Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
ESPN Insiders College Basketball Projections for 2013-2014
Here is #1 and the AAC Schools:

1. Kentucky Wildcats
Conf rank: 1st in SEC | POFF: 120.4 | PDEF: 90.0
Best case: 1st | Worst case: 13th
If everyone in Kentucky's rotation plays up to their potential, Kentucky has a chance to have the best offense in the modern era of tempo-free stats. The North Carolina Tar Heels offenses scored 126.6 and 126.0 points per 100 possessions in 2005 and 2008, respectively. In 10 percent of the simulations, Kentucky eclipses that 126.6 mark. But the Wildcats do have some downside risk. If Aaron and Andrew Harrison struggle or are injured, the lack of options in the backcourt could prevent Kentucky from reaching its goals.

2. Louisville Cardinals
Conf Rank: 1st in AAC | POFF: 116.3 | PDEF: 86.9
Best case: 1st | Worst case: 12th
With Russ Smith, Luke Hancock, Wayne Blackshear and Montrezl Harrell returning from last season's national championship squad, two strong point-guard recruits and a brilliant defensive coach in Rick Pitino, there is very little downside for Louisville's roster. But Chane Behanan's suspension to start the season adds some risk in the frontcourt and prevents Louisville from earning the top spot in these projections.

15. Memphis Tigers
Conf Rank: 2nd in AAC | POFF: 113.6 | PDEF: 90.1
Best case: 6th | Worst case: 26th
Memphis has unbelievable depth. With eight former elite recruits on the roster, plus Missouri transfer Michael Dixon, George Washington transfer David Pellom and Chris Crawford, Memphis looks like an all-star team on paper. But in addition to coach Josh Pastner's well-documented struggles against the top 25, we have plenty of data on Joe Jackson and Crawford at this point. They are good, but not super-elite, players and Memphis does not quite have the same upside as the other elite teams.

25. Connecticut Huskies
Conf Rank: 3rd in AAC | POFF: 113.0 | PDEF: 92.7
Best case: 12th | Worst case: 42nd
UConn finished with the 52nd-best margin-of-victory last season, and with almost everyone back, including all-conference guards Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier, the Huskies are going to be better this season. How high they rise will depend on how much the frontcourt develops.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-...basketball
10-28-2013 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Geotag Offline
Banned

I Root For: Defense
RE: ESPN Insiders College Basketball Projections for 2013-2014
What upside is this they speak of?
10-28-2013 10:39 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2013 10:39 AM)Geotag Wrote:  What upside is this they speak of?

My guess is they feel while Memphis is talented they don't have the overall talent level of a Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Kansas or Florida.
10-28-2013 01:41 PM
Geotag Offline
Banned

(10-28-2013 01:41 PM)Maize Wrote:  

My guess is they feel while Memphis is talented they don't have the overall talent level of a Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Kansas or Florida.
There can only be one!
10-28-2013 01:45 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

It appears ESPN is not sold on Jackson and Crawford and also as we have questions the coaching ability of Pastner
10-28-2013 01:55 PM
Geotag Offline
Banned

(10-28-2013 01:55 PM)Maize Wrote:  It appears ESPN is not sold on Jackson and Crawford and also as we have questions the coaching ability of Pastner

Ok that's cool, we really don't care what folks think about our players or coach because this year is going to special.
10-28-2013 02:00 PM
Advertisement

Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army
(10-28-2013 01:41 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Wrong, Memphis on Paper is a top 4 team. (Notice the All Star team comment) Our overall talent level and depth is only rivaled by maybe 2-3 teams. Our biggest knock is our coach. This season with more chances I say he changes that perception.

What I do not get about the upside comment, is that we have a total of 8 new players that will actually be playing this season. (Pookie red shirting). This comment makes me think that these guys expect our #3 recruiting class to do very little overall. That's pretty frustrating. If anything we have the 3rd most upside of the Elite teams. Kentucky and Kansas have question marks but plenty of upside. Memphis does't have as many question marks, however the upside has the potential to be incredibly high if the new guys to include Dixon and Pellom come in and preform.

We'll see how it goes.

With Louisville, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, UConn and possibly Houston and SMU this conference is going to set the BBall world on fire. I cannot wait. I am so glad we're all together this season.
10-28-2013 04:14 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

If it's not a talent issue then it's a Pastner issue that they have with Memphis-(the struggles with Top 25 team comments).

