Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Four Teams....One Bowl slot
Here are my bowl predictions.

1. Only two SBC teams will go bowling
2. UL will go to New Orleans

One of the following teams has the best chance at Mobile.

Troy: Advantages, close locale to Go Daddy bowl, should sell tickets. Disadvantages: They still have to beat Texas State to be eligible, and at best would have a 6-6 record, and the fact that most league teams would throw a fit if they were taken over a 8 or 9 win team. Also, there are statistics to back this up. The 2nd place team in the league has gotten the 2nd Sun Belt bid in every year of existence except two. Once, win a 7 win WKU was left out for a 9 win UL and 8 win FIU, and the other last year, when three teams tied for 2nd, and MTSU was left out. But they were leaving the league anyway.

I pick Troy is out

WKU: If the Sun Belt has any say, the Toppers will not be bowling. The Petrino factor would be a huge help with an outside bowl...but for a league affiliated bowl, it could be a huge issue if the Toppers were taken despite not finishing 2nd in the Sun Belt. Especially if they lose one of their last two games to Texas State or ASU. I pick WKU is out

Texas State/Arkansas State: I am placing the two teams together because I feel inevitably the bowl slot will go to the winner of this weekend's game.

If Texas State wins:
The Bobcats will have 7 wins, with two winnable games left. A single win against WKU or Troy would lock them into 2nd place, and give them victories over any team challenging them for the Go Daddy spot. It would be hard for an ASU or WKU to argue against the spot if they lost to the Bobcats

If Arkansas State wins: The Red Wolves would have 6 wins, with a game against Georgia State coming the next week. Assuming they beat Georgia State, ASU would be locked into sole possession of 2nd place in the league, and would have the edge of having sold tickets to Mobile the last two years

My Prediction:
If Texas State beats ASU, and doesn't get blown out of the water the last two games vs WKU and at Troy...they go bowling.

If Arkansas State beats Texas State and then beats Georgia State...they go bowling, regardless what happens at WKU Nov 30th.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 06:44 PM by chiefsfan.)
11-14-2013 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Four Teams....One Bowl slot
I'd agree with all that, but if Troy beats Old Mrs this weekend, all of that gets blown up.

Not to mention, the season isn't over yet and I smell Georgia State getting an upset this weekend.03-shhhh If that happens, it's all back in the air again.
11-14-2013 06:44 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-14-2013 06:44 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I'd agree with all that, but if Troy beats Old Mrs this weekend, all of that gets blown up.

Not to mention, the season isn't over yet and I smell Georgia State getting an upset this weekend.03-shhhh If that happens, it's all back in the air again.

This is correct: If USA or Troy were to win out, or Georgia State was to pull off a major upset...things get blown up.

I decided to play the odds here. If Georgia State beats UL, Cajun fans would explode.
11-14-2013 06:51 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(11-14-2013 06:39 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Here are my bowl predictions.

Troy: Advantages, close locale to Go Daddy bowl, should sell tickets. Disadvantages: They still have to beat Texas State to be eligible, and at best would have a 6-6 record, and the fact that most league teams would throw a fit if they were taken over a 8 or 9 win team. Also, there are statistics to back this up. The 2nd place team in the league has gotten the 2nd Sun Belt bid in every year of existence except two. Once, win a 7 win WKU was left out for a 9 win UL and 8 win FIU, and the other last year, when three teams tied for 2nd, and MTSU was left out. But they were leaving the league anyway.

I pick Troy is out

WKU: If the Sun Belt has any say, the Toppers will not be bowling. The Petrino factor would be a huge help with an outside bowl...but for a league affiliated bowl, it could be a huge issue if the Toppers were taken despite not finishing 2nd in the Sun Belt. Especially if they lose one of their last two games to Texas State or ASU. I pick WKU is out

Texas State/Arkansas State: I am placing the two teams together because I feel inevitably the bowl slot will go to the winner of this weekend's game.

If Texas State wins:
The Bobcats will have 7 wins, with two winnable games left. A single win against WKU or Troy would lock them into 2nd place, and give them victories over any team challenging them for the Go Daddy spot. It would be hard for an ASU or WKU to argue against the spot if they lost to the Bobcats

If Arkansas State wins: The Red Wolves would have 6 wins, with a game against Georgia State coming the next week. Assuming they beat Georgia State, ASU would be locked into sole possession of 2nd place in the league, and would have the edge of having sold tickets to Mobile the last two years

My Prediction:
If Texas State beats ASU, and doesn't get blown out of the water the last two games vs WKU and at Troy...they go bowling.

