Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

List of best football coaching jobs in the country
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
List of best football coaching jobs in the country
It's from AL.com, so it doesn't list all the jobs in the article.

Just thought it would be interesting conversation, I like the South is up-trending while UAb is headed in the other direction.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/...rt_m-rpt-2

The complete list:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football...-jobs-2014
03-13-2014 11:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: List of best football coaching jobs in the country
I find it strange they rate ASU down because we cant keep a coach. Exactly how many coaches see the Sun Belt as their dream job?
03-13-2014 11:17 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Kind of pointless to compare the bottom 40 with the top 40. Just like with recruiting, nobody is devoting the necessary time to assess the bottom third correctly. Just isn't going to happen. I would put UAB trending up with a very good coaching hire and with facilities being improved. But I doubt anyone who has SEC glasses on gets this. We lost our WR coach to Bama. He was replaced by the guy who was coaching Megatron last year. So is GSU a bottom 10 job? By who's criteria?
03-13-2014 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(03-13-2014 11:17 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I find it strange they rate ASU down because we cant keep a coach. Exactly how many coaches see the Sun Belt as their dream job?

You'd think the propensity of AState coaches to come visit the "Good Luck Chuck" of college football and gain a million or more dollar contract would make it a GREAT coaching job.
03-13-2014 11:20 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Overall this article is useless unless you were to split it into the best P5 and best G5 jobs cause that's the way the world works.
03-13-2014 11:21 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(03-13-2014 11:18 AM)panama Wrote:  Kind of pointless to compare the bottom 40 with the top 40. Just like with recruiting, nobody is devoting the necessary time to assess the bottom third correctly. Just isn't going to happen. I would put UAB trending up with a very good coaching hire and with facilities being improved. But I doubt anyone who has SEC glasses on gets this. We lost our WR coach to Bama. He was replaced by the guy who was coaching Megatron last year. So is GSU a bottom 10 job? By who's criteria?

^^^This
03-13-2014 11:22 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-13-2014 11:21 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Overall this article is useless unless you were to split it into the best P5 and best G5 jobs cause that's the way the world works.

I agree. Holding any G5 job to the standards of an SEC level job is ridiculous. Its very rare for a G5 school to hold onto a coach for a long time...and if they are, it likely means the coach is consistently mediocre.
03-13-2014 11:23 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
Just figured I'd put these in one spot together, and yeah they pretty much mean nothing, and by pretty much I mean definitely.

97. UL-L
Ragin’ Cajuns should be able to consistently compete for Sun Belt titles. UL-Lafayette led the Sun Belt with an average attendance of 25,976 per game.

104. stAte
Red Wolves have been able to hire good coaches. Retaining them is next step.

105. Troy
Should be one of the top jobs in the Sun Belt on an annual basis.

114. ULM
2012 was the school’s first with a winning record since joining FBS ranks.

116. Georgia Southern
Good tradition and a solid location in a state with plenty of talent. Should be one of the top programs in the Sun Belt.

117. Texas State
t’s got the potential to be one of the best jobs in the Sun Belt.

118. South Alabama
Jaguars will have to start stealing some recruits from in-state Sun Belt rival Troy.

121. Appalachian State
Remote location, but picturesque campus. Won three consecutive national championships from 2005-07.

122. Georgia State
Panthers will move up the food chain if they can recruit well locally.

126. New Mexico State
At least Las Cruces is a nice place to live. Moving to the Sun Belt should help this program in terms of overall stability.

127. Idaho
Moving to the Sun Belt is a positive, but this program has just one winning season in the last 14 years.
03-13-2014 11:32 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-13-2014 11:32 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Just figured I'd put these in one spot together, and yeah they pretty much mean nothing, and by pretty much I mean definitely.

97. UL-L
Ragin’ Cajuns should be able to consistently compete for Sun Belt titles. UL-Lafayette led the Sun Belt with an average attendance of 25,976 per game.

104. stAte

105. Troy

114. ULM

116. Georgia Southern
Good tradition and a solid location in a state with plenty of talent. Should be one of the top programs in the Sun Belt.

117. Texas State

118. South Alabama
Jaguars will have to start stealing some recruits from in-state Sun Belt rival Troy.

121. Appalachian State
Remote location, but picturesque campus. Won three consecutive national championships from 2005-07.

122. Georgia State

126. New Mexico State
At least Las Cruces is a nice place to live. Moving to the Sun Belt should help this program in terms of overall stability.

