Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Republicans plan for replacing Obamacare?
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Republicans plan for replacing Obamacare?
Earlier this week, the Washington Post reported in an "exclusive" front-page story that House Republicans are at long last promoting their alternative to Obamacare. According to the Post, the new plan, roundly panned, is really just a compilation of the same old health care proposals that Republicans have been floating for years, including allowing the sale of insurance plans across state lines, high-risk insurance pools, and, notably, restrictions on medical-malpractice lawsuits.

Like so many of the Republicans' health care reform proposals, capping damages in and otherwise restricting malpractice lawsuits isn't likely to have a big impact on health care costs, or on expanding coverage to the uninsured. Just ask the state of Florida, whose Supreme Court on Thursday overturned a law similar to the one House Republicans are pushing.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/...y-windfall
03-20-2014 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Republicans plan for replacing Obamacare?
Tort reform is just a way to shaft people. It's the single worst Republican 'reform' idea.
03-20-2014 11:13 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Their first obligation should be to "do no harm". zerOcare is harming millions, perhaps tens of millions, of otherwise law abiding, hard working, innocent Americans just making their way playing by the rules and taking care of their own. For some reason that is now viewed with scorn and we are being told we are "greedy", or unpatriotic.

Good to see motherjones still working in hyper-drive to convince the intellectually lazy that this plan, passed on a mountain of lies, is a good approach.
03-20-2014 11:17 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(03-20-2014 11:11 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Earlier this week, the Washington Post reported in an "exclusive" front-page story that House Republicans are at long last promoting their alternative to Obamacare. According to the Post, the new plan, roundly panned, is really just a compilation of the same old health care proposals that Republicans have been floating for years, including allowing the sale of insurance plans across state lines, high-risk insurance pools, and, notably, restrictions on medical-malpractice lawsuits.

Like so many of the Republicans' health care reform proposals, capping damages in and otherwise restricting malpractice lawsuits isn't likely to have a big impact on health care costs, or on expanding coverage to the uninsured. Just ask the state of Florida, whose Supreme Court on Thursday overturned a law similar to the one House Republicans are pushing.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/...y-windfall

Which had they been implemented, would have drastically reduced the cost of health care.

Regarding malpractice, this will have a significant cost control since it will minimize the unnecessary tests that doctors order to cover their a$$es. I've seen estimates that this would reduce medical costs by $210 billion in 2009 (NY Times).
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 11:28 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
03-20-2014 11:23 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
#Fullrepeal
03-20-2014 11:31 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
With all due respect, bud...

Those are precisely what need to be done... other than the malpractice reform which is simply something that resonates with certain constituents. Any argument that it isn't is partisan and not practical... and certainly not based in facts. Unfortunately, the LIE that we are making healthcare more available and covering everything for everyone for less money (this is what many people believe) is easier to sell and tell than the truth of how the 'business' of healthcare and insurance actually works.

Healthcare as it is practiced today is really pretty simple. The problem is that the government is trying to turn it into a commodity... like auto repair... to control costs. It treats all patients the same, all ailments and all doctors the same... when we all know that the primary contributor to excellent as opposed to barely passable healthcare is the individualized treatment and focus on quality.

Insurers have demonstrated a far better ability to control costs than the government. It's not even really close. Health Insurance policies (like auto insurance is) can be regulated to REQUIRE coverage for a specific list of ailments/treatments... and then offer individualized opportunities from there. It's math and choices, not rocket science... and CERTAINLY not politics. This is how Europe uses ICD-10 and they have for 15+ years now. We're still on ICD-9 because we (the government) use it to calculate reimbursement. Nobody else does it this way.

Under Obamacare, Taxpayers take the risk and all 'reward' gets expensed by the government (when has a government program EVER come in under budget? If they are under budget, they 'make up' things to buy because they don't want their budget cut the next year). Under alternatives, insurers take the risk and the reward... but excessive rewards are limited by competition. The typical reward for an insurer is a relatively low profit margin. Sure, the numbers are huge... but the percentages are very small.

In all seriousness... I don't think any of you can name one 'good' thing that Obamacare does that couldn't be done more efficiently through simple, easily enforced and appropriate regulation.

