Story: Gary Pinkel
11-29-2013 06:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittRocket Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: OT: Gary Pinkel has pushed Missouri into prime time in SEC
This is a timely post to our message board. As a large number of fans are calling for coaching changes, Pinkel's philosophy remind us of the long-term benefits of stability. Is a change of the offensive side of the staff warranted? Maybe, but it shouldn't be a change that comes hastily after an emotional loss
11-30-2013 10:04 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

When Mo moved to SEC, I'll stand up and admit, I thought they were toast. So rather than admit I was wrong, I'd just like to point at that as far as SEC schedules go, theirs has been easy.

Really hope they win and get into the SECC against Saban. Just would totally look forward to that as Toledo would have to be a part of the media conversation.
11-30-2013 10:17 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
Missouri 28 Texas A&M 21

Pinkel has Mizzou in the SEC Championship game---------good for him and any former Rockets still on his staff
11-30-2013 11:07 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-30-2013 11:07 PM)T-Town Wrote:  Missouri 28 Texas A&M 21

Pinkel has Mizzou in the SEC Championship game---------good for him and any former Rockets still on his staff

Saban does not get in tho... Now that was a coaching blunder. You have to consider the return on a missed FG from that distance. They had nothing but kicker and holder who had a chance of making a play, The fat guys looked lost and got knocked on their a$$ by a couple of blindside hits. They also acted like the game was over and they didn't have to tackle the guy. Anybody else watch that return and think it was surreal? Not even the announcers seemed to know what was going on.
12-01-2013 08:55 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-01-2013 08:55 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  

Saban does not get in tho... Now that was a coaching blunder. You have to consider the return on a missed FG from that distance. They had nothing but kicker and holder who had a chance of making a play, The fat guys looked lost and got knocked on their a$$ by a couple of blindside hits. They also acted like the game was over and they didn't have to tackle the guy. Anybody else watch that return and think it was surreal? Not even the announcers seemed to know what was going on.

Yeah, too bad as I was hoping for a Saban-Pinkel SEC Championship match-up as I suspect most UT fans were because it should have given UT (and Kent) some positive mention during the game.

Looking back, I am somewhat amazed that UT had the talent to play competitively with Missouri at Columbia who should be #4 when the polls come out later today. Had UT executed well the entire game (like the 2000 team was capable of) they could have actually won that game. I have to think that as the season went on Missouri got a better while UT seriously regressed.

Reflecting on this season I have the same kind of disappointment that I had with the 2011 season when I also felt that the table was set such that the team had the opportunity to actually achieve greatness rather than just continue to chase after it but as in 2011 it fell short of its potential. Of course achieving potential is always difficult which is what makes it so special when it does happen.
12-01-2013 09:44 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(12-01-2013 08:55 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  

Never seen a finish like that one. Unbelievable.

Thought it was a dumb decision to go for the 57 yard FG anyways.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 10:19 AM by inductchuck16.)
12-01-2013 10:18 AM
Advertisement

owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
Pinkel is awesome
12-01-2013 07:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(11-30-2013 10:04 AM)PittRocket Wrote:  This is a timely post to our message board. As a large number of fans are calling for coaching changes, Pinkel's philosophy remind us of the long-term benefits of stability. Is a change of the offensive side of the staff warranted? Maybe, but it shouldn't be a change that comes hastily after an emotional loss

During our trip to Columbia, more than a couple Mizzou fans asked us to take Gary Pinkel back to Toledo with us, I told them we would be more than happy to. That is nothing against coach Campbell, but I reminded Mizzou fans that Mizzou football was nothing prior to Gary Pinkel's arrival. The Mizzou fans told me he couldn't win in the SEC, I told them, without GP, Mizzou wouldn't be in the SEC. I guess he proved them wrong. Congrats to Coach Pinkel, best of luck to the Missouri Tigers, and best of luck to Coach Campbell and his staff, I am sure there will be a lot of soul searching during this off season.
12-04-2013 08:18 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
(12-04-2013 08:18 PM)Rocket A Wrote:  
(11-30-2013 10:04 AM)PittRocket Wrote:  This is a timely post to our message board. As a large number of fans are calling for coaching changes, Pinkel's philosophy remind us of the long-term benefits of stability. Is a change of the offensive side of the staff warranted? Maybe, but it shouldn't be a change that comes hastily after an emotional loss

