Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hypothetical: What if Liberty is invited?
Bookmark and Share
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Hypothetical: What if Liberty is invited?
Let's just say that Liberty receives it's long coveted invite this spring and brings Olympic sports to the belt in the fall and football in 2015.

What immediate impact do you think it will make? Good or Bad

Because of the invite where do you see your school and the conference 5 or 10 years from now?
03-13-2014 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Hypothetical: What if Liberty is invited?
(03-13-2014 07:22 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Let's just say that Liberty receives it's long coveted invite this spring and brings Olympic sports to the belt in the fall and football in 2015.

Because of the invite where do you see your school and the conference 5 or 10 years from now?

In another conference
03-13-2014 07:38 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-13-2014 07:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 07:22 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Let's just say that Liberty receives it's long coveted invite this spring and brings Olympic sports to the belt in the fall and football in 2015.

In another conference

But wouldn't that require another conference to invite you. Maybe that would happen for 1 or 2 schools but I doubt all 11 of us can get that lucky.
03-13-2014 07:44 PM
USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I'll say, "Hello, Liberty."
03-13-2014 07:44 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-13-2014 07:44 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 07:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

In another conference

But wouldn't that require another conference to invite you. Maybe that would happen for 1 or 2 schools but I doubt all 11 of us can get that lucky.

You asked where I saw my school. And I just don't see Liberty getting in unless ASU and ULL get invites elsewhere.
03-13-2014 07:45 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Signs will appear in the heavens, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, the stars will fall from heaven, the sea and the waves will roar and the powers of heaven will be shaken.

But seriously, it would have little impact on App.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 08:02 PM by Saint3333.)
03-13-2014 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
03-13-2014 08:04 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

If that happened then it wouldn't surprise me if USA, ASU, and Louisiana worked together and put out feelers to a few teams in C-USA and the Sun Belt about creating a new league altogether. Teams like WKU, MTSU, LA Tech, USM, Texas State, Georgia State, and UAB among others would get a call.

Not saying this would happen, and I have no inside information, but a new league forming would not surprise me in the least. The lack of NCAA basketball units would hurt, so with conference buyouts and lack of income I'm not sure how this would happen without guaranteed TV dollars to cushion the blow.
03-13-2014 08:22 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I think the barriers to creating a new conference are so high that I don't think it is plausible scenario. I think it would be almost as bad as going independent.
03-13-2014 08:26 PM
USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

LOL.....the prospect of being in a conference with Liberty will not cause upheaval among university administrators.
03-13-2014 08:27 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(03-13-2014 08:22 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  If that happened then it wouldn't surprise me if USA, ASU, and Louisiana worked together and put out feelers to a few teams in C-USA and the Sun Belt about creating a new league altogether. Teams like WKU, MTSU, LA Tech, USM, Texas State, Georgia State, and UAB among others would get a call.

Not saying this would happen, and I have no inside information, but a new league forming would not surprise me in the least. The lack of NCAA basketball units would hurt, so with conference buyouts and lack of income I'm not sure how this would happen without guaranteed TV dollars to cushion the blow.

I don't see anything like that happening for the sheer fact that if Liberty got the invite, that would mean 9 teams voted yes.

I see Benson being shown the door before Liberty getting an invite.
03-13-2014 08:28 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
For the Sun Belt, I see LU's admission causing significant, and persistent, division in the Sun Belt and that can't be good for a conference as unstable as ours. It would increase the fire under some people to get their teams out of the Belt. Meanwhile, LU's controversial nature would repel other teams from joining us. I seriously question the decision making process of an institution that hires a coach with an FBS coaching record of 25-49 and 1 winning season in 6 years to effectively manage FBS competition (and has a grand total of 2 wins in the last 2 years against FCS programs with winning records). The SBC will face immediate, and persistent, derision from our FBS peers.

Football wise, USA would get shipped off to a sucky SBC East, where we would (for the near term) have 4 games where we should be a prohibitive favorite that would mean nothing to our fans and would crater our RPI. We'd play Troy (and later Ga Southern) every year for the right to play in the CCG and qualify for a lower tier bowl every year. Hopefully that USA would be out of such a Sun Belt as quickly as possible. Our attendance would not be helped by the supposed strong draw of the online graduates of the new school.

But the sun would still come up, I suppose.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 08:50 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-13-2014 08:29 PM
USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

(03-13-2014 08:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Football wise, USA would get shipped off to a sucky SBC East, where we would have 4 games where we should be a prohibitive favorite that would mean nothing to our fans and would crater our RPI.

Wut?
03-13-2014 08:33 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
(03-13-2014 08:22 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  If that happened then it wouldn't surprise me if USA, ASU, and Louisiana worked together and put out feelers to a few teams in C-USA and the Sun Belt about creating a new league altogether. Teams like WKU, MTSU, LA Tech, USM, Texas State, Georgia State, and UAB among others would get a call.

Welcome to the WAC?
The answer to a new conference that you speak of could be a new wac that is an existing fbs conference that may eleviate some of the pain. However this may kill the SBC.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 08:51 PM by cleburneslim.)
03-13-2014 08:50 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2014 08:33 PM)USACoN2012 Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 08:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Football wise, USA would get shipped off to a sucky SBC East, where we would have 4 games where we should be a prohibitive favorite that would mean nothing to our fans and would crater our RPI.

Wut?

Subtract Texas State, ULL, ULM and Arkansas State from our football schedule. Replace them with FOUR FCS moveups. Watch our RPI drag, even when we win. And yes, RPI matters when other conferences look at us or when bowls look at us too.

And what wonders that will do for our attendance? What would you rather see? A game against ULL or Ark State or a game against a team coming in at 1-7 or 2-6?

Expansion for USA is a bad deal. Expansion with a team that isn't making the correct staffing choices would be even more of a bad deal for us.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 08:56 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-13-2014 08:55 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

mate, there is no rpi in football
03-13-2014 08:56 PM
Advertisement

USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

(03-13-2014 08:55 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 08:33 PM)USACoN2012 Wrote:  

Wut?

Subtract Texas State, ULL, ULM and Arkansas State from our football schedule. Replace them with FOUR FCS moveups. Watch our RPI drag, even when we win. And yes, RPI matters when other conferences look at us or when bowls look at us too.

And what wonders that will do for our attendance? What would you rather see? A game against ULL or Ark State or a game against a team coming in at 1-7 or 2-6?

Expansion for USA is a bad deal. Expansion with a team that isn't making the correct staffing choices would be even more of a bad deal for us.

See bolded text.
03-13-2014 08:58 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2014 08:56 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  mate, there is no rpi in football

Strength of schedule matters in football too. It matters in case we'd like to be ranked and qualify for a better bowl. They might not call them the RPI's but the same concept is at play here.
03-13-2014 08:59 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
When did USA become a football powerhouse?
03-13-2014 08:59 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(03-13-2014 08:59 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 08:56 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  mate, there is no rpi in football

Strength of schedule matters in football too. It matters in case we'd like to be ranked and qualify for a better bowl. They might not call them the RPI's but the same concept is at play here.

I get your point but they are not the same thing. If you want to argue a point, you need to look like you know what you're talking about 04-cheers
03-13-2014 09:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.