Unnecessary testing which is long a point of contention with the tort-reform group (and factually accurate) can be solved through similar actions. If the government deems something pertinent to a decision, then the test is required by the protocols. If not, then it's inadmissible in court as grounds for a finding. Sue the government for not requiring the 'obvious test that would have saved the patient's life' rather that suing the doctor because somebody not involved in making the decision at the time it was made can go back and decide what the doctor 'should' have tried. If it is that obvious that he should have tried it, then fund it and require it. If it's not, then don't allow juries to decide that it is. Simple solution.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 11:59 AM by Hambone10.)
03-20-2014 11:47 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(03-20-2014 11:47 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  With all due respect, bud...

Those are precisely what need to be done... other than the malpractice reform which is simply something that resonates with certain constituents. Any argument that it isn't is partisan and not practical... and certainly not based in facts. Unfortunately, the LIE that we are making healthcare more available and covering everything for everyone for less money (this is what many people believe) is easier to sell and tell than the truth of how the 'business' of healthcare and insurance actually works.

Healthcare as it is practiced today is really pretty simple. The problem is that the government is trying to turn it into a commodity... like auto repair... to control costs. It treats all patients the same, all ailments and all doctors the same... when we all know that the primary contributor to excellent as opposed to barely passable healthcare is the individualized treatment and focus on quality.

Insurers have demonstrated a far better ability to control costs than the government. It's not even really close. Health Insurance policies (like auto insurance is) can be regulated to REQUIRE coverage for a specific list of ailments/treatments... and then offer individualized opportunities from there. It's math and choices, not rocket science... and CERTAINLY not politics. This is how Europe uses ICD-10 and they have for 15+ years now. We're still on ICD-9 because we (the government) use it to calculate reimbursement. Nobody else does it this way.

Under Obamacare, Taxpayers take the risk and all 'reward' gets expensed by the government (when has a government program EVER come in under budget? If they are under budget, they 'make up' things to buy because they don't want their budget cut the next year). Under alternatives, insurers take the risk and the reward... but excessive rewards are limited by competition. The typical reward for an insurer is a relatively low profit margin. Sure, the numbers are huge... but the percentages are very small.

In all seriousness... I don't think any of you can name one 'good' thing that Obamacare does that couldn't be done more efficiently through simple, easily enforced and appropriate regulation.

I've never said that Obamacare was a perfect system. My stance has always been and will alway be that Obamacare was an attempt ( one party) to do something about our healthcare system.

I'm open to a better system provided by anyone. I was not however willing to settle for business as usual.

Personally, I think providing health care for people with preexisting conditions and increasing the age for dependents to 26 are good things.

That's two.
03-20-2014 11:57 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
If Republicans came up with a way to regulate the no caps and no pre existing conditions that would be a winner politically. How can they do that Hambone. I think that would be a win win for both sides. The report that came out earlier that 1/3rd of the uninsured still will be uninsured was a killer. All of this headache and 1/3rd of the problem is still a problem? D's can take credit for the new regulations the GOP can take credit for the common sense reforms.
03-20-2014 11:58 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
CAPS on insurance? That's three.
03-20-2014 11:58 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Healthcare is best done from the ground up, IMO. Even Canada didn't implement a heavy-handed federal approach.

If I'm in the NC government, I'm doing my best to implement free basic care (I know, I know there's no such thing as free) with insurance covering heavier things. I'd also be pushing my US Senators and Representatives to push for allowing insurance across state lines. Gotta do something about prescription costs also, even though I don't know what that is.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 12:17 PM by nomad2u2001.)
03-20-2014 12:07 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
So that plan the Democrats read before voting?
03-20-2014 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-20-2014 11:57 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  My stance has always been and will alway be that Obamacare was an attempt ( one party) to do something about our healthcare system.

Oh, it was an attempt to do SOMETHING about our health care system, for sure.

But here's where we probably disagree. I don't think it was an attempt to do something to improve our health care system. I think it was an attempt to find a way to use health care to increase the government's power to f*** people over.

If it had been a legitimate attempt to improve our health care system, it wouls have had a vastly different outcome.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 12:56 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-20-2014 12:51 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I don't believe it's the federal government's responsibility to even have a health care plan. If states want to have various plans for their specific state then I can run w/ it. The issue at hand is that a "one size fit all" option does far more harm to the system itself than 50 competing systems. In fact, all social programs should be sent to the states and let them figure it out.
03-20-2014 12:56 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(03-20-2014 12:56 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I don't believe it's the federal government's responsibility to even have a health care plan. If states want to have various plans for their specific state then I can run w/ it. The issue at hand is that a "one size fit all" option does far more harm to the system itself than 50 competing systems. In fact, all social programs should be sent to the states and let them figure it out.

