MyBB NCAA says athletes can eat now
04-15-2014 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: NCAA says athletes can eat now
Stupid move. Napier was playing politics. If he went to bed hungry it is because he CHOSE not to eat what was prepared for the athletes.

Between meals at home and meal money on the road they get close to $700 a month for food. Now certain schools will be giving athletes enough "meal money" so the players can have lobster at every meal.
04-16-2014 01:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
So what? Who cares how much they eat? The main concern for money is 250 grand a year under the table. Everything else is pocket change.
04-16-2014 06:31 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
steak and lobster time at some institutions now
04-16-2014 08:41 AM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(04-16-2014 06:31 AM)Pressed Rat Wrote:  So what? Who cares how much they eat? The main concern for money is 250 grand a year under the table. Everything else is pocket change.

Thing is they won't eat. They take the increased meal money and pocket it. Spend $20 a day on fast food then pocket the other $100-$130 a day. If you want to address the problem then you open up the rules on how the school can feed them, not open up the rule as to how much meal money they can get. UNLIMITED meal money means they can give the player a $1000 a day meal money if they wish. Someone leaves a paper trail and you find a kid somehow comes in to $100,000 then it can always be declared meal money.

Students athletes have meals available to them on campus and get decent meal money on the road if they do not waste it on a single meal. Or use it to purchase other items instead. Current max meal money is set at $35 per day for most days. That can be increased to $45 per day in cities where the cost of living is high. Then during NCAA Championship competition such as bowl game or tournaments they also get $20 a day for incidental expenses. So on the day that Napier complained about going to bed hungry at the NCAA finals. He potentially got $65 a day over the past 4 days for food and expenses. Potentially he received $260 for those four days
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 08:56 AM by ncrdbl1.)
04-16-2014 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Things have changed. When I was in college the athletes ate at the same "cafeteria" as the other students. However football and basketball players ate different on game day (home games).

I know back then the cafeteria closed about 6:30 pm. And as we all know a 19-21 year old can eat all day and most of us were hungry again by 9-10 pm. So, we made trips to McDonald's, ordered pizzas or made frequent trips to the vending machines.

Back in the day, they had training tables where the athletes were fed accordingly to maintain or gain weight and to burn energy. I guess those don't exist anymore?
04-16-2014 09:05 AM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(04-16-2014 08:56 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 06:31 AM)Pressed Rat Wrote:  So what? Who cares how much they eat? The main concern for money is 250 grand a year under the table. Everything else is pocket change.

Thing is they won't eat. They take the increased meal money and pocket it. Spend $20 a day on fast food then pocket the other $100-$130 a day. If you want to address the problem then you open up the rules on how the school can feed them, not open up the rule as to how much meal money they can get. UNLIMITED meal money means they can give the player a $1000 a day meal money if they wish. Someone leaves a paper trail and you find a kid somehow comes in to $100,000 then it can always be declared meal money.

Students athletes have meals available to them on campus and get decent meal money on the road if they do not waste it on a single meal. Or use it to purchase other items instead. Current max meal money is set at $35 per day for most days. That can be increased to $45 per day in cities where the cost of living is high. Then during NCAA Championship competition such as bowl game or tournaments they also get $20 a day for incidental expenses. So on the day that Napier complained about going to bed hungry at the NCAA finals. He potentially got $65 a day over the past 4 days for food and expenses. Potentially he received $260 for those four days

Was he speaking about being hungry at the NCAA or just in general as a student?

He probably never literally went hungry, but just made a point against the NCAA that denied his team an invitation to the 2013 tourney because they school didn't push enough of the students to graduate.
04-16-2014 09:15 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

The increase seems to me to be access to actual food not 'unlimited meal money.'

"The proposal would allow Division I schools to provide unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes, including walk-ons."
04-16-2014 10:21 AM
SigEpMike Offline
Devil's Advocate

CrappiesMemphis Hall of FameMemphis Hall of Fame
(04-16-2014 10:21 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  

The increase seems to me to be access to actual food not 'unlimited meal money.'

"The proposal would allow Division I schools to provide unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes, including walk-ons."

Of course...

The change isn't going to allow a school to give kids $1000 a day and call it meal money. There will be limits. Why would anyone be against kids getting food? Of course, we are talking about someone who complained that Coach Fuente likes Arby's sauce...so people complain about ridiculous things.
04-16-2014 10:29 AM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
(04-16-2014 10:29 AM)SigEpMike Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 10:21 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  

Of course...

The change isn't going to allow a school to give kids $1000 a day and call it meal money. There will be limits. Why would anyone be against kids getting food? Of course, we are talking about someone who complained that Coach Fuente likes Arby's sauce...so people complain about ridiculous things.

I don't think anyone is against a kid eating. I think it's more about "how much of an issue is this really?". From my limited understanding, food has always been readily available, though some stupid rules limited what some could be (so good for those changes). But I liken it more to "We didn't want to eat THAT" as opposed to "we didn't have enough to eat".
04-16-2014 11:46 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
If it isnt really an issue then there is no reason not to repeal the stupid, useless rule.
04-16-2014 11:52 AM
Advertisement

tigersgrizzfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: tigersgrizz
(04-16-2014 01:40 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Stupid move. Napier was playing politics. If he went to bed hungry it is because he CHOSE not to eat what was prepared for the athletes.

Between meals at home and meal money on the road they get close to $700 a month for food. Now certain schools will be giving athletes enough "meal money" so the players can have lobster at every meal.
is this sarcasm? it's hard to tell around here sometimes
04-16-2014 11:53 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...z2z4UTq8Fi

"• Memphis: With Gus's Fried Chicken and a bevy of dry-rubbed deliciousness at any number of quality barbecue joints, the Tigers should be national title contenders within three years."
04-16-2014 12:43 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Gummy bears were always available in the candy machines. I don't know why Napier went to bed hungry.
04-16-2014 01:03 PM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I consider this a new recruiting opportunity for Calipari ...

[Image: 100-Grand-Wrapper-Small.jpg]
04-16-2014 01:11 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
so we can't make fun of the cream cheese rule anymore?
04-16-2014 03:21 PM
Advertisement

Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
The old rule was ridiculous where they could have bagels as a snack but cream cheese made it a meal. This move is a no brainer.
04-16-2014 03:21 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Also, I hope no one believed that dude went to bed hungry. It was dumb for him to even say that.
04-16-2014 03:23 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SNF6 Offline
Go To Hell Ole Miss

I Root For: Vol Free USA
Oh good grief. No D-1 Athlete that I have ever known, went to bed hungry. I they they did, it was because of all there fat friend who stole/ate the food……who should not have. Absolutely absurd statement by a D-1 player.
04-16-2014 06:11 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
NCAA says athletes can eat now
(04-16-2014 11:53 AM)tigersgrizzfan Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 01:40 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Stupid move. Napier was playing politics. If he went to bed hungry it is because he CHOSE not to eat what was prepared for the athletes.

is this sarcasm? it's hard to tell around here sometimes

Sarcasm on the last sentence but on the rest....that is how the game is played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-16-2014 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.