Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lavin still coachin' them up
Bookmark and Share
EffinBJ Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincinnati
Lavin still coachin' them up
Thought this was an interesting box score, just because of the high interest UC had in these kids.

----------------------Minutes--Points---Rebounds--Blocks--Assists

Chris Obekpa---------24----------1---------2--------2------1

God'sgift Achiuwa------1----------0---------0--------0------0

Sir'Dominic Pointer---- 22----------4---------3--------0------0

Gods'Gift was a juco, so as a senior he's riding the pine, regressed from 9ppg to 2. Obekpa's still under 4 points per game.

Way to go Steve, really killing that reputation you have.

IIRC, wasn't Nyarsuk the consolation prize for Obekpa? I'd have loved to see Chris here to step in and do justin things next year.

02-23-2014 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Lavin still coachin' them up
He lost his best assistant, the X and O guy last year. Lavin is not an X and O genius.

02-23-2014 04:28 PM
Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
We took Dave after we lost out on Obekpa. And we took Strickland after we lost out on Perry to USF. I wish both of those went the other way.

02-23-2014 04:34 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(02-23-2014 04:34 PM)Overrated Wrote:  We took Dave after we lost out on Obekpa. And we took Strickland after we lost out on Perry to USF. I wish both of those went the other way.

Isn't early to say anything about Strickland? Perry seems like a good player, but he's no world beater.

02-23-2014 06:04 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(02-23-2014 06:04 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 04:34 PM)Overrated Wrote:  We took Dave after we lost out on Obekpa. And we took Strickland after we lost out on Perry to USF. I wish both of those went the other way.

Isn't early to say anything about Strickland? Perry seems like a good player, but he's no world beater.

Perry is having a pretty good year for a freshman but can't seem to stay out of foul trouble from what I can tell. But I'm with you as far as let's see what Strickland can do before making any judgments.

02-23-2014 06:08 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I mentioned in another thread that I really don't know who'd I'd rather see miss the tourney, X or St. Johns. It really is mind blowing that we could lose any recruits to them.

02-23-2014 10:08 PM
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Obekpa is only a Sophomore and is top 10 in the country in blocks per game. I'd absolutely love to have him wearing a UC uniform. UC will badly miss having a guy like JJ in the middle next year that can block and alter shots. And if my memory is correct, he played a big role in UC's loss to them last year.

02-24-2014 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-23-2014 10:08 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  I mentioned in another thread that I really don't know who'd I'd rather see miss the tourney, X or St. Johns. It really is mind blowing that we could lose any recruits to them.

An 18 year old gets to live in NYC on a school's dime for 4-5 years? Yeah...no idea how anyone thinks that's a good choice...

02-24-2014 12:34 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Perry looked incredibly overweight the first time we played.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

02-24-2014 02:59 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-24-2014 12:34 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 10:08 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  I mentioned in another thread that I really don't know who'd I'd rather see miss the tourney, X or St. Johns. It really is mind blowing that we could lose any recruits to them.

An 18 year old gets to live in NYC on a school's dime for 4-5 years? Yeah...no idea how anyone thinks that's a good choice...

If you are basing your decision on location alone - yes, NYC will win out. If you are looking to compete for conf CH's, develop as a player, go to the NCAA's, and possibly make the NBA - one might look at UC.

02-24-2014 03:00 PM
George Kaplan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Aye, but for certain recruits and/or their handlers, it's all about the Benjamins.

02-24-2014 05:21 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-24-2014 03:00 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  

If you are basing your decision on location alone - yes, NYC will win out. If you are looking to compete for conf CH's, develop as a player, go to the NCAA's, and possibly make the NBA - one might look at UC.

If we're honest with ourselves, we haven't been able to offer the conference championship contender and NBA potential pitch to anyone over the last half decade (with the exception of our flash in the pan in 2011). To a lesser extent, we've really had a problem developing talent too, but that's all a matter of perspective.

