Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chris Mack to Cal
Bookmark and Share
InspectorHound Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Chris Mack to Cal
Can't wait for Lance and P Doc to start the Mick to Kentucky rumors when Calipari departs for the NBA hahaha.

04-10-2014 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
RE: Chris Mack to Cal
He ain't going to Cal

04-10-2014 09:36 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Cal interested in Xavier's Chris Mack

Shannon Russell, April 10, 2014

The University California has shown interest in Xavier men's basketball coach Chris Mack, sources confirmed Thursday.

The Golden Bears are in the throes of a coaching search following the retirement of Mike Montgomery, who decided after the season to end his six-year run with the program. The Pac-12 team this year posted a 21-14 record and lost to Southern Methodist in the NIT quarterfinals.

Mack, 44, just finished his fifth year with the Musketeers and is set to welcome the program's highest-ranked recruiting class. Mack (111-57) is fourth on Xavier's all-time wins list and has led the Musketeers to four NCAA tournaments, including Sweet 16s in 2010 and 2012.

Mack's name has cropped up in coaching searches throughout his tenure at his alma mater. Most recently before Cal, he was linked to the Wake Forest vacancy eventually filled by Tulsa's Danny Manning.

ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman said Cal has "strong interest" in Mack. CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish said "there appears to be serious interest on both sides."

Twitter was abuzz after Mack was linked to Cal, including one report that Mack had been offered the job.

The San Jose Mercury News later cited a source within Cal's athletic department that said the Bears have not offered the job to Mack or discussed it with him.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/xaviersp...k/7565683/

04-10-2014 10:02 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(04-10-2014 09:36 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  He ain't going to Cal

Only if they decide they don't want him. Bay area vs Norwood, P12 vs a fading BE, a major university vs a dump like xu. No brainer.

04-11-2014 06:19 AM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The success of Sean Miller at Arizona this past season is obviously the catalyst - better question, why would anyone west of the Mississippi be looking at Mack - is Cal hoping they can duplicate Arizona's success? It's a no brainer for Mack if offered the job, not sure if it would be a good hire on Cal's part though.

04-11-2014 12:58 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Chris Mack to remain at Xavier
Updated: April 12, 2014, 12:04 PM ET
By Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com

[Image: ncb_u_chrismack_msx864_600x400.jpg]
Chris Mack has coached Xavier to the NCAA tournament four times in his five seasons with the Musketeers. Frank Victores/USA TODAY Sports

Chris Mack will stay at Xavier.

Mack has decided to remain as the Musketeers' head coach after discussions regarding the California opening, sources told ESPN.

Mack, 44, has led the Musketeers to the NCAA tournament in four of his five seasons since taking over for Sean Miller in 2009. He took Xavier to the Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.

Cal coach Mike Montgomery retired earlier this month after six seasons in Berkeley. The 67-year-old had previously been a head coach at Montana, Stanford and in the NBA with the Golden State Warriors. He publicly pushed for his assistant, Travis DeCuire, to get the job.

California was 21-14 this past season and will lose seniors Justin Cobbs and Richard Solomon.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...head-coach

04-12-2014 11:12 AM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Told ya

04-12-2014 03:21 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
haha wow...i would have BOLTED for Cal in a heartbeat vs coaching XU

04-13-2014 11:28 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
I suspect Cal kicked the tires but in the end didn't like what they saw...

04-13-2014 11:53 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
He's a Cincinnati native... I don't see Cal as being that much more attractive to him. Let's face it the nBE is not the Old BE. He can win and make the tourney probably easier at X than in the PAC 12 with AZ, UCLA, etc.

04-14-2014 09:20 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-13-2014 11:53 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  I suspect Cal kicked the tires but in the end didn't like what they saw...

Good insight. You often see this in the hiring process for college coaches. The school privately declines interest after taking a closer look but because it became public they allow the candidate to opt-out to save face.

04-14-2014 03:07 PM
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(04-14-2014 09:20 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  He's a Cincinnati native... I don't see Cal as being that much more attractive to him. Let's face it the nBE is not the Old BE. He can win and make the tourney probably easier at X than in the PAC 12 with AZ, UCLA, etc.

Berkeley/San Fran Bay Area > Cincinnati

04-14-2014 08:47 PM
colsbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-14-2014 08:47 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 09:20 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  He's a Cincinnati native... I don't see Cal as being that much more attractive to him. Let's face it the nBE is not the Old BE. He can win and make the tourney probably easier at X than in the PAC 12 with AZ, UCLA, etc.