If Arkansas State beats Texas State and then beats Georgia State...they go bowling, regardless what happens at WKU Nov 30th.

Western's only shot at a SBC spot is to win out and have TXST beat ASU then lose at Troy. Or ASU beat TXST and then lose to GSU.

A 8-4 WKU with wins over both ASU (6-6) and TXST (7-5) will be interesting with all three tied for 2nd place in the conference. I understand the logic of the SBC not going to bat for Western but a case could be made for legal action and damages if they didn't ....

which I don't think Western would pursue but I believe there would be a case there. Most Western fans knew this before the season started...anything other than a SBC championship or a open slot unfilled would be Western's only likely bowl chance.
11-14-2013 06:59 PM
TXSTRiverBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State
I agree with the idea that the winner of TXST vs ASU will go bowling but I don't think the loser is completely out of it. If ASU loses they will still play GSU and WKU. If they win both they end the season at 7-5 and if there's an extra spot from another conference they would make it in. If TXST loses, their in the same situation except with the opportunity to make it to 8-4. But that requires an open spot from another conference. So assuming that there's not one, the winner of this weekends game could be the only one going bowling this year.
11-14-2013 07:05 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(11-14-2013 06:44 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I'd agree with all that, but if Troy beats Old Mrs this weekend, all of that gets blown up.

Troy? Beat Ole Miss??? 03-lmfao

Troy will probably score close to 30 points on them, but Ole Miss is going to have a field day with Troy's defensive secondary... wouldn't be surprised if they hung up 500 yards passing and 70 points on us.

Troy is going to need a BUNCH of lucky breaks to upset Ole Miss.
11-14-2013 07:20 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

Ryan Aplin is on the Ole Miss Coaching staff. I am sure he already he's already explained to everyone on that team how to score on Troy's defense.
11-14-2013 07:23 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-14-2013 06:59 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

I pick Troy is out

If Texas State wins:

My Prediction:

Western's only shot at a SBC spot is to win out and have TXST beat ASU then lose at Troy. Or ASU beat TXST and then lose to GSU.

A 8-4 WKU with wins over both ASU (6-6) and TXST (7-5) will be interesting with all three tied for 2nd place in the conference. I understand the logic of the SBC not going to bat for Western but a case could be made for legal action and damages if they didn't ....

which I don't think Western would pursue but I believe there would be a case there. Most Western fans knew this before the season started...anything other than a SBC championship or a open slot unfilled would be Western's only likely bowl chance.

WKU would have no legal case because the SBC's contract says that the Go daddy can take any team they want that is bowl eligible. We'd have to take a non bowl eligible team to break the contract.
11-14-2013 07:24 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(11-14-2013 07:24 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I pick Troy is out

If Texas State wins:

My Prediction:

WKU would have no legal case because the SBC's contract says that the Go daddy can take any team they want that is bowl eligible. We'd have to take a non bowl eligible team to break the contract.

That wasn't what I said because like you said the GoDaddy can take who they want. But you made a point to say the SBC would not push WKU at them while at the same time going to bat for ASU or TXST. Being a member of a conference is a contract and I'm fairly certain in those bylaws there's a rule against the conduct you pointed out....

so in that case if it can be proved that the Godaddy had a interest in WKU and the SBC push another team at them then a contract would be broken.

Like I said even if that was the case I think Western would take it and move on.
11-14-2013 07:38 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
The title of this thread sounds so dirty.
11-14-2013 08:38 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(11-14-2013 08:38 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  The title of this thread sounds so dirty.

right. all I could think of was 'two girls one cup' when I saw it.
11-14-2013 08:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU

I pick Troy is out

If Texas State wins:

My Prediction:

The Sun Belt doesn't owe WKU squat. So long as WKU doesn't win the conference outright, they aren't owed a spot anywhere. WKU could finish 2nd in the conference, have a 11-1 record and the GDB can take a 6-6 Troy or USA and WKU has no recourse.
11-14-2013 09:29 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(11-14-2013 09:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  The Sun Belt doesn't owe WKU squat. So long as WKU doesn't win the conference outright, they aren't owed a spot anywhere. WKU could finish 2nd in the conference, have a 11-1 record and the GDB can take a 6-6 Troy or USA and WKU has no recourse.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Two years ago WKU finished alone in 2nd place at 7-1 but was left at home. These things happen. I think what he was saying was that if the league purposely pushed another league team over WKU even though a Bowl wanted WKU then that could be contractually wrong of the SBC leadership. Regardless, it's all moot. How could you ever prove that occurred? Anyway, WKU is unlikely to finish 8-4 anyway so this is a non-issue.
11-14-2013 09:34 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Several things come to mind here.

