Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone else miss Temple?
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Anyone else miss Temple?
I admit, I liked making the Philly road trips. I wish Temple had made a solid commitment to football.
06-03-2006 03:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

If Temple had upgraded their facilities, even still now, and showed a serious commitment to winning they would have been a GREAT football-only member. Very good member. That's what ticks me off about the Temple athletic department doing that to that program.
06-03-2006 03:32 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I really miss playing Temple in basketball....WVU/Temple had a great bball rivalry once.....I would have no problem with them coming back or becoming an all sports member (if that were possible) if they could just improve a little bit in football

Jackson
06-03-2006 04:03 PM
FunkmasterFlash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State

Can you guys take back Temple, please?I have ZERO idea what the MAC was thinking taking Temple football only.
06-03-2006 04:07 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State

Temple would have been a great for the 9th member, alot of scheduling problems would have been solved. Also the BE needs a whipping boy to help get the wins for the big boys ie see Baylor for B12, Vandy for SEC, Duke for ACC. That almost guaranted win comes in handy.
06-03-2006 04:35 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

FunkmasterFlash Wrote:Can you guys take back Temple, please?I have ZERO idea what the MAC was thinking taking Temple football only.

That's a good question. The MAC is a solid conference right now fighting for respect, Temple isn't going to help unless they start winning 6 or 7 games a year. Congrats on your 3rd bowl agreement! You guys definitely deserve at least 4 bowl alignments.
06-03-2006 05:41 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

MissouriStateBears Wrote:Temple would have been a great for the 9th member, alot of scheduling problems would have been solved. Also the BE needs a whipping boy to help get the wins for the big boys ie see Baylor for B12, Vandy for SEC, Duke for ACC. That almost guaranted win comes in handy.

True! Apparently though, part of Temple's fall from grace is also rumored to be, lets just say, "incompatible" personalities involved with Temple officials and Big East officials. If the rumors are true that Temple fans were talking about.
06-03-2006 05:43 PM
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Yeah Phily is a easy trip and Temple is a nice university. I really think had Temole been a "all sport" member they would have have spent the money better. In Basketball I''d take Nova over Temple and so would Big East. Temple hopefully will turn it around in MAC but they probably don't give a darn.[/b]
06-03-2006 05:58 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

PusherT Wrote:Yeah Phily is a easy trip and Temple is a nice university. I really think had Temole been a "all sport" member they would have have spent the money better. In Basketball I''d take Nova over Temple and so would Big East. Temple hopefully will turn it around in MAC but they probably don't give a darn.[/b]

Maybe, but I don't buy that argument. Because, while Temple wasn't an All-Sports member, John Chaney had Temple basketball, for the majority of the time, on the same level as most of the Big East programs. So it was like they were in the Big East in a way. Temple was bringing in huge coin, maybe not at Big East level, but still very high. Totally unacceptable not to try and improve their athletic department.
06-03-2006 06:01 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

If Temple continues to struggle in the MAC, the MAC will get more teams bowl elgible by beating up on Temple. There is always the chance that other conferences come up short in filling bowl slots. Having several weak teams can perhaps give an average team that one win that puts them 7-5 instead of 6-6. That makes a huge difference when leagues like the BE have lots of bowls and just eight teams. If Notre Dame were to have a 5-7 season with a top heavy year from BE, the BE would have trouble filling the Birmingham bowl. A 7-5 MAC team like BG or Akron can slip in with a D-AA win, Sun belt ooc cupcake, and beat EMU, Temple, UB, Kent State and Ohio. 7 wins over teams with 4 or less wins and bowl elgible. Now you see why MAC added Temple. More cupcakes for Akron, BGSU, and Miami.
06-03-2006 06:11 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

I definately miss Temple. For whatever reason they always played Pitt tough. I would love to see them right the ship and return as either a FB only or a full member of the all sports conference. They have a lot of work to do before that happens though.
06-03-2006 06:19 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Is it me or would the Philly schools solve a lot of the Big East problems. Villanova if they would move up or Temple if they ever got their act together.
06-03-2006 06:26 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

Not just you, that would resolve a bunch of problems.
06-03-2006 06:28 PM
usmjournalism Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM

how is it that Villanova can stand to play football in a league that gets passed from one conference to another. It was the Yankee conference or whatever it was called in the 90s. Then the A-10 took over the football conference, but half the teams were eventually playing their other sports in the Colonial Athletic Association, and now the football league is being handed over to the CAA to run the show. With Old Dominion adding football in a few years, the monarchs will be joining the league and there will be some stability for a change considering half the league will be all sports members of the CAA and will have no reason to leave. That basically leaves Richmond, Massachussetts, Rhode Island, Maine, New HAmpshire and Villanova and rumor has it that those schools aren't too keen on being the "other guys" in the CAA.
Why doesn't Villanova just go ahead and move up to I-A football and become an all sports member of the Big East. It would shift the power from an 8-8 football-basketball split to a 9-7 split.
06-03-2006 11:31 PM
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

usmjournalism Wrote:Why doesn't Villanova just go ahead and move up to I-A football and become an all sports member of the Big East. It would shift the power from an 8-8 football-basketball split to a 9-7 split.

That is the question we ALL would like answered. It would solve many problems (i.e. scheduling) if they were to step-up. VU would recoup the expenses from BCS and tv monies eventually.

also, Marquette had a Div-1 program at one time (1945-1960).
06-03-2006 11:41 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Villanova is a private school and wouldn't have the state $$$ that UCONN had when they started their 1-A program. It would be much tougher for Nova.
06-03-2006 11:44 PM
Advertisement

usmjournalism Offline
1st String

work out a deal to use UPenn's stadium then. It's in Philly and it holds, what, 50,000?
06-03-2006 11:50 PM
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

usmjournalism, what's your angle with the questions ?

Why would any USM fan care about this ?
06-03-2006 11:55 PM
usmjournalism Offline
1st String

WVU82 Wrote:usmjournalism, what's your angle with the questions ?

Why would any USM fan care about this ?

As long as the Big East straightens itself out by looking internally. It means you don't come back to CUSA and force us to take teams like ULL, ASU, MTSU, FAU, FIU, ULM, La Tech, Troy or North Texas. Haven't you guys done enough damage to our conference? Do you really have to come back and finish us off?

Shoot, take Navy or do whatever you've got to do to force Notre Dame's hand into becoming an all sports member. Seems like you guys already have the ability to solve your scheduling issues by looking inside the Big East. No need to raid CUSA again.
06-04-2006 12:04 AM
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

usmjournalism Wrote:Haven't you guys done enough damage to our conference? Do you really have to come back and finish us off?

Are you serious ? (will be shortened to AYS in the future)

Do you think the BEast is to blame for hurting CUSA ? The blame is directly on the ACC. The BEast was about to kick the BCS-bucket due to our defections caused by the ACC. We were fighting for survival, the ACC and BEast defectors were in it for money. I'm amazed that we didn't lose our BCS bid, well, who isn't ? But, if blame is to laid anywhere, the ACC is the cause, they started the domino-effect. The BEast was just caught in the middle.

Just hand over ECU and everyone will be happy and we can stay on our own boards.
06-04-2006 12:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.