Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App St, Georgia St, and Georgia Southern question
Bookmark and Share
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
How many scholarships did y'all give out this season? I assume Georgia St is at the full FBS allotment. Have App and Georgia Southern added this year? Will they add half for next season and then get the full amount in two years?

I know Texas St slowly ramped up the total but I think we started adding our last year in FCS.
11-09-2013 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: App St, Georgia St, and Georgia Southern question
I'm sure they have already added scholarships, that is why they are ineligible for the FCS championships. They will add something like 30 scholarships, but you are only allowed to give like 26 per year, so it takes like 3 years to get up to full scholarships. I'm sure my numbers are off, but I was going off of what I remember reading in the past.
11-09-2013 01:30 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(11-09-2013 01:30 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I'm sure they have already added scholarships, that is why they are ineligible for the FCS championships. They will add something like 30 scholarships, but you are only allowed to give like 26 per year, so it takes like 3 years to get up to full scholarships. I'm sure my numbers are off, but I was going off of what I remember reading in the past.

I think Texas St added 15 for two years
11-09-2013 01:32 PM
Dman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
nm
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 01:43 PM by Dman.)
11-09-2013 01:41 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(11-09-2013 01:32 PM)slycat Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 01:30 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I'm sure they have already added scholarships, that is why they are ineligible for the FCS championships. They will add something like 30 scholarships, but you are only allowed to give like 26 per year, so it takes like 3 years to get up to full scholarships. I'm sure my numbers are off, but I was going off of what I remember reading in the past.

I think Texas St added 15 for two years

We added 11 the first year ( 2011 as FCS Indy) to get to 74 then added the other 11 last year.

We have 110 guys on the team meaning, 25 are non-scholarship
11-09-2013 01:45 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Yes our number went up, but not to the full 85. That's why we can't participate in the playoffs.
11-09-2013 03:02 PM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
72 but some went to Walkon seniors. We are targeting 25+ recruits for 2014.
11-09-2013 05:59 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Pretty much every player we have on scholarship was here last year. We announced after signing day. All we did was give the guys on partials full schollies. This recruiting year is when we add players that actually know they will be playing FBS football. It really is a sham that us and Appy are ineligible. We don't have really anyone on the team we would not have if we were still FCS.
11-10-2013 07:29 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-10-2013 07:29 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  Pretty much every player we have on scholarship was here last year. We announced after signing day. All we did was give the guys on partials full schollies. This recruiting year is when we add players that actually know they will be playing FBS football. It really is a sham that us and Appy are ineligible. We don't have really anyone on the team we would not have if we were still FCS.

Would have really mattered if you guys were eligible, I don't think either of you were going to make the playoffs this year anyway.
11-10-2013 08:56 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Georgia State is not at the full allotment yet. They should be next year.
11-10-2013 09:26 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(11-10-2013 08:56 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 07:29 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  Pretty much every player we have on scholarship was here last year. We announced after signing day. All we did was give the guys on partials full schollies. This recruiting year is when we add players that actually know they will be playing FBS football. It really is a sham that us and Appy are ineligible. We don't have really anyone on the team we would not have if we were still FCS.

Would have really mattered if you guys were eligible, I don't think either of you were going to make the playoffs this year anyway.

Chicken or the egg. Because we are not eligible for playoffs, there was a lot of complacency. Also, we redshirted a lot of players. If a guy has a hangnail, he is held out for a medical redshirt.

So much of football is mental and it's hard to get players to give 100% when there is nothing to play for other than pride.
11-10-2013 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You can have your excuses, and that is all they are. But think to yourself, are your excuses for you or for me??? As Coach Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game".
11-10-2013 09:33 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Yup, I don't buy the no playoffs talk. Sorry, but if you are halfway competitive, you play to win that game, not play to win that game because you get into the playoffs.
11-10-2013 10:15 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(11-10-2013 10:15 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Yup, I don't buy the no playoffs talk. Sorry, but if you are halfway competitive, you play to win that game, not play to win that game because you get into the playoffs.

Ha, when UTA gets a football team I will value your opinion a little more.

Those NFL players really play hard to win the preseason exhibition games. You need to remind them you always play to win the game. Lol
11-10-2013 10:28 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Last time I checked, UTA has an athletic program. Playing to win is not a football thing, it is a competitive thing. If your kids have no pride and don't care if they win or lose, you may want to try and get different kids. I want my teams to care no matter what they are doing. Win every position, win every play, win every game.
11-10-2013 10:33 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(11-10-2013 09:33 AM)Usajags Wrote:  You can have your excuses, and that is all they are. But think to yourself, are your excuses for you or for me??? As Coach Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game".

I actually think having a so/so season this year is a big plus. It has helped temper the expectations for next year and I am sure lulled some of our future opponents into at least some complacency. Starting a large number of "second & third string" underclassmen for much of the season is also building an experienced team.
11-10-2013 11:18 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-10-2013 11:18 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 09:33 AM)Usajags Wrote:  You can have your excuses, and that is all they are. But think to yourself, are your excuses for you or for me??? As Coach Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game".

I actually think having a so/so season this year is a big plus. It has helped temper the expectations for next year and I am sure lulled some of our future opponents into at least some complacency. Starting a large number of "second & third string" underclassmen for much of the season is also building an experienced team.

I accept that more then, they don't care if they win, excuse. I promise those "second and third string" guys are trying their best to win those games. For what it is worth, no team in the SBC should overlook anyone, we are just to competitive.
11-10-2013 11:37 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
What I heard is we're at 70-72. We're redshirting 25 players this year and expecting a recruiting class of 30 players and are looking at the JUCO route for some linemen.
11-10-2013 04:48 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(11-10-2013 10:15 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Yup, I don't buy the no playoffs talk. Sorry, but if you are halfway competitive, you play to win that game, not play to win that game because you get into the playoffs.

I can totally buy it. I've said it before; Fran and Co did this to TXST in 2011. They were experimenting with what they had to gauge needs for the future. They played 2nd, 3rd string guys..... a lot. They pulled redshirts off of freshmen and then sat them the rest of the year. (then redshirted them last year) They were more interested in evaluating than getting W's. They stated it (don't make me look it up) and the players knew it. They (the players) did gave up on the coaching staff about 8 games in.

Slightly different than GaSouth or App only playing 2nd and 3rds, but pretty darn close.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 05:08 PM by CatMom.)
11-10-2013 05:07 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
We got the SB invite at the end of March so we had already signed players in Feb.

This coming signing period will be the first that we are recruiting players to play FBS ball. From what I heard we redshirted a good many this year also.

I understand we were at 72 full scholarships this year and that was accomplished by simply elevating some that were on partial scholarship (in FCS you can give partials) to full scholarship status.

We need a good recruiting haul this coming February.
11-10-2013 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.