Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco silence on Autonomy agenda
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Aresco silence on Autonomy agenda
Aresco has been a great spokesman for AAC...up until now.

Right now, the AAC needs him to be the loudest he ever has been. RIGHT NOW, THIS VERY SECOND.

The Autonomy agenda is getting rammed through by the so called power 5, with no AAC resistance. Why isn't aresco screaming and kicking at the top of his lungs.

This negatively affects the aac permanently. Permanently. Aresco needs to be railing against this power grab 24/7, 7 days a week, 365, yet we here..................NOTHING............SILENCE.

When will be hear Aresco/AAC powers that be SPEAK AND BE HEARD. Do not accept this second tier status laying down. Go down fighting. Please speak up against thiw power grab NOW.
04-22-2014 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: Aresco silence on Autonomy agenda
Maybe Aresco knows that the "autonomy agenda" is no threat to the AAC.
04-22-2014 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2014 12:10 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Maybe Aresco knows that the "autonomy agenda" is no threat to the AAC.

I wish you were right, but feel you couldn't be more wrong.
04-22-2014 12:11 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Guess what the SEC is voting on in their next meeting.....going to 9 conference games. Hmm, let's think about that; nine conference games will probably mean a bunch of 4-5 and 3-6 records in-conference, yet the SEC has 12 bowl tie-ins (prob. an exaggeration). How are they going to meet their obligations because there aint a lot of margin for error for those middling SEC schools who want to/must go bowling.

Solution: given autonomy, let's vote that any "P5" school with a 5-7 record or better will qualify for a bowl; because after all, we are P5.

Now this may be taking an issue to far, however, the point remains that once these P5's clear up their 'student athlete' house-cleaning where are they going to turn. That's right, they'll continue to make their house cushier and cushier at the expense of everyone else. I hate to use the 1% anology here but geez, making rules to 'insulate yourself' from competition just doesn't seem very American to me.
04-22-2014 12:15 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The decision was already made last year...even 2 years ago that you are part of the the G5. No contract bowl, no big TV contract.....3/4 of conference is from CUSA.

You were lucky to keep the BCS bid.

If you have your commissioner whine and complain, then it really doesn't look good. You can put your best face forward and see what you can do, because, the AAC and the MW or others have no control over what the P5 conferences do from this point on.
04-22-2014 12:17 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
Aresco just knows that the P5 has no plans to include the American at the big boys table even if he makes a fuss. Short of litigation, his hands are tied. Even with litigation, if the American loses the lawsuit then the P5 teams will never play us again (thus marginalizing us).

It sort of is what it is. Our only course of action may be having signed petitions sent to our congressmen that declare that the P5 is in violation of antitrust laws. Even then, the issue will likely be ignored.
03-pissed
04-22-2014 12:20 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-22-2014 12:17 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The decision was already made last year...even 2 years ago that you are part of the the G5. No contract bowl, no big TV contract.....3/4 of conference is from CUSA.

If you have your commissioner whine and complain, then it really doesn't look good. You can put your best face forward and see what you can do, because, the AAC and the MW or others have no control over what the P5 conferences do from this point on.

Be sure to have Bob Kustra send us that check he owes us. 04-cheers
04-22-2014 12:26 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
And there is the possibility that Aresco knows he won't be AAC commissioner forever. And when he goes looking for another job, those conferences will remember his support through this "autonomy vote". As fans our support will be fixed to the teams we care about. For these ADs and conference commissioners, it's just another job.

Only reason I can come up with unless the AAC's acquiescence is buying us special status in the whole process, which I doubt.
04-22-2014 12:27 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(04-22-2014 12:27 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  And there is the possibility that Aresco knows he won't be AAC commissioner forever. And when he goes looking for another job, those conferences will remember his support through this "autonomy vote". As fans our support will be fixed to the teams we care about. For these ADs and conference commissioners, it's just another job.

Only reason I can come up with unless the AAC's acquiescence is buying us special status in the whole process, which I doubt.

