Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A big plus for UMASS
Bookmark and Share
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
A big plus for UMASS
They host two BCS schools this year one that is local.
Expanding their on campus stadium and only playing these types of games at Gillette would be huge. How many non BCS schools can host a local BCS school or two in one year.

Boston College and Colorado
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 10:18 AM by MJG.)
04-13-2014 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

NuMexAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: A big plus for UMASS
(04-13-2014 10:16 AM)MJG Wrote:  They host two BCS schools this year one that is local.
Expanding their on campus stadium and only playing these types of games at Gillette would be huge. How many non BCS schools can host a local BCS school or two in one year.

New Mexico State hosted Minnesota and Boston College last year. First time we've ever hosted two BCS schools in one year. And I can only think of two other times - Cal in 2005 and Oregon State in 2001.
04-13-2014 10:50 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Look, I'm not opposed to extending a temporary and revokable lifeline to UMass if it means not taking a school I'm opposed to as a permanent member. That being said.

Is UMass really getting a 'home' game when they play 100 miles from campus?
04-13-2014 11:00 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Benson likes to add these so wouldn't be surprised if UMass is thrown in.
04-13-2014 11:12 AM

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
We're hosting Missouri next year.....that would be local to stAte.
04-13-2014 11:18 AM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(04-13-2014 10:16 AM)MJG Wrote:  They host two BCS schools this year one that is local.

WKU will host Louisville this year (very local and recent ncaa champs)and hosted Ole Miss this season.
04-13-2014 11:33 AM
Panarican Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ga Sou, Kansas
(04-13-2014 11:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Look, I'm not opposed to extending a temporary and revokable lifeline to UMass if it means not taking a school I'm opposed to as a permanent member. That being said.

Does it matter to us Away teams when we visit for a game in the Boston area? I think it is a win for the Sun Belt to accept UMASS as the 12th member FB only with NMSU all sports.
04-13-2014 11:42 AM

The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(04-13-2014 11:42 AM)Panarican Wrote:  
(04-13-2014 11:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Look, I'm not opposed to extending a temporary and revokable lifeline to UMass if it means not taking a school I'm opposed to as a permanent member. That being said.

Does it matter to us Away teams when we visit for a game in the Boston area? I think it is a win for the Sun Belt to accept UMASS as the 12th member FB only with NMSU all sports.

I don't think it is a win for the Sun Belt. Especially since they SUCK in football. They will bring the conference down.

And their stadium location doesn't matter as much to visiting fans except that there is going to be less excitement to play them if their side of the stadium is empty. AND - if they have little home support due to playing so far away from campus, then they probably aren't going to travel many fans which will hurt the reciprocal attendance numbers for the entire conference. As if that wouldn't already be impacted enough due to the distance they are from the rest of us. How many are going to Moscow this year from Southern? I'm not!

If they were permanent, I'd be worried about the future of a member that is failing to capture the support of their current students. If those current students don't experience fun times going to UMASS football games now, they aren't going to come back to "re-live" the glory days once they graduate and start making money that could find its way back to the program otherwise. What kind of future is that for them?

Now if we weren't going to take any body else (MSU,JMU,LU, EKU, etc.) then I could see it as a temp fix ONLY until one of those guys is ready or we are willing to take them. I'd rather go ahead and take Liberty.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 11:59 AM by The4thOption.)
04-13-2014 11:58 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
I am not pushing for UMass membership just thought it was a nice plus for them. The future schedules are three on campus three in Gillette. They are finishing up a thirty million dollar renovation before next season . Going forward only one or two Gillette games a year the rest on campus is the plan.

Does that make them desirable probably not but their situation is not as bad as most think.
04-13-2014 12:38 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
It is pretty simple, UMASS is a loss for the S-BC. They bring zero to the table when it comes to FBS football, and won't bring anything they are good at to the table. Unlike Notre Dame in the ACC, they are OK in one sport of note only. We do not need the 12th team, especially one that clearly only wants a safe harbor.
04-13-2014 04:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.