Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC Basketball rankings
Bookmark and Share
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
SBC Basketball rankings
There was a bit of a shakeup in the Sun Belt power rankings this week, including a new No. 1. Troy made the biggest jump, while South Alabama had the largest drop.

There was a big matchup that turned out to be not quite as big, and there were a few smaller matchups that turned out to be bigger than originally imagined. Who looks the best to win the conference tournament in New Orleans? Here’s how the Sun Belt stacks up after the second week of conference play:

1) Georgia State Panthers - A new No. 1 is atop the Sun Belt power rankings after the Panthers throttled WKU by 23 points. Their bench still lacks contributing minutes, but the starters have more than made up for it. The Panthers are red-hot, and are the early favorites to be the Sun Belt Champions.

2) WKU Hilltoppers - The Hilltoppers displayed dismal shooting and ball handling on Thursday night and fell to Georgia State 77-54. WKU needs more consistency from George Fant in these bigger games that it will play. There are still 15 games remaining for the Hilltoppers, and they have enough pieces to compete in March.

3) UL-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns - After falling flat in their opening game, the Ragin’ Cajuns trounced a UT Arlington team by 20 points. Shawn Long nearly had a triple-double in the game and Elfrid Payton did what Elfrid Payton does. This team is very good and should not be taken lightly by any opponent.

4) Arkansas State Red Wolves - Arkansas State lost to a Troy Trojans team that leaves a lot to be desired, but was still able to put away a South Alabama team that has played poorly. Next week they will be tested when they play a Georgia State squad that is the hottest team in the conference.

5) Troy Trojans - It was probably unfair to put Troy so low on the rankings last week, especially considering that the Trojans lost to the top two teams in the conference. This week they rebounded quite nicely by beating Arkansas State and UALR. The Trojans have momentum in their favor and could be the surprise of the Sun Belt this season.

6) UALR Trojans - The Trojans have been a pleasant surprise in the Sun Belt early on, despite their loss to Troy on Saturday. They haven’t been tested yet, but that will change when they have back-to-back contests against WKU and Georgia State next week.

7) UL-Monroe Warhawks - The Warhawks entered with a strong RPI and got the benefit of the doubt, due to a tough non-conference schedule. They beat a very good UL-Lafayette squad, but then fell flat against UT Arlington and Texas State, a game in which they managed just 36 points. Is this the team that beat a very good Ragin’ Cajuns squad? Or is it the one that is getting beat by the teams lower in the pack?

8) UT Arlington Mavericks - The Mavericks picked up their first win against UL-Monroe but then proceeded to get thrashed by UL-Lafayette a few days later. This team has shown that it can score with any player on any night, but has failed to convert that to W’s. The Mavericks have the potential to be a scary team come tournament time, but will they get everyone to contribute at the same time?

9) South Alabama Jaguars - Matthew Graves was an interesting hire for the Jaguars but has fallen short of what many expected him to do. South Alabama is the only team winless inside the conference and did not play the best competition in the second week of conference play. This has been a very underwhelming year for the Jags and they haven’t shown anything that proves they will be better.

10) Texas State Bobcats - Texas State ranks near the bottom in nearly every statistical category in the Sun Belt. They did get their first win inside the conference, but it wasn’t a pretty one.

http://www.csssports.com/college-basketb...ngs-week-2
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:12 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
01-14-2014 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: SBC Basketball rankings
(01-14-2014 09:06 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  http://www.csssports.com/college-basketb...ngs-week-2

Georgia State is off to a good start, especially with that big win over WKU at WKU. Having said that, I'm not convinced they'll finish in the top 3 when the regular season is all said and done. There's a lot of basketball left to be played.
01-14-2014 09:13 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
Yeah basketball is not our thing...
01-14-2014 09:16 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Hey our conference win was pretty, not for ULM.
01-14-2014 09:31 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-14-2014 09:31 PM)slycat Wrote:  Hey our conference win was pretty, not for ULM.

I enjoyed the hell out of it though!04-rock
01-14-2014 10:06 PM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
I can't argue with our placement. We showed promise at the start of the season, but we just don't have the players to play in Graves' system. We haven't improved like I thought we would, and it even seems we've taken a step back. It's all growing pains. I just didn't expect it to be so painful.
01-15-2014 12:00 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
UTA's summary is spot on.