It also appears to me the only question they have about the Champions is the Chane Behanan suspension...other than that hardly any holes...04-cheers
10-28-2013 05:52 PM
Geotag Offline
Banned

(10-28-2013 05:52 PM)Maize Wrote:  If it's not a talent issue then it's a Pastner issue that they have with Memphis-(the struggles with Top 25 team comments).

It also appears to me the only question they have about the Champions is the Chane Behanan suspension...other than that hardly any holes...04-cheers

Chris Jones
10-28-2013 06:50 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2013 06:50 PM)Geotag Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 05:52 PM)Maize Wrote:  If it's not a talent issue then it's a Pastner issue that they have with Memphis-(the struggles with Top 25 team comments).

Chris Jones

Well Rick is doing his show now and Jones has been a non issue...Paul Rogers the Play by Play person who been in practice has been very impressed with his play and temperament as well...tifwiw
10-28-2013 06:53 PM
Geotag Offline
Banned

(10-28-2013 06:53 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 06:50 PM)Geotag Wrote:  

Chris Jones

Well Rick is doing his show now and Jones has been a non issue...Paul Rogers the Play by Play person who been in practice has been very impressed with his play and temperament as well...tifwiw

We will see how he takes it when he comes to memphis and sees Joe. It can be a positive or negative with him
10-28-2013 08:02 PM
Advertisement

transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
The biggest reason for Pastner's struggles vs the top 25? Two home games vs top 25 teams in three years. That does make a difference.
10-28-2013 08:40 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2013 08:40 PM)transitt Wrote:  The biggest reason for Pastner's struggles vs the top 25? Two home games vs top 25 teams in three years. That does make a difference.

Look at the schools ahead of a Memphis in the Top 5....Calipari, Pitino, Self, Izzo and Donavan have National Titles and have done it in The Show...they have proven to get the best out of their talent...the jury is still way out on Pastner....
10-28-2013 11:23 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Anyone have the rest of the projections?
10-29-2013 01:44 AM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
(10-28-2013 11:23 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 08:40 PM)transitt Wrote:  The biggest reason for Pastner's struggles vs the top 25? Two home games vs top 25 teams in three years. That does make a difference.

Look at the schools ahead of a Memphis in the Top 5....Calipari, Pitino, Self, Izzo and Donavan have National Titles and have done it in The Show...they have proven to get the best out of their talent...the jury is still way out on Pastner....

Haters gun hate!
10-29-2013 02:16 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I like Pastner. I believe he is as talented as any young coach. I actually would like to see him replace Pitino when he retires. I know its Richard's job to lose know. If for some reason Richard doesn't want to come home, I hope Louisville targets Josh.

He just needs more game experience. No knock on CUSA but until this season he really has never had the opportunity to face top shelf talent, game in game out, like he will in this league.

Not much of a basketball fan anymore but I even I am looking forward to it. I don't believe this league will be as good as The Big East was but it will be damn close.
CJ
10-29-2013 03:35 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-29-2013 03:35 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I like Pastner. I believe he is as talented as any young coach. I actually would like to see him replace Pitino when he retires. I know its Richard's job to lose know. If for some reason Richard doesn't want to come home, I hope Louisville targets Josh.

He just needs more game experience. No knock on CUSA but until this season he really has never had the opportunity to face top shelf talent, game in game out, like he will in this league.

Not much of a basketball fan anymore but I even I am looking forward to it. I don't believe this league will be as good as The Big East was but it will be damn close.
CJ

Good post, CJ. I think that's fair. I disagree about the going to Louisville part, though. Never say never, but IMO, that ain't happening. I am not guessing, b/c he and I have actually discussed that subject.

He has told me privately, and has also said publicly, that his plan is to be Memphis' Boeheim. Now you never know how these things actually go, but I do believe that is his intent.

He is cut from a much different cloth than Calipari. And he is unbelievably grateful for getting his first chance at Memphis, at such an early age.

Where I think we have a bigger chance of losing Pastner one day is to the NBA. At age 19, he actually applied for the head coaching job of the Lakers. 03-lmfao THAT is his real dream job. However, his strength at the moment is recruiting, and that translates much better on the college level.

