Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC football
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
AAC football
Anybody noticed, but no one is going to AAC football games. Last night, Houston and USF, about half capacity at Houston. UConn has next to no one at their field, Temple is as bad as it's been in the past or very little improvement from Big East days. Cincinnati and Louisville are really the only two schools drawing crowds. What does everyone think??? UCF seems to be doing well. For all of Houston's win's I'm surprised by the crowd last night. Memphis and Cincinnati drew about 21K in a 59K stadium. THis is NOT good folks.

Other league observations include:

-most uniforms in the league look good including Cincinnati, Memphis (nice helmets modeled after the Bengals tiger helmet except in blue and silver) Louisville uniforms are good but hate the sissy white helmets, Houston very nice uniforms, UCF and USF have respectable uniforms.

-most of the announcers during league games seem preoccupied with other leagues almost like the AAC is not there. Alot of talk about the BIG 10 and SEC during AAC games.

-the league is getting some good expose. Mostly when games are on without other games such as Cincinnati/Memphis on Wednesday. Literally no competition.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:00 PM by Vewb1.)
11-01-2013 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: AAC football
(11-01-2013 02:55 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Anybody noticed, but no one is going to AAC football games. Last night, Houston and USF, about half capacity at Houston. UConn has next to no one at their field, Temple is as bad as it's been in the past or very little improvement from Big East days. Cincinnati and Louisville are really the only two schools drawing crowds. What does everyone think??? UCF seems to be doing well. For all of Houston's win's I'm surprised by the crowd last night. Memphis and Cincinnati drew about 21K in a 59K stadium. THis is NOT good folks.

The upside of weeknight games is better tv audiences. The downside is lower in game attendance. The tailagate is minimized and there are isseus with even being able to attend games during the week. Add in a the fact a game falls on Halloween night--and many parents with small children are not going to be able to make a 6pm kick. Not to mention rain and 5pm traffic.

As for Houston, our attendance will be hit or miss all year. We are nomadic right now with no true home field (we play home games at 3 different venues this year). The tailgating has suffered due to this. Not to mention we are a fanbase accustomed to home game 7pm Saturday night kickoffs---we have had one of those all year. You're simply asking for trouble with 11AM kickoffs here. It is what it is.

After this season, we will be back to normal--better than normal actually. We will see a jump in season ticket sales due to the new on campus stadium and this years successful season. Until then, our attendance will be hit an miss. My advise--for best attendance results is to make the remaining Houston home games as 7pm Saturday night starts.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:06 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-01-2013 03:04 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
(11-01-2013 02:55 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Anybody noticed, but no one is going to AAC football games. Last night, Houston and USF, about half capacity at Houston. UConn has next to no one at their field, Temple is as bad as it's been in the past or very little improvement from Big East days. Cincinnati and Louisville are really the only two schools drawing crowds. What does everyone think??? UCF seems to be doing well. For all of Houston's win's I'm surprised by the crowd last night. Memphis and Cincinnati drew about 21K in a 59K stadium. THis is NOT good folks.

-most uniforms in the league look good including Cincinnati, Memphis (nice helmets modeled after the Bengals tiger helmet except in blue and silver) Louisville uniforms are good but hate the sissy white helmets, Houston very nice uniforms, UCF and USF have respectable uniforms.

-most of the announcers during league games seem preoccupied with other leagues almost like the AAC is not there. Alot of talk about the BIG 10 and SEC during AAC games.

-the league is getting some good expose. Mostly when games are on without other games such as Cincinnati/Memphis on Wednesday. Literally no competition.

What are you talking about? UConn has averaged over 37k. Our games are at least 80% capacity, generally more. We'll see how it goes from now til the end of the season, but UConn is doing fine attendence wise. It's the rest of the league that averages in the teens.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:07 PM by HartfordHusky.)
11-01-2013 03:06 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(11-01-2013 02:55 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Anybody noticed, but no one is going to AAC football games. Last night, Houston and USF, about half capacity at Houston. UConn has next to no one at their field, Temple is as bad as it's been in the past or very little improvement from Big East days. Cincinnati and Louisville are really the only two schools drawing crowds.

The Bearcats are 6th in AAC attendance. While I know UC has a low attendance ceiling, you aren't drawing at full capacity so that argument doesn't hold up.

I'm not sure I'd be flinging stones.
11-01-2013 03:09 PM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

(11-01-2013 03:06 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  

What are you talking about? UConn has averaged over 37k. Our games are at least 80% capacity, generally more. We'll see how it goes from now til the end of the season, but UConn is doing fine attendence wise. It's the rest of the league that averages in the teens.

By the way, I much prefer the old UConn helmet to the new one. Don't like it at all.
11-01-2013 03:11 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Its ok. We're on our way to help.
11-01-2013 03:21 PM
Advertisement

Vewb1 Offline
Banned

(11-01-2013 03:09 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 02:55 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Anybody noticed, but no one is going to AAC football games. Last night, Houston and USF, about half capacity at Houston. UConn has next to no one at their field, Temple is as bad as it's been in the past or very little improvement from Big East days. Cincinnati and Louisville are really the only two schools drawing crowds.