Are you claiming the US Government is trying to micromanage our healthcare?
03-20-2014 12:57 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(03-20-2014 11:57 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I've never said that Obamacare was a perfect system. My stance has always been and will alway be that Obamacare was an attempt ( one party) to do something about our healthcare system.

Why would a perfectly healthy 20 something need to be forced into a health insurance system that includes things he'll never use? For him it's not's about healthcare.

Oops, I forgot, despite all of Obama's claims, Obamacare is a tax.
03-20-2014 01:08 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(03-20-2014 11:58 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  If Republicans came up with a way to regulate the no caps and no pre existing conditions that would be a winner politically. How can they do that Hambone. I think that would be a win win for both sides. The report that came out earlier that 1/3rd of the uninsured still will be uninsured was a killer. All of this headache and 1/3rd of the problem is still a problem? D's can take credit for the new regulations the GOP can take credit for the common sense reforms.

The answer is so obvious that I don't know why you guys don't see it. The only thing that used to say that you couldn't keep your kids on your policy until they were 26 was a government rule that made children over 18 but not full-time college students no longer 'dependents'. All you have to do is write a rule that says they can keep them on until 26. This is pretty easy to regulate and enforce... How old are you? 25? Okay. 27? No. By the way... do the math... There is no particular benefit in math for keeping a child on your policy to 26 vs them having their own policy. The advantage is having 2+ kids on your GROUP 'family' policy as opposed to an individual policy or a single child. If you run 2 parents + 1 24yr old, and then run 2 parents and a separate policy for the 24yr old, the costs are the same.

As far as caps and PECs, again, just as they do in car insurance... establish minimum requirements for coverage. If you can't limit policies, then every existing policy goes up by a few bucks and is now unlimited. If you can't exclude for PECs, then the math for insurers changes and everyone pays more for insurance so that a few don't have to. A far better solution is for the government (through Medicaid) to make up this difference for those in the high risk pool, but it's really just a difference in whether we are being lied to or told the truth. The problem with the OLD way was merely that we under-funded the high risk pool... and not a problem with having a high risk pool in the first place. Mathematically, What's the difference between a high risk pool that subsidizes the difference in cost of insurance for high risk patients and having them be included in the premium calculation up front... which does exactly the same thing?

Obamacare PRETENDS to do these things, but it does so in such a power-grab, all-encompassing way that steals from the middle class because they don't want to be honest about what all these things cost.

These are generic numbers, but they aren't far off. If a typical health insurance plan for a family cost $1,000/mo 12,000 per year... and you uncap it, the cost probably goes up to $12,200/yr. The number of people who exceed these policy limits is actually quite small... so it doesn't take much money to 'buy off' these caps.

Minimum healthcare standards were SUPPOSED to be what Medicare and Medicaid taxes paid for, weren't they? OF COURSE they were... But nobody wanted to be honest and increase medicare taxes... in fact, Obamacare takes hundreds of millions AWAY from Medicare... and nobody wanted to be honest and just pay for those costs out of income taxes either... So instead we are doing it through premium increases on virtually everyone who makes more than about 75k/yr. Obviously that number has exceptions based on people's choices, but it's a decent ballpark. Plenty of people who make less than 75k already had high level insurance and many who made more did not... but that's pretty close. This is nothing more than a veiled income tax hike on the middle class.

I've got a hint for you... There are really only about 3 'general' choices in policies for everyone... and that is made clear by the gold silver and bronze plans that the government sponsors.... and that is basic coverage, medium coverage and full coverage. There really isn't much difference in what is covered... the differences are primarily in how the costs are shared. The basic coverage is a cheap policy, but you pay much more out of pocket. The middle is in the middle, and the top you pay a bigger premium but very little out of pocket. There is no mathematical difference (in aggregate) between something being 'not covered' and being covered, but subject to a deductible AND a premium. It is merely a question of how much financial 'opportunity' and personal choice you want in your healthcare.,.. and Obamacare has virtually eliminated those. They have taken away your incentive to make healthy choices so that you will consume less healthcare and thus save money so that they can deliver more healthcare to others... SOME of whom consume more healthcare because of their unhealthy choices, who are now less dis-incentevized (if that is a word) from doing so.