As for Pastner's coaching ability, I understand the outside criticism. Heck, a vocal minority of Tiger fans have doubts, too. There is absolutely no doubt that he is learning on the job. It is also clear that he has improved each year.

Four seasons in, he's done pretty well. I think Coach K had a losing record at that point. Yeah, yeah, we played in a relatively weak CUSA, but if running the table is so easy, why hasn't anybody in the 20+ lower ranked conferences ever done it?

One thing is obvious. He is a top level recruiter, and always will be, unless he just falls on his face as a coach. Right now, he's a lot closer to being a star than he is to being a flop.

As posted previously, he hasn't had a lot of chances to beat ranked teams yet, only 2 or 3 at the beginning of each season, while we were still rebuilding a depleted roster from Calipari's exit. Only two were home games total in his tenure, and I think we were not a favorite in any of those games so far. And in each season, we clearly got better as the season progressed, regardless of opponent. Against Michigan State last March, we were just way overmatched up front.

This year, he will get 7 chances for wins over ranked teams (finally had one last year), and probably 8, if Memphis and OSU reach the finals of the Old Spice Classic. Still won't be favorites in but one or two, but we have a good chance in every game. We finally have enough senior leadership not to get rattled, and at least decent depth up front, which has always been a problem until now.

I think one issue against the perception of Pastner as a coach is that he has recruited at a high level, but hasn't beaten any high level teams yet. I think it's for the above mentioned reasons, plus, I have a gut feeling that his first highly touted class in 2010 turned out not to be as good as people first thought. They essentially won a national AAU championship together, and had high hopes to duplicate that in college, perhaps. Almost all of them thought they were one and dones, or two and dones, at worst.

Will Barton was really good, but not as great as advertised, especially in a team setting. Joe Jackson struggled with his own high expectations, and almost transferred out. Tarik Black was good, but never great, and apparently never had his heart in playing at home, and had attitude problems the whole time. Adonis Thomas came in the next year, and was mostly a bust, partly due to injury. Chris Crawford wasn't highly ranked, and has been inconsistent, although streaky hot at times. Antonio Barton was a 3 star, and played great in spots, but never cracked the starting lineup much.

Only Jackson and Crawford remain. The other main players are Geron Johnson, a juco with great D and streaky on offense, and Mike Dixon, the former sixth man at Missouri, the year they won 30+ games.

Our starting center is a 4 star sophomore who hit a wall last year, and our likely starting PF is a senior grad transfer from GW, who sat out a year.

So, no real superstars, by any stretch, but an all senior starting lineup, and the #3 recruiting class in the country backing them up, and giving us unusual depth. We now have the horses to press more like Louisville, so it should be an interesting season.

I do agree this is a watershed year for Pastner's perception as a coach. We should win a few of those big games, finish at least in the top 2 or 3 in the AAC regular season, and perhaps win the AAC tourney in Memphis.

As for the NCAAs, I think our ceiling is the F4, and anything less than the Sweet 16 would be a huge disappointment.

We'll see. Should be a fun year for all of the AAC.

Didn't intend so, but there is your preseason preview of the Memphis Tigers. Other Tiger fans feel free to add or correct. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2013 04:41 AM by TripleA.)
10-29-2013 04:36 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

CJ...You know you're in the minority on the Pastner issue for Pitino replacement in probably 2 to 3 years when he retires.

But you are correct...if Richard does what I think he is going to do at Minnesota I can easily see him replacing his father...but there are other coaches I would contact before calling Richard Pitino or Pastner like the obvious Billy Donavan-(you have to at least give him the opportunity to turn it down), Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2013 05:40 AM by Maize.)
10-29-2013 05:30 AM
Geotag Offline
Banned

(10-29-2013 05:30 AM)Maize Wrote:  CJ...You know you're in the minority on the Pastner issue for Pitino replacement in probably 2 to 3 years when he retires.

But you are correct...if Richard does what I think he is going to do at Minnesota I can easily see him replacing his father...but there are other coaches I would contact before calling Richard Pitino or Pastner like the obvious Billy Donavan-(you have to at least give him the opportunity to turn it down), Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall.

You wonder why Memphis fans attack you
10-29-2013 07:22 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

Because I think Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart and Billy Donavan are better people to go after when Pitino retires then Pastner...01-wingedeagle
10-29-2013 08:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.