02-24-2014 05:25 PM
EffinBJ Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincinnati
(02-24-2014 05:25 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  we've really had a problem developing talent too, but that's all a matter of perspective.

I can't agree with that - off the top of my head, cash, bishop, SK, JJ, jaquan, and dixon all improved big time, in their last two years particularly.

I think it's a function of the type of player Mick has had to recruit. The now famous story is how he was there to scout Brandon Knight when he noticed JJ. It doesn't take much coaching for a Knight, or Wiggins, or even a Lance to show up and start making an impact. When it's a guy that's as under the radar as Dixon or JJ or SK, they need time to develop, particularly when it's defense that governs how much game time they earn, and you run complex defense sets.

I don't know for sure that all those players wouldn't have developed as well, or even better someplace else, but they did develop. And IMO I'd rather have a program like that, with the special talents sprinkled in very lightly. The Marquettes, Villanovas, and Pitts of the world do very nicely by recruiting mid tier guys and developing them, and they're competitive year in and year out. Meanwhile, unless you're Kansas, UK, or Duke, reloading with one and dones is not a guarantee. UNC, UCLA, and others routinely go through down periods when those guys don't work out.

02-24-2014 06:10 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-24-2014 05:25 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

If we're honest with ourselves, we haven't been able to offer the conference championship contender and NBA potential pitch to anyone over the last half decade (with the exception of our flash in the pan in 2011). To a lesser extent, we've really had a problem developing talent too, but that's all a matter of perspective.

We are contending this year and probably will into the future. Iwould not short change our tourny run in 2011. St Johns last conf CH was BE Tourny in 2000/Reg Season 1992. Their last NCAA appearance was in 2011. Their last FF was in 1985. 1999 was the last time they made a deep run in the tourny. I'm not sure where they sit on sending players to the assoc recently. Under Cronin, we have sent only Lance thus far.

02-24-2014 06:25 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

The way SK has been coached up will be HUGE for futute recruits.

02-24-2014 10:50 PM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators

A half decade is a pretty short measure of time, especially to a program that has been rebuilding over that half decade.

Did you think JJ might be even in conversation as an NBA potential during his first three years?

Who would have said 3 star recruit Sean Kilpatrick would be in the hunt for first or second team All-American?

Just my .02 but we are top fifteen in the country with a roster that includes exactly ZERO 5 star players and really only one consensus 4 star (Lawrence).

Our starting lineup includes zero 4 or 5 star recruits. That is pretty incredible. You might say that is as much about developing "team" as about developing talent. I would say it is an indication of both.

02-25-2014 08:05 AM
Advertisement

beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-25-2014 08:05 AM)Eastside_J Wrote:  

A half decade is a pretty short measure of time, especially to a program that has been rebuilding over that half decade.

Did you think JJ might be even in conversation as an NBA potential during his first three years?

Who would have said 3 star recruit Sean Kilpatrick would be in the hunt for first or second team All-American?

Just my .02 but we are top fifteen in the country with a roster that includes exactly ZERO 5 star players and really only one consensus 4 star (Lawrence).

Our starting lineup includes zero 4 or 5 star recruits. That is pretty incredible. You might say that is as much about developing "team" as about developing talent. I would say it is an indication of both.

this

02-25-2014 08:44 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

Justin Jackson was a four star

02-25-2014 11:23 AM
colsbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats
(02-25-2014 11:23 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Justin Jackson was a four star

By what service? Both Rivals and Scout had him as a 3-star and not ranked in the top 150.

02-25-2014 11:30 AM
coachpipe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(02-25-2014 11:30 AM)colsbearcat Wrote:  
(02-25-2014 11:23 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Justin Jackson was a four star

By what service? Both Rivals and Scout had him as a 3-star and not ranked in the top 150.

ESPN had him as a 4. 247 sports had him as a 3 also I believe

02-25-2014 11:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.