Great hire considering UNC offered him their OC job
12-28-2013 10:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: stAtes assistants
(12-28-2013 10:48 PM)RustonCAT Wrote:  Confirmed UNC TE/Recruiting coordinator will become main OC

Great hire considering UNC offered him their OC job

Nice! UNC has really been improving lately so stealing their potential OC is a big deal.
12-28-2013 11:08 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
We also managed to get Houston's OL coach to come here after giving him a slight raise.

Coaching staff so far

HC: Blake Anderson Previously OC at North Carolina
Asst HC and OC Walt Bell Previously TE Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at UNC
QB: Keith Heckendorf Previously OC at Western Carolina
OL: Glen Elarbee Previously OL Coach at Houston
WR: Luke Paschall Previously a GA at UNC and Ole Miss

DC: Joe Cauthen Previously DL Coach at MTSU. Was DC at Valdosta State for 4 years before taking a lesser position at MTSU to move into FBS.
S: Brian Early Previously Defensive Quality Control at Arkansas. Was a High School D Coordinator for years.

For right now, its not a bad staff at all. Bell is the first ASU assistant in a while to be on a 2 year contract. 225K per year. Elarbee will make somewhere around 200K per year. Cauthen will get a similar rate.
12-29-2013 12:34 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Brian Early was the first hire. Great first hire since he was an Arkansas High School D coordinator for a long time and as soon as he got the nod Arkansas high school coaches took notice.

Looks like Anderson knows the deal on creating ties with the local coaching fraternity. Something Harsin was perhaps less aware of or less concerned about.
12-29-2013 01:37 AM
chiefsfan Online

(12-29-2013 01:37 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  Brian Early was the first hire. Great first hire since he was an Arkansas High School D coordinator for a long time and as soon as he got the nod Arkansas high school coaches took notice.

Looks like Anderson knows the deal on creating ties with the local coaching fraternity. Something Harsin was perhaps less aware of or less concerned about.

Not to mention that Anderson did this one day after he announced he was bringing back the A State Ambush.

You want to coach in Arkansas, you have to pay homage to the Arkansas High School fraternity. It gets you in the door at schools where the coaches like to screen colleges for the players.
12-29-2013 02:55 AM
chiefsfan Online

I have to tell this story from a couple years ago...it fully explains how the politics work at a small Arkansas High School

Two years ago, I was working as a teacher at a small Arkansas School. We were a poor district, with about 170 total students. The football program existed, and generally had about 20 total players. That year, the team was in the middle of a 2-8 season, and had not done anything in football since the 90's. It was not an ideal place to work...but I loved it, and it was a job...what can I say.

That week, Malzahn had announced the creation of the A-State Ambush. That week, an Arkansas State Coach would personally visit all 232 football playing schools in the state. No matter how big, nor how small. They may never produce a player...but a coach would visit. ASU went all out and put a coach tracker on the website, and actually listed what schools would be visited what days. I looked it up, and found out what day our assistant was visiting. (Naturally I went to work wearing ASU gear)

Before the visit, ASU had called the schools head coach personally and let him know when to expect us. The ASU coach came in at 7:30am, watched a morning workout, and was gone in an hour. I know the players, no way we had any FBS talent on that team...but he still talked to our coach about needing walk ons and let him know that he would be in contact in the future to discuss it further. The thrilled Head Coach went straight to me that day to let me know how nice our coach was, and how great it was that we had visited.

That afternoon, I am in the main office making copies and a guy walks in. His shirt has a pig logo and reads "Arkansas Football Staff" He comes into the main office, and the conversation with our rather interesting secretary goes like this.

"I am here to see coach (Whatshisname)"

Secretary eyes him suspiciously "And who exactly ARE YOU?" Emphasis on the last two words

"I am Coach Horton with the Razorbacks. I am here to see coach (Whatshisname)"

"Did you call and let him know you were coming

"No Mam, I didn't think I needed to"

"Well you are supposed to call and let him know he is coming. As it is, I don't know where he is, so I guess if you have a seat, and wait to see if he comes by the office, he usually does after school."

I then got to watch amused as Tim Horton, one of the most famous Arkansas coaches at the time, and a nationally renowned recruiter who was a finalist for the App State head coaching job sat on the rather uncomfortable chairs of our school office. the same chairs that are designed for troublebamking students who are sent to visit with the principal. After finishing my copies, I finally took pity. I walked up to him...made sure he could clearly see the ASU logo on my shirt and deeply apologized for making him wait, its just that most D1 coaches call ahead before visiting, and directed him to the gym where he could find the head coach.

Tim Horton is a fabulous recruiter, but he was used to the large schools where Razorback coaches are known and fawned over. How he ended up at our school, God only knows, but you could tell he clearly thought he could just walk in, be recognized immediately, and given a proper welcome.
12-29-2013 03:24 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Chiefsfan, you know exactly why he ended up there. AState was getting publicity and UA was battling it but doing so in their usual tone deaf way.

