Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baseball: Preseason All Cajuns team announced
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Baseball: Preseason All Cajuns team announced
Its no longer an All Conference team after looking at this list

2014 SBC Coaches Predicted Order of Finish (first place votes)
1. UL Lafayette (8) - 98 pts
2. South Alabama (1) - 82 pts
3. Troy - 77 pts
4. Texas State - 57 pts
5. UT Arlington - 48 pts
6. WKU - 45 pts
7. Arkansas State - 41 pts
7. Georgia State - 41 pts
9. UALR - 33 pts
10. UL Monroe (1) - 28 pts

2014 Preseason All-Sun Belt Baseball Team
Austin Robichaux (UL Lafayette, Junior, SP)
Matt Bell (South Alabama, Senior, SP)
Shane McCain (Troy, Senior, SP)
Ian Tompkins (WKU, Junior, RP)
Michael Strentz (UL Lafayette, RS-Junior, C)
Zach George (Arkansas State, RS-Junior, 1B)
Caden Bailey (Georgia State, Junior, 2B)
Blake Trahan (UL Lafayette, Sophomore, SS)
Tyler Girouard (UL Lafayette, Junior, 3B)
Seth Harrison (UL Lafayette, Senior, OF)

Matt Shortall (UT Arlington, Senior, OF)
Regan Flaherty (WKU, Senior, OF)
Caleb Adams (UL Lafayette, Junior, DH)
Scott Wilcox (WKU, Senior, UTIL)

2014 Preseason Player of the Year
Caleb Adams (UL Lafayette, Junior, DH)

2014 Preseason Pitcher of the Year
Austin Robichaux (UL Lafayette, Junior, SP)
02-10-2014 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM
RE: Baseball: Preseason All Cajuns team announced
Cajuns will be a disappointment if they don't make it to Omaha.
02-10-2014 03:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(02-10-2014 03:52 PM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  Cajuns will be a disappointment if they don't make it to Omaha.

Hopefully Cajuns finish 3rd in the league behind ASU and whoever, and squeeze their way into the NCAA's before running all the way to Omaha along with the other two SBC teams in the field.

In all truthfulness, they'll probably have to go through LSU to get to Omaha.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 03:57 PM by chiefsfan.)
02-10-2014 03:57 PM
Hammer 22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
ULL is loaded. 04-jawdrop Impressive.01-ncaabbs
02-10-2014 03:59 PM
sham84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-10-2014 03:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 03:52 PM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  Cajuns will be a disappointment if they don't make it to Omaha.

Hopefully Cajuns finish 3rd in the league behind ASU and whoever, and squeeze their way into the NCAA's before running all the way to Omaha along with the other two SBC teams in the field.

That is very likely and will make Omaha very difficul and although we should be very good this year a lot of stars have to align to get to Omaha. Not easy.
02-10-2014 04:20 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
Cajuns would probably have to be a top 8 seed to avoid going to BR. If they are a top 16 seed and host, they'd probably be put in the bracket with LSU. They'd probably have to get in outside the top 16 and be sent to another time zone for a regional, or win as a top 16 seed and have their bracket mate lose so they host a super regional.
02-10-2014 04:38 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(02-10-2014 04:20 PM)sham84 Wrote:  

That is very likely and will make Omaha very difficul and although we should be very good this year a lot of stars have to align to get to Omaha. Not easy.

Its very difficult...especially for a Sun Belt team. Since the NCAA likes to send teams to regionals close to their main campus, and we've got a lot of SEC schools nearby, we get shipped to those places a lot.

reality is that in order to Make Omaha, odds are nearly 100 percent that you are going to have to face at least one team in the Top 16 in the country, probably two. Stony Brook beat Miami and LSU two years ago, Kent State beat Purdue and Oregon.

Not that its impossible. FAU came within two outs of knocking off North Carolina last year in their own regional, and the 7th best team in the Southland, UCA, forced a deciding game against CWS participant Mississippi State in regionals. It just takes a focused effort, and usually a good bit of depth.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 04:40 PM by chiefsfan.)
02-10-2014 04:39 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
If we can host a regional and go to a super anywhere but Baton Rouge, I like our chances to get to Omaha. They being said hasn't been 1 pitch thrown yet. A lot needs to happen between now and then. Need to stay healthy, block out all the preseason awards, noise and predictions. 1 game at a time. We have a pretty tough schedule that if we can navigate it well on top of preseason rankings should be able to host a regional.
02-10-2014 04:52 PM
GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM

IN this projection of regionals by College Baseball Daily, they are projected to be in Baton Rouge. The Jags are projected to be in Starkville.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014...-feb-10th/
02-10-2014 05:22 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