Mike Aresco is in his 60's. I'm willing to bet that this is his last job.
04-22-2014 12:29 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(04-22-2014 12:26 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 12:17 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The decision was already made last year...even 2 years ago that you are part of the the G5. No contract bowl, no big TV contract.....3/4 of conference is from CUSA.

Kustra is like a deadbeat dad. He should try to have some class and honor his obligations. What a scumbag.
04-22-2014 12:29 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(04-22-2014 12:26 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Check is in the mail. $1,000,000.
04-22-2014 12:31 PM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
If the P5 threatened to leave, the rest of the D-1 should do the same now and be prepared to do just that. There is no longer the fear of being left without the P5, if this passes its already done. The have nots of D-1 have nothing to lose by setting out on their own. Create a new governing body, new tournaments, new rules that allow us to do what we have the means to do without limiting others that can follow suit if they choose too. If we have no recourse but to watch this pass, then why stay and do so? To what end?
04-22-2014 12:45 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2014 12:20 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  Aresco just knows that the P5 has no plans to include the American at the big boys table even if he makes a fuss. Short of litigation, his hands are tied. Even with litigation, if the American loses the lawsuit then the P5 teams will never play us again (thus marginalizing us).

It sort of is what it is. Our only course of action may be having signed petitions sent to our congressmen that declare that the P5 is in violation of antitrust laws. Even then, the issue will likely be ignored.
03-pissed

The way this is going, litigation may be the AAC's only solution.
04-22-2014 12:51 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2014 12:15 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  Guess what the SEC is voting on in their next meeting.....going to 9 conference games. Hmm, let's think about that; nine conference games will probably mean a bunch of 4-5 and 3-6 records in-conference, yet the SEC has 12 bowl tie-ins (prob. an exaggeration). How are they going to meet their obligations because there aint a lot of margin for error for those middling SEC schools who want to/must go bowling.

Solution: given autonomy, let's vote that any "P5" school with a 5-7 record or better will qualify for a bowl; because after all, we are P5.

Now this may be taking an issue to far, however, the point remains that once these P5's clear up their 'student athlete' house-cleaning where are they going to turn. That's right, they'll continue to make their house cushier and cushier at the expense of everyone else. I hate to use the 1% anology here but geez, making rules to 'insulate yourself' from competition just doesn't seem very American to me.

Why is the MWC and CUSA going along with this power grab also.

I just don't get it how you willingly vote away your powers.

Why would anyone/any confernce do that???
04-22-2014 12:53 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: Aresco silence on Autonomy agenda
(04-22-2014 12:45 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  If the P5 threatened to leave, the rest of the D-1 should do the same now and be prepared to do just that. There is no longer the fear of being left without the P5, if this passes its already done. The have nots of D-1 have nothing to lose by setting out on their own. Create a new governing body, new tournaments, new rules that allow us to do what we have the means to do without limiting others that can follow suit if they choose too. If we have no recourse but to watch this pass, then why stay and do so? To what end?

A separate G5 would not have to beat them. Just carve out a niche that makes more than they make now.

Rule changes that reward success on the field no matter who you are and pooling TV contracts for leverage.

Main benefit being that you can do anything you want without having to worry about protecting their advantages.

This of course would be a last resort.

The G5 need to cooperate and unify or get steamrolled.
04-22-2014 12:56 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(04-22-2014 12:56 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 12:45 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  If the P5 threatened to leave, the rest of the D-1 should do the same now and be prepared to do just that. There is no longer the fear of being left without the P5, if this passes its already done. The have nots of D-1 have nothing to lose by setting out on their own. Create a new governing body, new tournaments, new rules that allow us to do what we have the means to do without limiting others that can follow suit if they choose too. If we have no recourse but to watch this pass, then why stay and do so? To what end?

A separate G5 would not have to beat them. Just carve out a niche that makes more than they make now.

Rule changes that reward success on the field no matter who you are and pooling TV contracts for leverage.

Main benefit being that you can do anything you want without having to worry about protecting their advantages.

The G5 will get steamrolled whether they are united or divided. The only hope is to be included in some way with the P5 when this actually becomes its own subdivision in a few years. Any separate G5 stand alone division will just be received by the general public as the new FCS. Hell, you would probably end up with a bunch of current FCS schools in any new G5 division---so that would just solidify the perception that its just FCS in the minds of the press and casual fans.