During our trip to Columbia, more than a couple Mizzou fans asked us to take Gary Pinkel back to Toledo with us, I told them we would be more than happy to. That is nothing against coach Campbell, but I reminded Mizzou fans that Mizzou football was nothing prior to Gary Pinkel's arrival. The Mizzou fans told me he couldn't win in the SEC, I told them, without GP, Mizzou wouldn't be in the SEC. I guess he proved them wrong. Congrats to Coach Pinkel, best of luck to the Missouri Tigers, and best of luck to Coach Campbell and his staff, I am sure there will be a lot of soul searching during this off season.

Football Scoop reports that Coach Pinkel appeared on the Mike and Mike Show and says he is staying at Missouri.
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 09:25 AM by SylvaniaRocket.)
12-05-2013 09:20 AM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Blows me a way how fickle fans can be. Can't imagine there are any "fire Pinkle" conversations going on. They were a mediocre Big 12 team and he turned them into a competitive team year in and out. Now he's playing for a SEC campionship. His program has been one of the most consistently competitive teams since he's been there, how quickly fans forget. I'd be glad to still have him.
12-05-2013 10:33 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-05-2013 10:33 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Blows me a way how fickle fans can be. Can't imagine there are any "fire Pinkle" conversations going on. They were a mediocre Big 12 team and he turned them into a competitive team year in and out. Now he's playing for a SEC campionship. His program has been one of the most consistently competitive teams since he's been there, how quickly fans forget. I'd be glad to still have him.

Don't be too hard on the Mizzou fans. You have to remember they were coming off an injury plagued unusual losing season and then they were actually lit up at home a bit by David Fluellen and a Toledo team from the lowly MAC. They were unranked and many, if not most, thought they would be facing another losing season this year----even their most optimistic fans in their wildest dreams could have imagined playing for the SEC Championship this year.

Also you have to remember that Pinkel has always been a serious, low-key, non-glamorous patient type who puts a lot more emphasis on attention to detail and execution rather than to hype----and he usually produces a winning, but not necessarily glamorous, program.

Pinkel's teams at Toledo were usually characterized by a good, solid defense and an offense with a good running game and a savy QB who was a leader who could run the offense but was no threat to ever become an NFL QB. Although his teams lacked the glamour of a Rob Spence type offense, they were usually successful to the extent of producing a winning season as a "good" team. Every few years thus formula produced a "great" team and the occasional MACC. So far at Mizzou, Pinkel has produced a number of good teams but, while coming close a couple of times, has not yet produced that "great" team that fans expect (for comparison, how many UT fans are happy with 7-5 this year or being dominated by NIU for 4 straight years?).

In summary, Pinkel's low key, strictly business approach to the game produced positive results but (aside from the winning itself) not necessarily the excitement that a wide open offensive team produces.
12-05-2013 05:16 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

Coach Pinkel gets a raise and a contract extension. Will make more than $3 million a year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-extension
03-06-2014 07:43 PM
Advertisement

rocketpete Offline
2nd String

I Root For: toledo
(03-06-2014 07:43 PM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  Coach Pinkel gets a raise and a contract extension. Will make more than $3 million a year.

It will be a pleasure watching them scamper from Toledo after we crunch them, like we should have last season.
Their fans flat out told me that UT outplayed them last season and they could not wait till their coach got a Pinkel slip.
I,ve got a good feeling about next fall.
03-06-2014 10:21 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

(03-06-2014 07:43 PM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  Coach Pinkel gets a raise and a contract extension. Will make more than $3 million a year.

$3 million a year. That's peanuts. The latest (dated April 24th) on Pinkel's contract and salary.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...sion-raise
04-25-2015 06:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.