sure either party would be terribly excited about Brady.
I've had a hard time nailing down Brady's exact salary. His base was announced as $100,000 when he was hired. I think a more realistic figure is $350,000 per year, after non-base opportunities and raises are factored in. USM would pay him significantly more. Tyndall made $550,000.

Another issue is our arena. McGillis ought to go ahead and announce any upgrades. I suspect that the delay relates to the fact that we rely so heavily on wealthy individuals to get anything done. It's time to start thinking about making our students bear their portion of athletic costs, to a level comparable with the schools we're trying to compete with. As things stand now, McGillisis having to call donors in aaddition to coaching prospects, and that just sucks.
04-23-2014 10:34 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1h
Names in mix for Marshall opening: Eastern Kentucky's Jeff Neubauer, West Va assistant Ron Everhart and Stephen F. Austin's Brad Underwood.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN
04-23-2014 10:35 AM
Advertisement

EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Brady is a washed up has been. He hasn't won anything at AState.
04-23-2014 10:36 AM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Ive known brady for years being from the same area. He tried really hard to replace Turk. However people on the selection committee who were also from his hometown and knew John his whole life blackballed him for some reason. I doubt there would be mutual interest.
Plus after reading of his handling of pete maravich's son at lsu, im not sure I would want him leading our program.
04-23-2014 10:42 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(04-23-2014 10:42 AM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Ive known brady for years being from the same area. He tried really hard to replace Turk. However people on the selection committee who were also from his hometown and knew John his whole life blackballed him for some reason. I doubt there would be mutual interest.
Plus after reading of his handling of pete maravich's son at lsu, im not sure I would want him leading our program.

That's really interesting. I'll have to read up on the Maravich thing... IIRC the kid was just not that talented, and I also remember that Brady was very, very blunt about his players and about things like the inability of certain walk-ons to get playing time. The dude can come across as a jerk (as could Eustacy), and no doubt that hurt his popularity with the Dairy Queen parking lot crew back in McComb.
04-23-2014 11:19 AM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
Brady does make about 350k, maybe a little less. I would not be sad to see him leave ASU. He has done o.k., but nothing special. He has put together "patch-work" teams of JUCO transfers and kids from other schools. I think his best years are behind him.
04-23-2014 12:51 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

Well, maybe we can do better. I'm apprehensive, though. In what seems like the blink of an eye, we went from Fedora/Eustacy to the current situation, in which our two major head coach positions account for a grand total of one victory. And an up-and-comer will always be a risk.
04-23-2014 01:21 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
All you need to know about Brady to know enough you don't want him coaching your team....

he had 3 one and done transfers on his team this past year. If that wasn't bad enough one of them (Brandon Reed) played his fr year under Brady at ASU and then transferred out. On the way out the door he bad mouth, the coach, the school, the town, and the program. Yet Brady let him come back and play his Sr year at ASU after he failed to be the star he thought he was at G Tech.
04-23-2014 01:56 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(04-23-2014 10:35 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  West Va assistant Ron Everhart

That's who Tulane should have hired in 2005, but our dingbat AD didn't want anything to do with the Perry Clark era.
04-23-2014 05:09 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

Those two are the two primaries choices I can get behind as a fan.

I'm probably however, the only USM fan that could like Stansberry (former Bulldog coach) as a choice.
04-23-2014 08:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2014 08:04 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

Those two are the two primaries choices I can get behind as a fan.

I'm probably however, the only USM fan that could like Stansberry (former Bulldog coach) as a choice.
We are not slimy enough to hire Stans. He would be about as bad as Kenny Payne
04-23-2014 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.