127. Idaho
Moving to the Sun Belt is a positive, but this program has just one winning season in the last 14 years.

This list was probably based on who he thought would finish in what order in the SBC, rather than what's a good job or not.
03-13-2014 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SpiritCymbal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga. Southern
(03-13-2014 11:45 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 11:32 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Just figured I'd put these in one spot together, and yeah they pretty much mean nothing, and by pretty much I mean definitely.

97. UL-L

104. stAte

105. Troy

114. ULM

116. Georgia Southern

117. Texas State

118. South Alabama

121. Appalachian State

122. Georgia State

126. New Mexico State

127. Idaho

This list was probably based on who he thought would finish in what order in the SBC, rather than what's a good job or not.

BINGO! Pretty much every team in the Sun Belt should be the best job in the Sun Belt according to this article. hahahaha....
03-13-2014 11:49 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns

97. UL-L

104. stAte

105. Troy

114. ULM

116. Georgia Southern

117. Texas State

118. South Alabama

121. Appalachian State

122. Georgia State

126. New Mexico State

127. Idaho

fluff
03-13-2014 11:55 AM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(03-13-2014 11:45 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  This list was probably based on who he thought would finish in what order in the SBC, rather than what's a good job or not.

That's pretty funny. If you had to grab a quick list to predict next season, you could probably do a lot worse than the order given here.
03-13-2014 01:01 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Any recent list that has the University of Kentucky as a top 50 job in the nation loses every single ounce of credibility they may have had before they started. That is ridiculous...even over teams like Purdue, Kansas St, etc. The SEC can get you so far, but that is just dumb.
03-13-2014 04:01 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-13-2014 04:01 PM)Rojogrande Wrote:  Any recent list that has the University of Kentucky as a top 50 job in the nation loses every single ounce of credibility they may have had before they started. That is ridiculous...even over teams like Purdue, Kansas St, etc. The SEC can get you so far, but that is just dumb.

It may just be me and my odd way of thinking, but I would think the "best" jobs are the ones that pay lots and lots of money and you can stay there forever or until you get an itch to coach in the NFL.

The next best jobs would merely pay lots of money and you would have the option of staying forever OR taking one of the college jobs that pays lots and lots of money.

That would be followed by the jobs that don't that phenomenally (by coaching standards not average human standards) but provide a good pathway to jobs in the first two categories.

Next would be those where the schools pay lots and lots but you probably will collect the last couple years of your contract working as a TV analyst or as an assistant for one of your famous friends or as a head coach at some place that will pay far less when the money runs out.

The next level would be places that merely pay lots of money and you likely collect the last couple years salary as an assistant for a famous friend or while playing golf.

Finally there would be the jobs that don't pay much, and would would lead to at best a position gig someplace better as you collect the last year of salary or your contract runs out, or you go to high school if you want to keep coaching or you end up in some non-sports related field.
03-13-2014 04:09 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(03-13-2014 11:17 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I find it strange they rate ASU down because we cant keep a coach. Exactly how many coaches see the Sun Belt as their dream job?

Ummm... Fran does!

He lives 30 minutes away, gets to most likely set his son up with a HC gig in FBS when he retires, and his bestest buddy is his boss.
03-13-2014 04:31 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Yet at least two sitting FBS coaches threw their name in the hat when Harsin left.

AState is like the interstate for most coaches. It's not where they want to stay but it is the way to get where they want to go.
03-13-2014 04:39 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Pretty cool little ole Ga Southern beat #2 on the list.
03-13-2014 08:06 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
From and outsider, ASU would be my top choice of the SB. Fair salary and the ability to move up to a top level conference. The administration appears to sensible in working with other schools. Plus you might get in a few duck hunting trips.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 07:26 AM by Gemofthehills.)
03-14-2014 07:25 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-14-2014 07:25 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  From and outsider, ASU would be my top choice of the SB. Fair salary and the ability to move up to a top level conference. The administration appears to sensible in working with other schools. Plus you might get in a few duck hunting trips.

One of the kids we signed out of Alabama this year, wanted to skip out of his official visit to go duck hunting arguing to his mother he already KNEW he wanted to sign with AState so he shouldn't waste time visiting when he could go hunting near campus instead. Mom didn't buy that.
03-14-2014 08:56 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(03-14-2014 08:56 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 07:25 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  From and outsider, ASU would be my top choice of the SB. Fair salary and the ability to move up to a top level conference. The administration appears to sensible in working with other schools. Plus you might get in a few duck hunting trips.

One of the kids we signed out of Alabama this year, wanted to skip out of his official visit to go duck hunting arguing to his mother he already KNEW he wanted to sign with AState so he shouldn't waste time visiting when he could go hunting near campus instead. Mom didn't buy that.

Smart kid, bad momma
03-14-2014 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.