[Image: Boise-State-in-Times-Square_6x9-333x500.jpg]
04-17-2014 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Now that realignment has settled..
I know those were desperate times, but the BE should have held off on the Times Square jumbotron announcements until the schools were actually in the league. I guess the idea was to put it up to make it tangible alla, "Seeing is believing."
04-17-2014 10:55 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Parting is such sweet sorrow...
04-17-2014 11:05 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(04-17-2014 10:55 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  I know those were desperate times, but the BE should have held off on the Times Square jumbotron announcements until the schools were actually in the league. I guess the idea was to put it up to make it tangible alla, "Seeing is believing."

Honestly if the BCS and AQ status had stuck around, I think Boise would have as well.
04-17-2014 11:07 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-17-2014 11:07 AM)megadrone Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 10:55 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  I know those were desperate times, but the BE should have held off on the Times Square jumbotron announcements until the schools were actually in the league. I guess the idea was to put it up to make it tangible alla, "Seeing is believing."

Honestly if the BCS and AQ status had stuck around, I think Boise would have as well.

It's remarkable how things have worked out for the AAC...

In a lot of ways, I think there was a lot of unforeseen addition through subtraction, as we parted ways with the defectors, and the conference has benefited as a more cohesive group.

Boise has since lost their coach, and the C7 had a very underwhelming year.
04-17-2014 11:42 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
I never wanted some East coast-West coast BS...I like our current membership.
04-17-2014 11:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Its too bad we didn't make that work. I'd have loved to make that whole western wing all-sports after the C7 left. Let Air Force say no. If we had picked up say Fresno, UNLV, and New Mexico--to go with Boise and SDSU, we would have had a very solid basketball league (6 bids) and be the odds on favorite every year to win the G5 BCS slot. The MW would be gutted and the AAC would stand alone on a tier between the P5 and the G5.
04-17-2014 11:52 AM
SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
(04-17-2014 11:52 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Its too bad we didn't make that work. I'd have loved to make that whole western wing all-sports after the C7 left. Let Air Force say no. If we had picked up say Fresno, UNLV, and New Mexico--to go with Boise and SDSU, we would have had a very solid basketball league (6 bids) and be the odds on favorite every year to win the G5 BCS slot. The MW would be gutted and the AAC would stand alone on a tier between the P5 and the G5.

Boise's football brand is on a level similar to the best football programs in the AAC. For that reason I grieve their departure (or non-arrival). That said it was a messy set-up to begin with, having East Coast and West Coast schools, but Boise screwed the MWC when they dictated the terms of revenue distribution.
04-17-2014 12:09 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Hard not to agree with Acoog. My thoughts exactly. It's too bad everyone got cold feet when we couldn't convince ESPN to pay more...even a couple of mil more/team would have kept Boise with that scenario and played very few crossover games (requiring big travel). Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in the future though.
04-17-2014 12:18 PM
SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
(04-17-2014 12:18 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  Hard not to agree with Acoog. My thoughts exactly. It's too bad everyone got cold feet when we couldn't convince ESPN to pay more...even a couple of mil more/team would have kept Boise with that scenario and played very few crossover games (requiring big travel). Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in the future though.

The AAC media contract was signed before the ACC grant of rights. Given the ACC grant of rights, decent TV ratings to date, and appearances and wins in the Fiesta Bowl and Men's Basketball National Championship, the AAC's contract should probably be valued in the range of $4 mil/year.

Assuming the conference stays intact and the AAC negotiators can do a somewhat satisfactory job at contract renewal or re-negotation, I wonder if Boise and SDSU would consider jumping back. No offense to other "TU" fans, but the Tulane and Tulsa invites in that case would likely be net-negative versus staying at 10...
04-17-2014 12:30 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
(04-17-2014 12:30 PM)SouthPhillyFall Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 12:18 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  Hard not to agree with Acoog. My thoughts exactly. It's too bad everyone got cold feet when we couldn't convince ESPN to pay more...even a couple of mil more/team would have kept Boise with that scenario and played very few crossover games (requiring big travel). Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in the future though.

The AAC media contract was signed before the ACC grant of rights. Given the ACC grant of rights, decent TV ratings to date, and appearances and wins in the Fiesta Bowl and Men's Basketball National Championship, the AAC's contract should probably be valued in the range of $4 mil/year.