The Bearcats are 6th in AAC attendance. While I know UC has a low attendance ceiling, you aren't drawing at full capacity so that argument doesn't hold up.

Not making an argument, just an observation as noted above. The stadium has been nearly full each and every time I have been there. Record crowd against Purdue, 30K against NWestern State, 28K in the rain against UConn, 33K against Templer. Capacity is 35K right now. Not throwing stones, just a general observation. Most of the stadiums are not overflowing with fans. Most are empty including Temple and Memphis.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:26 PM by Vewb1.)
11-01-2013 03:25 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-01-2013 03:25 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  

Not making an argument, just an observation as noted above. The stadium has been nearly full each and every time I have been there. Record crowd against Purdue, 30K against NWestern State, 28K in the rain against UConn, 33K against Templer. Capacity is 35K right now. Not throwing stones, just a general observation. Most of the stadiums are not overflowing with fans. Most are empty including Temple and Memphis.

Geez, dude, we have a 60K seat stadium. We put 44K in it for the first game. How many home games has UC had 44K for? Your generalizations are way off base.

We've had 22.5K to 44k for every game. We're 1-6, just played you on a Wednesday with rain coming in, on the Grizzlies opening home game, with the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.
11-01-2013 03:33 PM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
(11-01-2013 03:25 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  

Please comeback next year and have this argument with me.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:49 PM by AirRaid.)
11-01-2013 03:48 PM
SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
You're way off with Temple. Temple's attendance isn't good but it is waaay better than it would've been 15 years ago with a 1-7 team.

Here are pictures from the last home game against Army, announced attendance 25,533. Remember the team was 0-5 at the time and these are pictures of the EMPTY sides of the stadium. The side I took these photos from is where most people sit

[Image: 200uxr4.jpg]

[Image: 2qibepj.jpg]

Actual was probably 18k-20k. In the Big East days that would've been 7k or around there
11-01-2013 04:15 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
What is with all the Cincy hate being tossed at the rest of the conference lately and especially at UCONN?

Houston doesn't have a home stadium this season, their games are being played at a variety of venues... not exactly a scenario that produces good crowds. Add to that when they play at Reliant, it's a 71,000+ seat stadium, so even drawing 30-35,000, which will look great in their new 40,000 seat stadium, looks horrible in Reliant. Temple plays in a 68,000+ seat stadium that is just way too large, even for good crowds. Your complaints against UCONN I haven't figured out, as their games have looked great on TV, averaging over 37K in a 40,000 seat stadium for one of the few winless teams in the country. Quit throwing stones, your stadium isn't full either.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 04:56 PM by IceJus10.)
11-01-2013 04:55 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC

This issue has already been addressed ... UConn is averaging 90%+ capacity this year, so the OP is just foolish.

But can anyone explain to me why there are so many attacks against UConn on these boards? Go ahead and attack the FB team (we suck), but these boards attack UConn's fans, stadium, etc. and none of the allegations are based in fact. I just don't get it.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 08:02 PM by UConn-SMU.)
11-01-2013 08:01 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(11-01-2013 04:55 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  What is with all the Cincy hate being tossed at the rest of the conference lately and especially at UCONN?

Please don't lump vewb1 with the rest of us. Most of us cringe when we see he has started a thread.
11-01-2013 08:12 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
(11-01-2013 03:21 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Its ok. We're on our way to help.

We're all anxiously awaiting your arrival so we can see 5 new attendance threads every day. 04-cheers
11-01-2013 08:16 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(11-01-2013 08:16 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 03:21 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Its ok. We're on our way to help.

We're all anxiously awaiting your arrival so we can see 5 new attendance threads every day. 04-cheers

03-lmfao

Nice one knight!!
Flossy out...
11-01-2013 10:02 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

[Image: bugs-bunny-toilet-gif.gif]
11-01-2013 10:51 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Attendance is an issue across college football. I still don't see why many are surprised that a midweek AAC game is drawing in the 20s when in reality the average attendance in our league is around 30k

Here is another recent article summarizing attendance issues in another league and how the numbers announced differ from school to school showing how pointless attendance threads really are.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/at...w-look-acc
11-02-2013 10:10 AM
den2010 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
Our attendance will increase next year when we stop playing musical stadiums and play on campus again. I have confirmations from a number of people that season tickets will be purchased for the new stadium.
11-02-2013 06:23 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
You're going to be a big ECU fan, when they join the league.

Attendance has never been stellar from the ex-CUSA members. I highly doubt any fan base has seen any real attendance boast, despite playing a better conference schedule.
11-02-2013 06:29 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
I was at the Thursday night game... It started at six o'clock, which is a bit of an inconvenience on a weeknight. The 'casual fan' is going to be a bit reluctant to sail into the middle of Houston rush hour, which frankly is a nightmare. The day long 'biblical' flooding didn't help either. As some said above, it's a consequence of our weekday games... Houston pretty much sold out the last couple of years, or close to it... so busting UH on attendance in a journeyman season in a new conference is ridiculous.
11-02-2013 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.