Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Really Stupid NCAA Rule alert
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
NCAA rules committee has proposed that an offense be prohibited from snapping the ball in the first 10 seconds of a play clock to help "player safety"

Naturally, every no huddle coach in the country is throwing a hissy fit right now. Rule was suggested by the University of Arkansas...naturally. ULM is apparently supporting the rule. Someone shut Todd Berry up.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 09:37 PM by chiefsfan.)
02-12-2014 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: Really Stupid NCAA Rule alert
(02-12-2014 09:34 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  NCAA rules committee has proposed that an offense be prohibited from snapping the ball in the first 10 seconds of a play clock to help "player safety"

Naturally, every no huddle coach in the country is throwing a hissy fit right now. Rule was suggested by the University of Arkansas...naturally. ULM is apparently supporting the rule. Someone shut Todd Berry up.

I'm sure Saban had something to do with this, too.
02-12-2014 09:44 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Pretty sure Fran just messed his drawers in happiness.
02-12-2014 09:46 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(02-12-2014 09:44 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 09:34 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  NCAA rules committee has proposed that an offense be prohibited from snapping the ball in the first 10 seconds of a play clock to help "player safety"

I'm sure Saban had something to do with this, too.

Saban has his greasy paws over everything. He cant stop something, so he creates a rule to stop it.

Several coaches are in the process of throwing a fit right now. A couple have called the idea "a joke"
02-12-2014 09:49 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

Is there any evidence there is a pattern of player injury directly related to the HUNH? If not, this is just a power pull and a shame to the game.
02-12-2014 09:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(02-12-2014 09:52 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  Is there any evidence there is a pattern of player injury directly related to the HUNH? If not, this is just a power pull and a shame to the game.

There is no direct correlation. Injuries are increasing in the college and pro game...but somehow I doubt that is because of the No Huddle offense.

I did like that the penalty for violating the 10 second rule would be "Delay of Game"

Makes sense to me.
02-12-2014 09:55 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
The Razorbacks have issues recruiting. It is difficult to recruit the sort of talent that LSU, Bama, A&M get to Fayetteville. So traditionally Arkansas has had to do "more with less". They have not gotten the sort of talent and physical abilities that allow them to just bull rush their way through the SEC West.

But now Bert has a theory that he CAN recruit the size and power to stand toe to toe with the rest of the SEC using "normal American football". He believes that he can build a team there that will physically shove Bama out of the way.

And because of this theory Razorback fans are supportive of Bert pushing this rule. If his theory doesn't pan out then this rule may screw Arkansas over pretty good. Because the HUNH spread is a talent equalizer and they find someday....when Bert is gone....that they wish they could do that.
02-12-2014 11:03 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

(02-12-2014 11:03 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  The Razorbacks have issues recruiting. It is difficult to recruit the sort of talent that LSU, Bama, A&M get to Fayetteville. So traditionally Arkansas has had to do "more with less". They have not gotten the sort of talent and physical abilities that allow them to just bull rush their way through the SEC West.

But now Bert has a theory that he CAN recruit the size and power to stand toe to toe with the rest of the SEC using "normal American football". He believes that he can build a team there that will physically shove Bama out of the way.

And because of this theory Razorback fans are supportive of Bert pushing this rule. If his theory doesn't pan out then this rule may screw Arkansas over pretty good. Because the HUNH spread is a talent equalizer and they find someday....when Bert is gone....that they wish they could do that.

I thought the flexbone triple option was the talent equalizer :-)
02-12-2014 11:07 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
I bet Freeze and Malzahn are going ape@$&¥%#!
02-13-2014 12:06 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2014 12:06 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  I bet Freeze and Malzahn are going ape@$&¥%#!

I'm sure they'll have some comments.
02-13-2014 12:24 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

What happens at the end of a game when teams are rushing to beat the clock? Hopefully the rule does not apply to the last 2 minutes of a half or game.
02-13-2014 08:50 AM
Advertisement

Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

Mark Richt has lost control of the NCAA clock rules.
02-13-2014 08:53 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
The proposed rule would not cover the final two minutes of the half ... still ridiculously stupid and probably will not pass
02-13-2014 09:24 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-12-2014 09:52 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  Is there any evidence there is a pattern of player injury directly related to the HUNH? If not, this is just a power pull and a shame to the game.

There is no such evidence and if there were evidence, the idea rings hollow since players are the most tired and in theory the most prone to injury in the final two minutes of a half when this rule would not be in place. In other words we only want to keep players safe when it is less likely to detract from the excitement at the end of a half.
02-13-2014 09:30 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(02-12-2014 11:03 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  The Razorbacks have issues recruiting. It is difficult to recruit the sort of talent that LSU, Bama, A&M get to Fayetteville. So traditionally Arkansas has had to do "more with less". They have not gotten the sort of talent and physical abilities that allow them to just bull rush their way through the SEC West.

If Razorback fans are so supportive of slow football why did Jeff Long announce they are going to start selling booze at the same time the slow football rule proposal emerges?
02-13-2014 09:32 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Really Stupid NCAA Rule alert
(02-13-2014 09:32 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

If Razorback fans are so supportive of slow football why did Jeff Long announce they are going to start selling booze at the same time the slow football rule proposal emerges?

They should have started selling heroin over there two years ago.
02-13-2014 09:33 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Slow football = more injuries so Saban and Bielema FAVOR players getting hurt.
http://cfbmatrix.com/speed-may-kill-but-...-you-hurt/
02-13-2014 10:36 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2014 08:50 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  What happens at the end of a game when teams are rushing to beat the clock? Hopefully the rule does not apply to the last 2 minutes of a half or game.

What if you are behind two touchdowns with 4 minutes left? You can't go as fast as possible to try and win until 2 minutes? That is stupid.
02-14-2014 01:46 PM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

(02-14-2014 01:46 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 08:50 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  What happens at the end of a game when teams are rushing to beat the clock? Hopefully the rule does not apply to the last 2 minutes of a half or game.

What if you are behind two touchdowns with 4 minutes left? You can't go as fast as possible to try and win until 2 minutes? That is stupid.

Saban doesn't like losing on the final drive, so they changed the rules for him.

04-deal04-deal

CASE CLOSED!!!
02-14-2014 04:08 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
No chance this rule passes. There are way too many schools that don't play "old man" football to let it pass. If Saban is the best then he will find a way to win against the hurry up.
02-14-2014 04:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.