Speaking of rankings, did an attendance average:

1) WKU 4,575
2) UALR 2,990
3) UL-L 2,782 (one home game listed as N/A)
4) Ark St 2,326
5) South Alabama 2,002 (one home game listed as N/A)
6) ULM 1,840
7) TXST 1,737
8) UTA 1,722 (damn you noon Thursday game)
9) GaSt 1,629
10) Troy 1,061
01-15-2014 08:51 AM
Hammer 22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
(01-14-2014 09:13 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 09:06 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  http://www.csssports.com/college-basketb...ngs-week-2

Georgia State is off to a good start, especially with that big win over WKU at WKU. Having said that, I'm not convinced they'll finish in the top 3 when the regular season is all said and done. There's a lot of basketball left to be played.

01-wingedeagle04-jawdrop03-lmfao Can you unpack that for me?
01-15-2014 10:41 AM
GSUhooligan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
Around March, when us and Appy were announced, wasn't is mostly USA fans complaining that we bring nothing to the basketball side of things?
01-15-2014 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(01-15-2014 10:46 AM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  Around March, when us and Appy were announced, wasn't is mostly USA fans complaining that we bring nothing to the basketball side of things?

They are usually pretty good.
01-15-2014 10:53 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(01-14-2014 09:31 PM)slycat Wrote:  Hey our conference win was pretty, not for ULM.

I thought so too. That game is how Kaspar's team is SUPPOSED to win: low scoring, tough game.

I say it's exactly what it should be, even if that writer doesn't like it.
01-15-2014 10:59 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(01-15-2014 10:41 AM)Hammer 22 Wrote:  

Whatever you meant, it zoomed over my headbone.
01-15-2014 11:15 AM
slappycajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL
Georgia State is clearly in the driver's seat. They have the best backcourt in the league.

I love the Cajuns backcourt, and think we have the best player in the league. But as a whole, Georgia State's backcourt is pretty lethal.
01-15-2014 11:36 AM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-15-2014 10:46 AM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  Around March, when us and Appy were announced, wasn't is mostly USA fans complaining that we bring nothing to the basketball side of things?

Several USA fans were worried about the quality of Sun Belt basketball declining further, yes. Aside from WKU, USA has the most prestigious basketball history in the Sun Belt, including App State and Georgia Southern. I use the word prestigious loosely for a lack of a better word, but ESPN ranked us as a top 80 all-time program a few years ago. Only WKU was higher (and was much higher). USA is having a bad season in our new coaches' first year. It's worse than we expected. But our history indicates we will get better. Your history still worries me. I just hope Georgia Southern devotes the resources to turn the basketball program around and not focus only on football, which is the concern a lot of fans of many teams had.

Edit: As bad as USA has been this year, we are still 46 spots better than Georgia Southern in the RPI.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 12:49 PM by SkullyMaroo.)
01-15-2014 12:40 PM
slappycajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL
I'm very intersted in the Jags Cajuns matchup. Cajuns need to win one versus either USA or Troy. I feel like USA is struggling right now. I hope we can get it Thursday night. Either way, I'm glad we only have 2 (at most) 3 games left against Rubit.
01-15-2014 12:45 PM
Hammer 22 Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2014 11:15 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

It simply means further explain your conclusion that GSU will not be in the top 3 at the end of the season.
01-15-2014 01:26 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA

I'm pretty certain that was more WKU in terms of why they were glad to be leaving.
01-15-2014 03:46 PM
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(01-15-2014 01:26 PM)Hammer 22 Wrote:  

It simply means further explain your conclusion that GSU will not be in the top 3 at the end of the season.

What's to explain? It's my opinion. As I said, there's a lot of basketball to be played and I don't think any one team's position near the top today will necessarily translate to being at the top in early March.

Is Georgia State a basketball powerhouse year in and year out?
01-15-2014 11:21 PM
Hammer 22 Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2014 11:21 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(01-15-2014 01:26 PM)Hammer 22 Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 09:13 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Georgia State is off to a good start, especially with that big win over WKU at WKU. Having said that, I'm not convinced they'll finish in the top 3 when the regular season is all said and done. There's a lot of basketball left to be played.

What's to explain? It's my opinion. As I said, there's a lot of basketball to be played and I don't think any one team's position near the top today will necessarily translate to being at the top in early March.

Is Georgia State a basketball powerhouse year in and year out?

Well then I will presume your opinion is based on just that, your opinion.

Nope, GSU has not been a powerhouse year in and year out. But, Ron Hunter has been a powerhouse wherever he's been. This is Ron Hunter's 3rd year at the school.

1st year: 20+ wins
2nd year: 15-15 (winning CAA conference record at 10-7 despite having 4 freshman and 2 transfers)
3rd year: We are already at 10 wins riding a 7 game win streak.
01-16-2014 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.