Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for USF fans
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Question for USF fans
I really think USF is a tremendous asset in football for this league. Things, however, seem to be strangely quiet in the the USF camp. USF imo, should be one of the top football teams in this league and should be a candidate for the Access Bowl on a regular basis.

Couple of questions for USF fans.

1. Was Skip's main problem his inability to recruit Florida?
2. Do you think Taggert is the guy to turn the ship around
3. How far is USF from turning the program back into a contender?
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 01:01 PM by baruna falls.)
04-16-2014 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: Question for USF fans
(04-16-2014 12:59 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  I really think USF is a tremendous asset in football for this league. Things, however, seem to be strangely quiet in the the USF camp. USF imo, should be one of the top football teams in this league and should be a candidate for the Access Bowl on a regular basis.

03-rotfl
04-16-2014 01:08 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(04-16-2014 12:59 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  I really think USF is a tremendous asset in football for this league. Things, however, seem to be strangely quiet in the the USF camp. USF imo, should be one of the top football teams in this league and should be a candidate for the Access Bowl on a regular basis.

not a usf fan but COGS
1) no. skip wasnt as good a recruiter as taggart but was still out-recruiting most aac/big east team. it was more coaching than players

2) i think taggart can turn it around by getting them bowling on 70% of the years. i don't see taggart "competing for access on a regular basis" i think the best you'll get out of him is an occasionally 9 win season, rarely and not any time soon. im not a fan of his system in this league, i don't have faith in his ability to run that system (you'd think taggart was a defensive guy because usf was absolutely horrific in offense last year, but taggart is an offensive guy, and calls the plays, something he doesn't plan on giving up), and i question his ability to judge talent and prepare a team (he was calling potential conference championship preseason and a magical season, only to be destroyed by an fcs game 1)

3) literally as quick as next season, when you are dramatically out-recruiting everyone in your league it doesn't take much to be a contender with the appropriate changes. also i have no faith in any usf qb to compete on an elite level (including the rb at qb they have coming in). recruiting an elite qb would give me more faith in them turning it around
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 01:42 PM by pesik.)
04-16-2014 01:40 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(04-16-2014 01:40 PM)pesik Wrote:  

not a usf fan but COGS
1) no. skip wasnt as good a recruiter as taggart but was still out-recruiting most aac/big east team. it was more coaching than players

2) i think taggart can turn it around by getting them bowling on 70% of the years. i don't see taggart "competing for access on a regular basis" i think the best you'll get out of him is an occasionally 9 win season, rarely and not any time soon. im not a fan of his system in this league, i don't have faith in his ability to run that system (you'd think taggart was a defensive guy because usf was absolutely horrific in offense last year, but taggart is an offensive guy, and calls the plays, something he doesn't plan on giving up), and i question his ability to judge talent and prepare a team (he was calling potential conference championship preseason and a magical season, only to be destroyed by an fcs game 1)

3) literally as quick as next season, when you are dramatically out-recruiting everyone in your league it doesn't take much to be a contender with the appropriate changes. also i have no faith in any usf qb to compete on an elite level (including the rb at qb they have coming in). recruiting an elite qb would give me more faith in them turning it around

I will answer the questions later, but this is false. USF should be bowling more like 90-100% of the time, and WERE bowling basically every year under Leavitt in the old Big East. No reason USF shouldn't be bowl eligible each and every year. This "should" be an attainable goal every year.
04-16-2014 02:01 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American

I would have to agree with you. I personally think Houston and USF are sleeping giants to be honest. Big markets in fertile recruiting grounds. Pair them with UCF, Cincinnati and ECU and you should have a very strong football league. Tulane seems to be on the rise as well and Tulsa/SMU/Navy are generally solid. UConn is investing as well and should be back as s solid contributor soon enough. Should have the makings of a very strong league to be honest just need some of these programs to really step up.
04-16-2014 02:02 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(04-16-2014 02:01 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

not a usf fan but COGS

I will answer the questions later, but this is false. USF should be bowling more like 90-100% of the time, and WERE bowling basically every year under Leavitt in the old Big East. No reason USF shouldn't be bowl eligible each and every year. This "should" be an attainable goal every year.

i said "under taggart" and explained why. not that "usf" in general couldn't get that way
04-16-2014 02:21 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2014 02:21 PM)pesik Wrote:  

not a usf fan but COGS

i said "under taggart" and explained why. not that "usf" in general couldn't get that way

I disagree with you, becasue whatever you think about Taggart or his offensive system (which will be vastly improved this year, BTW), he is recruiting better than every other non P5 program. He should contend for access bowl on talent alone in a couple years. if not, then he did not utilize his talent.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 02:33 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
04-16-2014 02:33 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(04-16-2014 02:33 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

not a usf fan but COGS

I disagree with you, becasue whatever you think about Taggart or his offensive system (which will be vastly improved this year, BTW), he is recruiting better than every other non P5 program. He should contend for access bowl on talent alone in a couple years. if not, then he did not utilize his talent.