1) The Cajuns could lose this weekend.....it'd be the result of a perfect storm. They've survived two tough games though the NMSU game wasn't so tough in the second half. GaState will throw everything they've got at the Cajuns. What better way to end a losing streak than to knock off the supposed best team in the conference? And boy, would that throw a monkey wrench into things.01-lauramac2

2) WKU has generally surprised me with their play since the Cajuns beat them. I didn't think they'd do as well as they're doing. Having said that, I don't see them going bowling on behalf of the Belt.

3) I agree with the OP that the winner of Saturday's game between TxState and stAte will likely get the second bowl slot. Yeah, TxState has some tough games thereafter, but boy, they'll be really motivated if they can knock off stAte at Jonesboro.

4) Up until last week I was about 100% sure the Cajuns would play in New Orleans. However, after knotching that 7th win, no invite came which to me indicates there are some behind-the-scenes discussions/planning taking place. If the Cajuns continue to win, I see it less and less likely they'll go to New Orleans. If the Cajuns end up second in the league, or tied for first, etc, then I think it'll be NO-bound for the team.
11-14-2013 09:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

After last year, I doubt the NO Bowl will invite early again. They got a lot of criticism from the league for jumping the gun on the Cajuns. There was a point for a while when several of us thought that the NOB inviting early might cost the SBC a chance at 4 teams in bowls

The telling sign that everyone is sitting back and waiting this year is that the New Orleans Bowl is visiting Jonesboro this weekend. They never really gave us the time of day last year despite our record. I know ASU has never gotten along that well with the bowl ever since the 2005 disaster, but it was kind of tacky not giving the champion the time of day.

I am hopeful that the SBC is keeping both bowls on a tighter leash this year and will make sure we have exhausted our chances at 3 bowl bids before we let UL go back to New Orleans.
11-14-2013 09:52 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(11-14-2013 09:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I pick Troy is out

If Texas State wins:

My Prediction:

The Sun Belt doesn't owe WKU squat. So long as WKU doesn't win the conference outright, they aren't owed a spot anywhere. WKU could finish 2nd in the conference, have a 11-1 record and the GDB can take a 6-6 Troy or USA and WKU has no recourse.

Try reading for comprehension and use your brain for once

Legally the SBC owes WKU the same thing they owe every other school in the conference till July 1st of 2014.
11-14-2013 09:58 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
The big thing is not to commit a LaTech type blunder. If you are invited, you damn well better accept and not hope for something better, that never comes along.
11-14-2013 09:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-14-2013 09:58 PM)Usajags Wrote:  The big thing is not to commit a LaTech type blunder. If you are invited, you damn well better accept and not hope for something better, that never comes along.

Sort of. Since league rules require the champ to be accommodated before all SBC bowls can make a move, it makes sense for the Bowls to wait, and makes sense for the school to wait.

Lets say ASU finishes 8-4 and Texas State 7-5. Yes, Go Daddy would be pretty much a lock for ASU, but what if the Independence Bowl comes open for an SBC school. They might be more interested in an 8-4 ASU or a 10-2 UL over a 7-5 Texas State.

We wait, because our only chance at three bowl teams this year may involve being able to slide our best team to a non league affiliated bowl, opening our other bowls to take a 7-5 type team.
11-14-2013 10:03 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-14-2013 09:58 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(11-14-2013 09:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I pick Troy is out

If Texas State wins:

My Prediction:

Try reading for comprehension and use your brain for once

Legally the SBC owes WKU the same thing they owe every other school in the conference till July 1st of 2014.

We do...which means we fight to see if a bowl would be interested in taking the toppers. The point is, if those bowls are not open...you're not going to see the SBC fighting the Go Daddy to put WKU in the game...they'll want a 2014 member placed first.

If we could get a Detroit or wherever to take you guys...that's great. Its just not going to be a league affiliated bowl.
11-14-2013 10:06 PM
Florida Red Wolf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(11-14-2013 07:38 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(11-14-2013 07:24 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I pick Troy is out

If Texas State wins:

My Prediction:

That wasn't what I said because like you said the GoDaddy can take who they want. But you made a point to say the SBC would not push WKU at them while at the same time going to bat for ASU or TXST. Being a member of a conference is a contract and I'm fairly certain in those bylaws there's a rule against the conduct you pointed out....

so in that case if it can be proved that the Godaddy had a interest in WKU and the SBC push another team at them then a contract would be broken.

Like I said even if that was the case I think Western would take it and move on.

This lawyer talk makes me want to puke.
11-14-2013 10:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.