I agree if you're visiting. But if the decision was put in front of me even with more money to make up for the cost of living increase, to pack up all my stuff and leave my family and friends, I would pass and wouldn't even have to think that long about it. I'm sure he's waiting on something better to come along. Why leave the recruiting class he's got coming in and plus james backwards may be coming back, he should have a pretty good team next year and get better offers.

04-15-2014 06:49 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
(04-15-2014 06:49 AM)colsbearcat Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 08:47 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

I agree if you're visiting. But if the decision was put in front of me even with more money to make up for the cost of living increase, to pack up all my stuff and leave my family and friends, I would pass and wouldn't even have to think that long about it. I'm sure he's waiting on something better to come along. Why leave the recruiting class he's got coming in and plus james backwards may be coming back, he should have a pretty good team next year and get better offers.

I just spent 2 weeks working in Santa Ana... loved it! But home is Cincinnati; Mack and Cronin are also Cincinnati natives. Do you expect Cronin to take a job with a PAc 12 school like Cal if offered..?

04-15-2014 08:46 AM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Don't get hung up with the idea that a local guy will not move to further his career. If either of them feel they can do better in a P-5 conference and make more money at the same time, both would be gone.

The Big East is clearly not what it used to be with less competition and a ****** TV contract. That will affect recruiting and eventually impact Mack's job.

The AAC has similar problems and in some ways may already be ahead of the Big East. But unless Cronin sees some improvement in how the BB program is funded and there is not a plan upcoming to improve our facilities, he too will move on. Someone will say that he won't move because of his daughter. You may be right in the short term. But over the long haul, he wants what other coaches have and will move to get it if needed.

Cincinnati is nice and living near family is nice. But happiness is your job trumps both. And there are many cities that would trump Cincinnati to achieve happiness.

04-15-2014 11:17 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
I think it comes down to opportunity to succeed. I would be utterly shocked if Cronin left for anything other than a blue blood college basketball job. He has built something here, he is at a program with great history where you can win big, this also happens to be his alma matter and he has family here. When you weight positives vs. negatives do you risk leaving to rebuild a program without UC's history because facilities may be a little better? It's why a job like Minnesota or NC State never worried me. There is so much that goes into success in college basketball. Some programs with great facilities have never won crap. A coach wants to be somewhere he can win and a high level and have job stability. UC offers that for Mick and I don't think the he would trade that in for anything short of low risk/ high reward blue blood jobs.

04-15-2014 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
You are right. I never meant to imply that he would leave for any job.

But given the right opening with the other factors not being addressed and he will be gone.

04-15-2014 01:35 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
(04-15-2014 11:56 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I think it comes down to opportunity to succeed. I would be utterly shocked if Cronin left for anything other than a blue blood college basketball job. He has built something here, he is at a program with great history where you can win big, this also happens to be his alma matter and he has family here. When you weight positives vs. negatives do you risk leaving to rebuild a program without UC's history because facilities may be a little better? It's why a job like Minnesota or NC State never worried me. There is so much that goes into success in college basketball. Some programs with great facilities have never won crap. A coach wants to be somewhere he can win and a high level and have job stability. UC offers that for Mick and I don't think the he would trade that in for anything short of low risk/ high reward blue blood jobs.

I think many of the things you say about Cronin (I agree) are also true with Mack. I don't think Cal rises to that level for him. I think it will be harder to hire Coach Cronin away from UC than Mack from XU; but I think they both have ties to the area and their respective Universities to stay.

I'm pretty sure that Eggsavier wanted to give Mack a chance because they thought they could stop the revolving door.

04-15-2014 01:38 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators

Cuonzo Martin leaves Vols for Cal

Updated: April 15, 2014, 9:10 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

BERKELEY, Calif. -- A more relaxed fan base, milder weather and a chance to coach at the top-rated public university in the country added up to Cuonzo Martin making the decision to leave Tennessee for California.

Cal hired Martin as the 16th men's basketball coach in school history Tuesday, a decision that stunned Volunteers administrators and players after he had reaffirmed his commitment to Tennessee just two weeks ago. Martin said it was a difficult move but the opportunity at Cal was too much to pass up.

"It's a beautiful place. I got off the plane and I just said, 'Ahhh,' " Martin said during his introductory news conference in Berkeley. "I think it has a chance to be special here. I think that's the most intriguing thing to me. It's a place I could spend the rest of my life."