Taggart is a tremendous recruiter. I think one of the big stories waiting to be writted is what direction he will take the USF program. If he can do what he did for WKU, then USF is going to be a yearly contender for the top 1-3 spots in this league. UCF and USF, should provide this league with some very compelling match up's down the road. I just never understood what happened to Skip at USF and just how much rebuilding the USF program has needed these past few years.
04-16-2014 02:43 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(04-16-2014 01:08 PM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  

03-rotfl

04-bolt
04-16-2014 02:48 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

not a usf fan but COGS

should have been competing on talent alone this year. on paper preason last year you had top 10 national dline, multiple 4star wr's, and running backs on your team and he still managed to have the largest fbs/fcs blowout in ncaa history.

i think usf will be improved next year and even more the future years, but talent will only carry you so much in football, coachng is key and taggart hasn't shown he can do anything besides at best mediocre teams
04-16-2014 02:50 PM
UConnFB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UConn
Would USF ever consider bringing Jim Leavitt back? If not, go find a guy like him. He had his ups and downs but USF needs someone with his mentality to get consistent again.
04-16-2014 02:50 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2014 02:50 PM)UConnFB Wrote:  Would USF ever consider bringing Jim Leavitt back? If not, go find a guy like him. He had his ups and downs but USF needs someone with his mentality to get consistent again.

We think Taggart could be another Leavitt without the headaches. Time will tell though. To answer your question, no. Leavitt would never be back at USF. USF paid Leavitt somewhere in the neighborhood of 2M to go away.
04-16-2014 03:01 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2014 02:50 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 01:40 PM)pesik Wrote:  not a usf fan but COGS

should have been competing on talent alone this year. on paper preason last year you had top 10 national dline, multiple 4star wr's, and running backs on your team and he still managed to have the largest fbs/fcs blowout in ncaa history.

i think usf will be improved next year and even more the future years, but talent will only carry you so much in football, coachng is key and taggart hasn't shown he can do anything besides at best mediocre teams

I disagree again. Taggart took over the absolute worst FBS program in the country at WKU. The worst, bar none, at 0-12. In 2 years he had them going 7-1 in conference and bowl eligible.
04-16-2014 03:03 PM
UConnFB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UConn
(04-16-2014 03:01 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 02:50 PM)UConnFB Wrote:  Would USF ever consider bringing Jim Leavitt back? If not, go find a guy like him. He had his ups and downs but USF needs someone with his mentality to get consistent again.

We think Taggart could be another Leavitt without the headaches. Time will tell though. To answer your question, no. Leavitt would never be back at USF. USF paid Leavitt somewhere in the neighborhood of 2M to go away.

USF was fun to watch under Leavitt. But it's also too early to judge what Taggart is doing.
04-16-2014 03:07 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Holtz was one of the worst coaches we've ever seen... CWT is clearly a superhuman recruiter and all indications are given some talent he's a great coach, so I'm very optimistic. I'll be pleased if we make a bowl game next season and get some productive QB play.
04-16-2014 03:11 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(04-16-2014 03:03 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I disagree again. Taggart took over the absolute worst FBS program in the country at WKU. The worst, bar none, at 0-12. In 2 years he had them going 7-1 in conference and bowl eligible.

why does everyone over hype what he did at wku

wku wasnt a traditional bottom feeder and was just an fcs/fbs transitional, they were only bad 1 year before taggart came in and that was there fbs transitional year. 1 could easily argue that the dramatic improvement from 0-12 to 7-5 in 3 years was the flushing out of the fcs recruits and the addition of fbs players

and the year he was 7-1 in the SUNBELT! he lost by a large margin to a fcs and finished overall 7-5, and was 7-6 the next year.

im not saying he's a bad coach because he did help them handle the transition well, a lot better than a lot of teams but people need to stop acting like he took a perennial horrible team like idaho and magically made them good..
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 03:21 PM by pesik.)
04-16-2014 03:19 PM
Advertisement

PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(04-16-2014 03:03 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 02:01 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I will answer the questions later, but this is false. USF should be bowling more like 90-100% of the time, and WERE bowling basically every year under Leavitt in the old Big East. No reason USF shouldn't be bowl eligible each and every year. This "should" be an attainable goal every year.

I disagree again. Taggart took over the absolute worst FBS program in the country at WKU. The worst, bar none, at 0-12. In 2 years he had them going 7-1 in conference and bowl eligible.

I agree. I think Taggart is going to do good things at USF. The caliber player he is able to recruit at USF is so much higher than WKU. I mean lets be honest WKU isn't a football factory and it probably took everything he had to get just a few quality recruits. He seems to be doing very well at USF. I think they will be vastly improved this year and will reach a bowl with ease.
04-16-2014 03:21 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF

I see what you did there... with the trick question. I, for one, won't take part in your USF bashing.
04-16-2014 03:28 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
I'm a UCF guy, and like to take shots at USF fans from time to time. However, USF waited a little too long to get rid of Skip Holtz and that soured the culture of the football program imo. Holtz recruited some players that inherited his attitude and it didnt equate to good team football. USF is still dealing with those players. I think Taggert has a good message and good energy. I think once he clears those Holtz players out of mix, you'll see USF return to winning football.

I personally like the heated sh*t-talking that occurs between USF and UCF fans. Last year was devoid of that, except for shutting up the 0-4 talk from Bulls fans. Anyways, I think USF is heading the right direction and might surprise a few teams this year. Good luck Bulls.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 04:20 PM by Knightsweat.)
04-16-2014 04:19 PM
CPR Offline
2nd String

(04-16-2014 01:40 PM)pesik Wrote:  not a usf fan but COGS

QB is key in college football. That's why we've been struggling after Daniels graduated. I have a bad feeling we still don't have a good QB on the roster and we will continue to struggle. I don't understand why Holtz and now Taggert after 2 recruiting classes can't recruit a great QB. Very frustrating.
04-16-2014 04:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.