Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis doesn't owe a dime to CUSA
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Memphis doesn't owe a dime to CUSA
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...er=popular

Can't read the article because it's behind a paywall. But I can take a guess at what this is.

Memphis has a ton of NCAA tournament credits that will stay with CUSA and CUSA bylaws allow for tournament credits to be used to offset the exit fee. The CUSA exit fee is $500K, with an additional 5 years of TV revenue that must be put into escrow in case the conference TV deal goes down within 5 years. Memphis has earned enough NCAA credits to wipe out the $500K easily, and should eat a good chunk of the $6M put into escrow as well - and they should (as should everyone else leaving CUSA) get that money back at the end of 5 years as CUSA is showing no indication of losing TV revenue. Also, the entry fee into the American was essentially waived as part of the settlement of the "war chest" of exit fees and tourney credits left behind by the departing schools. After all is said and done, Memphis will have made a couple of million dollars in the process (as will most if not all of CUSA's defectors).

Can anyone verify by posting a synopsis of this article?
11-11-2013 04:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: Memphis doesn't owe a dime to CUSA
I'd bet UCF is getting their escrow money back early and in full due to CUSA tv contract not taking a hit. I think both will get out of CUSA relatively unscathed.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 04:38 PM by Knights_of_UCF.)
11-11-2013 04:38 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
I believe you can post a teaser:

Quote:So here’s good news for Memphis’ pocketbook as it pertains to what it actually bought: C-USA and the U of M reached a settlement this summer by which the school’s total cost of separation from its old league is a tidy and manageable figure: $0.

The Tigers’ relatively recent NCAA tournament success was a big reason why. The U of M was able to apply NCAA basketball tournament credits, the amounts the NCAA pays conferences for their members’ performance in the event, to their bill.

In fact, the U of M could actually make money from its settlement with C-USA.

Beginning next season and through 2018-19, any men’s basketball game Memphis plays at a C-USA school — or on a neutral site, if the C-USA school owns the rights to broadcast it — will be worth half an NCAA tournament share directly to the Tigers, up to a maximum of two a season.

In 2013, NCAA tournament shares were worth $245,500, according to the NCAA.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...er=popular
11-11-2013 04:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
Some of the people who feel the need to pay for that liberal rag discuss it HERE

But from what I gathered, they were all focusing on consequences for basketball. Being as it is the middle of Football season, I quickly ignored the remainder of what I hadn't read yet.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 04:44 PM by geosnooker2000.)
11-11-2013 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
So Memphis doesn't have to pay CUSA any cash, but they're still losing out on the future revenue that they would have received if they had kept the credits.
11-11-2013 04:42 PM
klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-11-2013 04:42 PM)MechaKnight Wrote:  So Memphis doesn't have to pay CUSA any cash, but they're still losing out on the future revenue that they would have received if they had kept the credits.

The loss of the CUSA credits will be more than offset by the gain of AAC credits. Memphis is now in a conference where they won't be the only ones doing the heavy lifting in that regard.
11-11-2013 04:48 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(11-11-2013 04:42 PM)MechaKnight Wrote:  So Memphis doesn't have to pay CUSA any cash, but they're still losing out on the future revenue that they would have received if they had kept the credits.

They have to stay behind I believe...so we simply used them towards our exit fee...and now we could get a little back if we schedule some CUSA schools at neutral/away locations. (For the next 5 years)

UAB in Tupelo (BancorpSouth Arena)
USM in Southaven (Landers Center)
MTSU in Nashville (Bridgestone Arena)

That's $368,250 from CUSA right there...and the CUSA teams would get the gate money.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 05:04 PM by UofMemphis.)
11-11-2013 04:48 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville

Schools never get to keep them; they are always paid to the conference for distribution. By the way, if you want to compare, in contrast Louisville (and nearly every other team leaving a conference) is leaving behind ALL of it's credits to the AAC and gets to take none of it with them, nor use any of it to offset their exit fee. For the sake of arguments, if you assume a Sweet 16 appearance for UofL this season, the credits left behind AFTER 2014 will total $18,265,048, with no credit going towards the $10,000,000 early exit fee.

You are welcome! 07-coffee3
11-11-2013 05:05 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(11-11-2013 05:05 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

Schools never get to keep them; they are always paid to the conference for distribution. By the way, if you want to compare, in contrast Louisville (and nearly every other team leaving a conference) is leaving behind ALL of it's credits to the AAC and gets to take none of it with them, nor use any of it to offset their exit fee. For the sake of arguments, if you assume a Sweet 16 appearance for UofL this season, the credits left behind AFTER 2014 will total $18,265,048, with no credit going towards the $10,000,000 early exit fee.

lol.....Thanks!!
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 05:13 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-11-2013 05:12 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(11-11-2013 05:05 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

Tell you what. You keep the $18,000,000, and we'll take the ACC spot. Deal?
11-11-2013 05:19 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
If you can somehow get the $18 million to ME I'll do my best to make that happen.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 05:32 PM by adcorbett.)
11-11-2013 05:31 PM
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(11-11-2013 04:42 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Some of the people who feel the need to pay for that liberal rag discuss it HERE

But from what I gathered, they were all focusing on consequences for basketball. Being as it is the middle of Football season, I quickly ignored the remainder of what I hadn't read yet.

if you feel the need to put your political views into a post, please feel free to stick to the many, many, many political boards on this site. It has no place on a sports board.
11-11-2013 05:49 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(11-11-2013 05:49 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 04:42 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Some of the people who feel the need to pay for that liberal rag discuss it HERE

if you feel the need to put your political views into a post, please feel free to stick to the many, many, many political boards on this site. It has no place on a sports board.

Cry me a river. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 05:58 PM by geosnooker2000.)
11-11-2013 05:57 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators

Yep...
11-11-2013 05:58 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(11-11-2013 05:58 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

Yep...

The context would be lost.
11-11-2013 05:59 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
Let's just stick to the topic, please.
11-11-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline

(11-11-2013 06:02 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Let's just stick to the topic, please.

Look, I just short-circuited about 5 or 6 posts by putting "that liberal rag" in my post. Because If I didn't put that, inevitably, someone would either criticize, or question why I, as a Memphis fan, do not subscribe to my own hometown paper. Just one reading, and there is no need to question why I can only refer to a thread about the article, and not the article itself. You immediately know why I can't give a synopsis.

See how considerate I am?
11-11-2013 06:07 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(11-11-2013 06:07 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Look, I just short-circuited about 5 or 6 posts by putting "that liberal rag" in my post. Because If I didn't put that, inevitably, someone would either criticize, or question why I, as a Memphis fan, do not subscribe to my own hometown paper. Just one reading, and there is no need to question why I can only refer to a thread about the article, and not the article itself. You immediately know why I can't give a synopsis.

We've got the same here. I only read the Sports section anymore to keep blood pressure down.................................. Now back to Sports !04-cheers
11-11-2013 06:14 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(11-11-2013 06:14 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 06:07 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

We've got the same here. I only read the Sports section anymore to keep blood pressure down.................................. Now back to Sports !04-cheers

An option I wish I had....
11-11-2013 06:17 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
Poor thread...

[Image: 312482cd_runaway_train_derailed_thread_soul_asylum.jpeg]
11-11-2013 06:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.