Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Haith to Tulsa?
Bookmark and Share
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Haith to Tulsa?
Medic, I'm hearing rumblings that Haith may go to Tulsa. I'm betting Mizzou would love for it to end that way. If so, it just made Tennessee's search that much harder. I can see Gregg Marshall taking a Missouri offer over Tennessee. I don't think Mizzou would have any problem finding a better fit than Haith.
04-17-2014 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Haith to Tulsa?
(04-17-2014 02:08 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Medic, I'm hearing rumblings that Haith may go to Tulsa. I'm betting Mizzou would love for it to end that way. If so, it just made Tennessee's search that much harder. I can see Gregg Marshall taking a Missouri offer over Tennessee. I don't think Mizzou would have any problem finding a better fit than Haith.
I agree with you a hundred percent.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 05:25 PM by hawghiggs.)
04-17-2014 05:24 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(04-17-2014 02:08 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Medic, I'm hearing rumblings that Haith may go to Tulsa. I'm betting Mizzou would love for it to end that way. If so, it just made Tennessee's search that much harder. I can see Gregg Marshall taking a Missouri offer over Tennessee. I don't think Mizzou would have any problem finding a better fit than Haith.
It is all over ESPN tonight. Why would he do that though? Missouri will be better off, but why leave an SEC school who plays BB in a 76 million dollar arena, for Tulsa? The only thing that adds up for me is that maybe he got wind that his contract would not be renewed...
04-17-2014 08:54 PM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-17-2014 08:54 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
It is all over ESPN tonight. Why would he do that though? Missouri will be better off, but why leave an SEC school who plays BB in a 76 million dollar arena, for Tulsa? The only thing that adds up for me is that maybe he got wind that his contract would not be renewed...

Maybe the past is starting to catch up.
04-17-2014 09:01 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
It's a blessing in disguise for Mizzou. He underachieved with a team that should have at least made the sweet sixteen, whiffed this year, and has continued to have discipline problems. Missouri has much more in the tank than what he has gotten out of them.
04-17-2014 10:16 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

It's looking more and more like a done deal... good for Mizzou. Like you said, Medic, I bet he saw the writing on the wall. Tennessee and Missouri are both top 30 jobs, in my opinion, so we may enter a mini-silly season for coaching swaps.
04-18-2014 09:35 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

Speaking of top 30 jobs, I think they are below in no particular order:

AAC - Connecticut, Memphis, Cincinnati

ACC - Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, NC State

Big East - Georgetown, Villanova

Big 10 - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Purdue, Wisconsin

SEC - Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas

Big 12 - Texas, Kansas, West Virginia

PAC - UCLA, Arizona, California
04-18-2014 09:45 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(04-17-2014 10:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  It's a blessing in disguise for Mizzou. He underachieved with a team that should have at least made the sweet sixteen, whiffed this year, and has continued to have discipline problems. Missouri has much more in the tank than what he has gotten out of them.
Mizzou was knocked out first round last year as well. It is a matter of preparing your kids for each game, which he didn't...
04-18-2014 11:21 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(04-18-2014 09:45 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Speaking of top 30 jobs, I think they are below in no particular order:

AAC - Connecticut, Memphis, Cincinnati

ACC - Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, NC State

Big East - Georgetown, Villanova

Big 10 - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Purdue, Wisconsin

SEC - Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas

Big 12 - Texas, Kansas, West Virginia

PAC - UCLA, Arizona, California
You've put together a pretty good list of schools there, bbb. You've done a nice job of mostly avoiding what I'd call "trap" schools, which may be appealing on the surface, but which can turn out to be a career quagmire due to high alumni expectations and tough conference competition. NC State may be one of those schools - the expectations are high, and there's more and more competition in the ACC even aside from those 2 notable schools just down the road. UCLA is also an awfully tough place to keep alums happy, even decades after Wooden's departure.

As for the Haith situation specifically, I suspect that Missouri has a good opportunity here. I think that they've been happily surprised by their great 2nd year in football, but they're probably smart enough to realize that football will always be a dog-eat-dog proposition, and for the long term it's probably wise to try to plant their flag as being a consistently top hoops school in the SEC. I'm skeptical that Haith would have gotten that done. Now whether or not they can get it right comes down to whether they pick the next Quin Snyder or next Bill Self. 04-cheers
04-18-2014 03:09 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

Good points on Mizzou, Phog. Kentucky certainly has that mentality about football and baseball. You do what you can to compete with the big dogs in conference, but you have to plant your flag for something. Men's basketball has been our bag for a while, and it is a natural progression for the women's program to do the same now that Pat Summit is no longer coaching.

NC State was the last school I added on that list. There are a number of schools that could move up on this list with just an extra push from their A.D.'s and alumni support ... Washington and Georgia especially come to mind. Of course, an excellent coach can put you up there for as long as they are on board, like Gonzaga, Butler, VCU, etc.
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Smart move by Haith. Essentially got himself an 8 year contract and a larger earning potential in college basketball.
04-18-2014 10:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.