When Houston Nutt was coaching at Arkansas and Dickey at AState the then AState coach told his staff to keep recruits away from Dickey and everyone related to basketball during visits because they noticed any time an in-state kid visited on Saturday, Danny Nutt (another of the brothers and ass't football coach at UA) would show up at the kids house that next week to recruit them even though most times he brought nothing but an offer to walk on or gray shirt.
12-29-2013 11:45 AM
OsageJ Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(12-29-2013 11:45 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Chiefsfan, you know exactly why he ended up there. AState was getting publicity and UA was battling it but doing so in their usual tone deaf way.

When Houston Nutt was coaching at Arkansas and Dickey at AState the then AState coach told his staff to keep recruits away from Dickey and everyone related to basketball during visits because they noticed any time an in-state kid visited on Saturday, Danny Nutt (another of the brothers and ass't football coach at UA) would show up at the kids house that next week to recruit them even though most times he brought nothing but an offer to walk on or gray shirt.

Dickie should have been shot. Actually for several reasons but definitely for this.
12-29-2013 02:01 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-29-2013 12:34 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We also managed to get Houston's OL coach to come here after giving him a slight raise.

Coaching staff so far

HC: Blake Anderson Previously OC at North Carolina
Asst HC and OC Walt Bell Previously TE Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at UNC
QB: Keith Heckendorf Previously OC at Western Carolina
OL: Glen Elarbee Previously OL Coach at Houston
WR: Luke Paschall Previously a GA at UNC and Ole Miss

DC: Joe Cauthen Previously DL Coach at MTSU. Was DC at Valdosta State for 4 years before taking a lesser position at MTSU to move into FBS.
S: Brian Early Previously Defensive Quality Control at Arkansas. Was a High School D Coordinator for years.

For right now, its not a bad staff at all. Bell is the first ASU assistant in a while to be on a 2 year contract. 225K per year. Elarbee will make somewhere around 200K per year. Cauthen will get a similar rate.

Its pretty special to get a P5 Recruiting Coordinator on board! congrats on a good looking staff!
12-29-2013 06:25 PM
surlycanon Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
A lot of former blue raider players and staff on that staff so far. Good luck to them.
12-30-2013 02:01 AM
chiefsfan Online

(12-30-2013 02:01 AM)surlycanon Wrote:  A lot of former blue raider players and staff on that staff so far. Good luck to them.

There is some angst about that amongst our fan base. Our hearty dislike of MTSU makes this a confusing group.

We trust Blake Anderson though. These guys have good resume's on paper, and we're excited to see how it turns out.
12-30-2013 02:37 AM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Yeah, a lot of MTSU connections but very few that spent a lot of time coaching there and it was several years ago for all but Cauthen.
12-30-2013 11:38 AM
GSUhooligan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
Ya'll can have Jack Curtis and Kevin Corless back.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013 01:12 PM by GSUhooligan.)
12-30-2013 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Online

(12-30-2013 01:11 PM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  Ya'll can have Jack Curtis and Kevin Corless back.

They were here for the Roberts years. And were the first coaches let go by Hugh Freeze. We fully believe that their leaving is part of the reason our team improved. You can have them.
12-30-2013 01:17 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(12-30-2013 02:37 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(12-30-2013 02:01 AM)surlycanon Wrote:  A lot of former blue raider players and staff on that staff so far. Good luck to them.

There is some angst about that amongst our fan base. Our hearty dislike of MTSU makes this a confusing group.

We trust Blake Anderson though. These guys have good resume's on paper, and we're excited to see how it turns out.

Blind trust Chief! Anderson hasn't done anything to earn trust other then sign a contract. Let's see if he can run a program and manage a game.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013 10:30 PM by CrazyCajun.)
12-30-2013 07:24 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Blind trust is all we ever have. Even guys who can run one program as a "proven" head coach often aren't able to translate that to a different situation.

Harsin was a huge disappointment to me as program CEO, I will give him credit for finally having enough sense to quit calling plays.
12-30-2013 11:11 PM
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(12-30-2013 11:11 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Blind trust is all we ever have. Even guys who can run one program as a "proven" head coach often aren't able to translate that to a different situation.

Harsin was a huge disappointment to me as program CEO, I will give him credit for finally having enough sense to quit calling plays.

I remember you guys wanting to hang after the loss to UL in Jonesboro. That didn't sound like blind trust to me sir.03-lmfao
12-30-2013 11:53 PM
chiefsfan Online

(12-30-2013 11:53 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(12-30-2013 11:11 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Blind trust is all we ever have. Even guys who can run one program as a "proven" head coach often aren't able to translate that to a different situation.

I remember you guys wanting to hang after the loss to UL in Jonesboro. That didn't sound like blind trust to me sir.03-lmfao

Well, its not blind anymore after you can see the coach may be in over his head.

Blind trust implies specifically that we have faith in someone without knowing exactly how he will end up.
12-31-2013 12:01 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

What sorta retard would have blind trust in a coach after he's coached a few games?
12-31-2013 12:01 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(12-31-2013 12:01 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

What sorta retard would have blind trust in a coach after he's coached a few games?

Well, perhaps one that would put blind trust in a coach that hasn't coached one game yet in the head coach position? Just saying....

04-cheers
12-31-2013 12:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.