Cal athletic director Sandy Barbour said Martin's contract, which is still being finalized, is for five years. Financial details will be released at a later date.

Martin also said he will bring "quite a few" of his assistant coaches from Tennessee to Cal once his contract is complete.

Martin replaces Mike Montgomery, who retired last month after six seasons in Berkeley. Martin went 63-41 in three seasons at Tennessee, including a 24-13 mark and an appearance in the regional semifinals of the NCAA tournament this season. He also was previously the coach at Missouri State.

Martin succeeds one of the most successful college coaches in the history of the San Francisco Bay Area. Montgomery finished his career with a 677-317 record, having also spent 18 years at Stanford and eight at Montana.

Cal hasn't hired a head coach that spent the previous season as the head coach at another major conference school since 1954 when it brought in Pete Newell of Michigan State, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Newell went on to win the school's only national championship in 1959.

Replacing a revered coach is nothing new for Martin.

Martin, a 42-year-old native of East Saint Louis, Illinois, took over a Tennessee program under NCAA investigation in 2011 and has averaged 21 wins per year. But, at times, he struggled to escape the shadow of former coach Bruce Pearl, who led the Volunteers to NCAA tournament appearances in each of his six years on the job.

"For me, as a coach, your style is your style," Martin said. "I don't mind following guys. I like learning from guys."

[Image: ncb_g_martin01jr_600x400.jpg]
Cuonzo Martin, who spent three seasons at Tennessee, will be Cal's new coach. Rob Kinnan/USA TODAY Sports

The decision left players, administrators and fans back in Knoxville stunned. Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart said he didn't know Martin was involved in the Cal job until they spoke Tuesday morning.

"We did have a conversation. He was very emotional," Hart said. "The bottom line is he said in his heart he believed this was best for (him) and his family."

Hart said he wishes Martin "nothing but success" at Cal and understands why he left after a "tough year."

When Tennessee was struggling earlier this season, disgruntled fans started an online petition to bring back Pearl, who has since been hired by Auburn. Martin began to silence his critics when Tennessee revived its season by winning eight of nine games before falling 73-71 to Michigan in the Midwest Regional semifinals.

Martin also spoke with Marquette about its coaching vacancy a few weeks ago, but he pulled his name from consideration. Hart said soon afterward that the university was reworking Martin's contract. Martin also released a statement through the university on April 1 reaffirming his position at Tennessee, saying "Tennessee is where I want to be. That has never changed."

Two weeks later, it did.

Many of Martin's former Tennessee players expressed support for the coach on Twitter. Some even referenced the fan backlash as a reason he left.

"Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return," wrote Vols guard Jordan McRae.

Martin, for his part, downplayed the petition. He said he didn't pay attention to it at first, then tried to use it as motivation for his players during the season's stretch run.

"They just woke up a hungry bear," Martin said. "It wasn't a big deal at all."

Hart said he did not believe Martin left because of money. Martin was set to make $1.35 million the next two years, which ranked him in the bottom half of Southeastern Conference coaches, but Hart said Tennessee offered him a two-year extension worth $1.8 million in each of the next four years. Martin's buyout option from Tennessee dropped from $2.6 million to $1.3 million on April 1.

Martin is not the only one changing his tune about Tennessee, either.

Kingsley Okoroh, a 7-foot-1 center originally from England who played this season for Westwind Preparatory Academy in Phoenix, announced on Twitter that he has switched his verbal commitment from Tennessee to California. Okoroh had verbally committed to Tennessee on Monday.

Martin previously served as coach at Missouri State, going 61-41 in three seasons, including win totals of 24 and 26 in his final two seasons. In 2010-11, Martin guided Missouri State to the regular-season Missouri Valley championship and was named the conference's Coach of the Year.

As a player, Martin earned first-team All-Big Ten honors in 1995 at Purdue when he averaged 18.4 points per game and made 91 3-pointers. After playing two seasons in the NBA, he served on the staff at his alma mater from 2000-08 -- first as an assistant coach under Gene Keady and in his final year as associate head coach.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...lden-bears

04-15-2014 09:25 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
"Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return," wrote Vols guard Jordan McRae.

There in lies the rub between a fan base with passion and one without it. Cal is milk toast. E Tennessee is
also devoid of black people, Oakland is not. You can be on the bubble at Cal and nobody cares. Me thinks if Painter
does not get it right at Purdue, then Martin would be Purdue's first look. UT has very good basketball fan support.

04-15-2014 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.