Assuming the conference stays intact and the AAC negotiators can do a somewhat satisfactory job at contract renewal or re-negotation, I wonder if Boise and SDSU would consider jumping back. No offense to other "TU" fans, but the Tulane and Tulsa invites in that case would likely be net-negative versus staying at 10...

Depends on how the programs perform, especially Tulane as at least with Tulsa we have seen that winning wasn't really a cure-all for their fanbase, the jury is still out on whether winning programs at Tulane can sufficiently penetrate the NOLA market.

Not so sure Temple is any more valuable a brand than the TU's.
04-17-2014 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-17-2014 12:36 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 12:30 PM)SouthPhillyFall Wrote:  

Depends on how the programs perform, especially Tulane as at least with Tulsa we have seen that winning wasn't really a cure-all for their fanbase, the jury is still out on whether winning programs at Tulane can sufficiently penetrate the NOLA market.

Not so sure Temple is any more valuable a brand than the TU's.

Tulane will be a win if they can fill their new 25-30K stadium every week. The games will look fun on TV and if they can continue to be competitive, then the addition will be better than many envisioned when they were originally invited.

The western wing is still possible by adding 4 to go to 16. If divisional rules re relaxed, four 4 team pods would likely develop.

West

Boise
SDSU
Fresno
New Mexico, Colorado, AF, BYU or UNLV

Southwest

Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Tulane

East

Temple
UConn
Cinci
Navy

Southeast

USF
UCF
ECU
Memphis

The pods could rotate for football. Or you could play your pod and 1-2 from each other pod every year. For basketball, you play everyone once and have 2-4 home and homes. The two western pods would form the schedule backbone for most of the non-revenue sports in the west. The two eastern pods would do the same thing in east. Maybe one day...
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 12:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-17-2014 12:48 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-17-2014 12:36 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Not so sure Temple is any more valuable a brand than the TU's.

[Image: 2495917-9721791628-tumbl.gif]

Temple is one of the most traditional brands in college basketball. Top 10 All-time in wins.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 12:49 PM by BigEastHomer.)
04-17-2014 12:48 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(04-17-2014 12:48 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 12:36 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Not so sure Temple is any more valuable a brand than the TU's.

Temple is one of the most traditional brands in college basketball. Top 10 All-time in wins.

I know they have a great history but I really don't think they move the dial all that much.....and FBall still drives the bus.
04-17-2014 12:54 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-17-2014 12:54 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

I know they have a great history but I really don't think they move the dial all that much.....and FBall still drives the bus.

Tell that to Duke and UNC...

Temple gives this conference basketball cred that Tulane and Tulsa don't have. If you don't think that "moves the dial" on our television package (along with UCONN, Memphis, UC, etc) than you are greatly mistaken.

[Image: 37201754eecd3a4becee1d020554dcd42303da21...d33b7a.jpg]
04-17-2014 12:59 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
IMO Boise missed out, I just don't see the MWC having the SOS or tie ins to make the run like they have in the past. I could be wrong though.
04-17-2014 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
LOL I had never seen that before. Man, was the writing on the wall for the Big East or what?
04-17-2014 01:03 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(04-17-2014 12:59 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 12:54 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

Tell that to Duke and UNC...

Temple gives this conference basketball cred that Tulane and Tulsa don't have. If you don't think that "moves the dial" on our television package (along with UCONN, Memphis, UC, etc) than you are greatly mistaken.

[Image: 37201754eecd3a4becee1d020554dcd42303da21...d33b7a.jpg]

Well Temple was no flight risk and that cred really helped during the recent TV negotiations. I am not starting an anti temple campaign, they are great for the league but I just don't think their brand is all that valuable. Tulane has so much potential that it's scary, if they get it together then believe me people will be sorry for shating all over us. As for Tulsa, they have certainly competed at a high level for years, I just don't know whether they can really breakthrough their past ceiling.
04-17-2014 01:08 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
The terrible T's = Temple, Tulane and Tulsa
04-17-2014 01:18 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
I feel the same way about adding a western wing to the AAC as I feel about adding UMass. 03-no
04-17-2014 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.