The reason I say 'the middle class' is because there is virtually no difference in the insurance policy that Warren Buffet and I could buy. We talk about 'luxury' policies and this tax on them, but because insurance is only math and not magic... all insurers have to do is design their policies to fit that criteria and then they create their own 'risk pool' with their concierge doctors to GET that extra care they were willing to pay for without the tax.

In other words, the most important things that you find Obamacare to accomplish are among the easiest to accomplish (other than the lies told to convince us that it isn't a tax)

Here are the things that healthcare reform NEEDS to do.

1) Increase the number of doctors. What good is insurance if you can't get an appointment? Obamacare doesn't do this
2) Decrease waste. Obamacare doesn't do this. If you say it does that is because of politics... Paying a doctor less to do a service isn't decreasing waste. I have a whole department of people who were hired specifically to deal with Obamacare. All of those costs are new and unrelated to delivering healthcare. Let's not even talk about all of the expenses to 'sell' and 'regulate' Obamacare.

Seriously... You realize that every disease and disorder has a clinical code number associated with it and reimbursement and coverage is PURELY based on these codes. How big would the regulating body have to be to allow policies to be sold across state lines and to assure that if someone is diagnosed with 348.30 Encephalopathy and 348.30 is on the list covered by the policy to be reimbursed at $85 * the government's regional adjustment factor that this actually happens? The VAST majority of these stories about people being denied coverage for things are either outright lies or complete stretches of the truth. There are something like 145,000 diagnosis codes in ICD-10 with iirc, 3 'acuity' and co-morbidity levels for each one... Most people don't have any idea what their policies cover and don't cover... but I can guarantee you that the insurers COULD provide you with a list of the (making up a number) 110,000 codes and acuity levels that ARE covered and the 35,000 that aren't. It's a huge number of diagnoses and unfortunately many of them are ALMOST the same, but sometimes one is covered and one is not... and THIS is where most of the trouble comes in...

and Obamacare does nothing to address this either. Instead, it actually makes it worse by tying the reimbursement to the doctors to 'patient satisfaction' more than outcomes. It doesn't matter if a doctor cures that pain in your leg... so long as you are happy that he gets you hooked on Oxycontin. If he tells you to go on a diet instead and this makes you unhappy, his reimbursement goes down.

Nice plan.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 01:18 PM by Hambone10.)
03-20-2014 01:09 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(03-20-2014 12:56 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I don't believe it's the federal government's responsibility to even have a health care plan. If states want to have various plans for their specific state then I can run w/ it. The issue at hand is that a "one size fit all" option does far more harm to the system itself than 50 competing systems. In fact, all social programs should be sent to the states and let them figure it out.

While I can agree to your point, there would have to be some portability of plans between states. The systems can't just be competitors.
03-20-2014 01:20 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

States shouldn't have plans at all.

Look, if the state wants to open a clinic and provide certain services for free or reduced/subsidized cost... fine... Those are the sorts of things that make one state more attractive than another... but you can't expect to use those services if you leave the state... and you can't take those services with you.

Certainly your insurance policy should go with you.
03-20-2014 01:24 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
The whole issue of pre-existing conditions is the basis for the individual mandate as it is an attempt to avoid the inherent moral hazard pf pre-existing coverage.

Simply mandating the coverage of pre-existing conditions brings moral hazard to the forefront of the debate. If someone can choose not to buy insurance UNTIL THEY ARE ILL, the concept of community insurance devolves into an unworkable model. Insurance requires some people to pay for others with the promise that when that individual needs to be covered, they will have it available.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 01:44 PM by QuestionSocratic.)
03-20-2014 01:44 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(03-20-2014 12:51 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-20-2014 11:57 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  My stance has always been and will alway be that Obamacare was an attempt ( one party) to do something about our healthcare system.

Oh, it was an attempt to do SOMETHING about our health care system, for sure.

But here's where we probably disagree. I don't think it was an attempt to do something to improve our health care system. I think it was an attempt to find a way to use health care to increase the government's power to f*** people over.

If it had been a legitimate attempt to improve our health care system, it wouls have had a vastly different outcome.

You are correct. I disagree that the government would go through such great lengths to f*** us. If that was their plan, they would have just done it.

Whether or not you think Obamacare is good is debateable. I just think that the United States should have the best health care system on the planet and they don't. Someone tried to do something about that and I commend them for it.
03-20-2014 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.