Right now, the best the G5 can hope for is to modify the existing proposal to make any changes adopted by the P5 "permissive" (meaning any G5 conference can adopt them if they wish). I'd like to see the elimination of weighted voting as well, since there is no real reason for the P5 to have weighted voting if they have autonomy over their 5 conferences.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 01:07 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-22-2014 01:05 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-22-2014 12:02 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  When will be hear Aresco/AAC powers that be SPEAK AND BE HEARD. Do not accept this second tier status laying down. Go down fighting. Please speak up against thiw power grab NOW.

This should be no surprise. As I've noted time and again, Aresco is all hat and no cattle. He talks glibly to the media but in the meeting rooms where the big decisions have been made - about our AQ status, our access to big bowls, our media deals, etc. - he has come up woefully short.

Aresco does indeed need to pull out all the stops - publicly in the media but more importantly in the backrooms with conference commissioners and ADs - to stop this 'autonomy' movement, but since he has failed previously in these situations, I am not optimistic.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 01:09 PM by quo vadis.)
04-22-2014 01:08 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(04-22-2014 01:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The G5 will get steamrolled whether they are united or divided. The only hope is to be included in some way with the P5 when this actually becomes its own subdivision in a few years. Any separate G5 stand alone division will just be received by the general public as the new FCS. Hell, you would probably end up with a bunch of current FCS schools in any new G5 division---so that would just solidify the perception that its just FCS in the minds of the press and casual fans.

Right now, the best the G5 can hope for is to modify the existing proposal to make any changes adopted by the P5 "permissive" (meaning any G5 conference can adopt them if they wish). I'd like to see the elimination of weighted voting as well, since there is no real reason for the P5 to have weighted voting if they have autonomy over their 5 conferences.

Agree. The American needs to look out for itself. If that involves plunging a knife into the backs of the other G5 members in order to get the American included with the P5, so be it. 05-mafia
04-22-2014 01:09 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: Aresco silence on Autonomy agenda
(04-22-2014 01:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Not really. FCS is not an independent beast outside the playpen of the P5. An independent G5 would be an entirely different entity.
04-22-2014 01:11 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(04-22-2014 12:53 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 12:15 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  Guess what the SEC is voting on in their next meeting.....going to 9 conference games. Hmm, let's think about that; nine conference games will probably mean a bunch of 4-5 and 3-6 records in-conference, yet the SEC has 12 bowl tie-ins (prob. an exaggeration). How are they going to meet their obligations because there aint a lot of margin for error for those middling SEC schools who want to/must go bowling.

Why is the MWC and CUSA going along with this power grab also.

I just don't get it how you willingly vote away your powers.

Why would anyone/any conference do that???

I'm not sure where they stand on the issue but I would assume they are against it as well. The G5 are in the minority when it comes to the new voting procedure. So once we change, the G5 are kind of screwed in shared voting in addition to being left out autonomy subjects.

Weighted Voting System for Shared Governance.
The Steering Committee recommends a 4-2-1 voting model, whereby five conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big
12, Pac-12 and SEC) votes would be weighted at four each and the other five FBS conferences (AAC,
C-USA, MAC, MWC and Sun Belt) would be weighted at two each and the remaining 22 FCS/DI
conferences and the student-athletes would be valued at one each. The four commissioner votes
would be weighted according to the subgroup they represent. The 4-2-1 model breaks down as follows
regarding voting percentages:
NCAA Division I Steering Committee on Governance Report to Division I Board April 2014 p.36

• Five conferences (5x4) + one commissioner seat (1x4) = 24 = 38.7 percent.
• Middle five conferences (5x2) +one commissioner seat (1x2) = 12 = 19.4 percent.
• DI/FCS - 22 conferences (22x1) + two commissioner seats (2x1) = 24 = 38.7 percent.
• Two student-athletes (2x1) =2 = 3.2 percent.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 01:59 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
04-22-2014 01:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.