A lot of things have to go your way to make it to Omaha beginning with staying healthy all season, no long losing streaks and getting ranked high enough to host a regional. Post season play is all about matchups, for UL that means not returning to Baton Rouge. Oh and luck plays a small part as well.
02-10-2014 05:29 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
gee, starkville again.

unfortunately, the chances of any belt team making a Super in baseball is almost entirely dependent on being able to host.

we (Sun Belt) almost always get sent to a local power and it sucks.
02-10-2014 05:30 PM
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(02-10-2014 05:22 PM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  

IN this projection of regionals by College Baseball Daily, they are projected to be in Baton Rouge. The Jags are projected to be in Starkville.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014...-feb-10th/

Jags are also projected to win the conference, but there's no Louisiana-Lafayette on that list. 02-13-banana
02-10-2014 05:40 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(02-10-2014 05:30 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  gee, starkville again.

unfortunately, the chances of any belt team making a Super in baseball is almost entirely dependent on being able to host.

It kind of depends on how the seeds fall. If south al and MSU both finish pretty high(relatively speaking) they won't shaft MSU by sending a very strong south al to them. It kinda sucks that south al will have to travel further but it may put you in a more winnable regional. If the Cajuns finish on the bubble of hosting and lsu is a top 8, I don't think they will send us there. They will protect the national seeds. On the flip side, if either of us host a regional...there is a 99% chance we both travel to #1 seed in the supers. Last time Cajuns went to Omaha we hosted a regional then beat #1 seed in South Carolina. Also, another factor is our geographical location a lot of other schools play a part in regional host sites and seeding. Texas A&M,texas,Cajuns,lsu,southern miss,ole miss,miss state,south all, Troy and alabama all should be fighting for host sites and regional spots.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 05:44 PM by Louisiana99.)
02-10-2014 05:41 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

Of course, if a team is good enough to be in the College World Series, then it shouldn't matter who they have to go through to get there.
02-10-2014 05:43 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(02-10-2014 05:41 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

It kind of depends on how the seeds fall. If south al and MSU both finish pretty high(relatively speaking) they won't shaft MSU by sending a very strong south al to them. It kinda sucks that south al will have to travel further but it may put you in a more winnable regional. If the Cajuns finish on the bubble of hosting and lsu is a top 8, I don't think they will send us there. They will protect the national seeds. On the flip side, if either of us host a regional...there is a 99% chance we both travel to #1 seed in the supers. Last time Cajuns went to Omaha we hosted a regional then beat #1 seed in South Carolina. Also, another factor is our geographical location a lot of other schools play a part in regional host sites and seeding. Texas A&M,texas,Cajuns,lsu,southern miss,ole miss,miss state,south all, Troy and alabama all should be fighting for host sites and regional spots.

You make a good point. The NCAA will not send the National Seeds a difficult region. If The Cajuns are a top 25 team, but don't host, I would not expect LSU in regionals...I would expect a trip to an A&M or a Rice if the Owls host.

Look at Troy's region last year. The NCAA handed Florida State a regional they were expected to win. The tried to do it to UNC, but FAU nearly ended that idea.
02-10-2014 05:51 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Reigning SBC PiOY Shane McCain not selected for same honor preseason, 1st-team All-SBC Tyler Vaughn left off completely … head scratcher
02-10-2014 07:12 PM
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
(02-10-2014 05:43 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

Of course, if a team is good enough to be in the College World Series, then it shouldn't matter who they have to go through to get there.

playing in Starkville or Baton Rouge is tough, no matter who you are. There is always home cooking.
02-10-2014 07:13 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(02-10-2014 07:12 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Reigning SBC PiOY Shane McCain not selected for same honor preseason, 1st-team All-SBC Tyler Vaughn left off completely … head scratcher

To be fair...Robicheaux is a darn good pitcher, and Zach George was all conference in 2012 and preseason all conference last year before getting injured.
02-10-2014 07:21 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(02-10-2014 07:21 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 07:12 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Reigning SBC PiOY Shane McCain not selected for same honor preseason, 1st-team All-SBC Tyler Vaughn left off completely … head scratcher

To be fair...Robicheaux is a darn good pitcher, and Zach George was all conference in 2012 and preseason all conference last year before getting injured.

I would take Shane McCain over him.
02-10-2014 07:27 PM
BraveCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-10-2014 07:27 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 07:21 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I would take Shane McCain over him.

I would take Robicheaux over McCain. The kid has only been groomed his entire life by one of the best pitching coaches in the country.
02-10-2014 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.