Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CCG Deregulation looks good
Bookmark and Share
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
CCG Deregulation looks good
"Deregulation is expected to fly through and could be passed quickly by the NCAA board of directors. Both Swofford and Bowlsby have indicated there is no push-back from other conferences on the measure.
Then its up to conferences on how to determine their champion in the playoff era."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...era-begins
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 06:32 AM by hapapp.)
04-15-2014 06:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
RE: CCG Deregulation looks good
We still need to balance the divisions.
04-15-2014 07:13 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-15-2014 07:13 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  We still need to balance the divisions.

Yes, but we don't need to add, Just let Idaho go and play with 10.
04-15-2014 07:25 AM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(04-15-2014 07:25 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 07:13 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  We still need to balance the divisions.

Yes, but we don't need to add, Just let Idaho go and play with 10.

I can live with that. Unless a program is bringing something like strength, travel help, new state/market that could help with a new TV deal and or recruiting.

JMU still fits that bill in all areas in my book.
Maybe even MSU for basketball? Taking this board's word for it.

STILL: We take those two and IF we drop Idaho = we are still unbalanced. I guess there would be no rush to drop Idaho then until another program within the footprint really steps up and offers the conference all the things in the above list.

Only real other reason to add would be to keep such a potential program from being taken by another conference - which at this point is a non-threat except for maybe JMU.
04-15-2014 07:31 AM

asupatch Offline
2nd String

I Root For: APPY STATE!!
Id be fine with 10. No need to water down, Lamar, SHSU, Liberty just to get to 12.
04-15-2014 07:42 AM
Native Georgian Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tulane, Jags
If the Swofford-plan goes into effect, you won't be required to have divisions in the first place. You can just have 11 teams playing a conference schedule, and then the top 2 meet in a CCG.
04-15-2014 08:17 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
(04-15-2014 08:17 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
If the Swofford-plan goes into effect, you won't be required to have divisions in the first place. You can just have 11 teams playing a conference schedule, and then the top 2 meet in a CCG.

How can you choose a true top two with no divisions when you don't play every team? Divisions solve that by playing everyone in your division.
04-15-2014 08:27 AM

Saint3333 Online
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Or what if the east has two one loss teams and the west's best team has two losses to both of the two best east teams.

Drop Idaho and go to 10 teams by 2016 and then everyone will play all but one team each year.
04-15-2014 08:46 AM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(04-15-2014 08:27 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  

How can you choose a true top two with no divisions when you don't play every team? Divisions solve that by playing everyone in your division.

Divisions also help build rivalries. Although you could wind up with the two best programs on the same side/division - it is still fair as all teams would have a shot at the title and politics could not play a role. without a tie on one side of the division. I like having our destiny in our own hands.

Besides, we are going to 12 anyway. Now whether we stay there or not is another thing. I think we need to bring in programs if they help in strength and TV Market. We need the exposure and $.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 08:47 AM by The4thOption.)
04-15-2014 08:46 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-15-2014 08:27 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  

That's the point of the ACC proposed legislation though. Last year the top 2 teams didn't meet in the ACC title game. We got an over-matched Duke vs. FSU. If you recall, the Big XII almost never matched the two best teams because the divisions were so out of balance.

Under these rules you can select the teams any way you choose.

You can take #1 and #2 in the standings. (If there is a two-way tie, the tiebreaker determines home field).
You take #1 and #2 based on a rating system or a combination of rating systems.
You can take #1 in the standings and then pit them against the highest rated other team accoring to ratings.
You can take #1 in the standings a pit them against the highest rated team they didn't play in the regular season.
You can give the top seed to the team rated the highest in ratings, hosting the highest in the standings or vice versa.

The key is you have to tell everyone what the system is before the season and the system has to be transparent enough that people have a reasonable idea what a result on Saturday will do to the race.
04-15-2014 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.