Marquette 17
Creighton 28
Georgetown 31
Villanova t37

Others:
VCU 15
Wichita St 16
Saint Louis 36

looks like each conference gets 1 voter. McDermott is the voter for the Big East. For AAC- it's Dickey from Houston. For A10- it's Shaka.

ACC has 5 teams in top 25.
Big Ten has 5 teams in top 25.
10-17-2013 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
RE: Coaches Poll is out
I guess I was wrong about SLU.

Thought we were better than that.
10-17-2013 01:58 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
well the beauty is you can prove it on the floor.
10-17-2013 02:01 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

True stever. I've been pushing hard for SLU, and now I have nothing to go on.

It is possible for the two of us to agree.
10-17-2013 02:05 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Preseason polls in either BBall or FB aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I don't think the top 25 should be released until after the new year.
10-17-2013 03:47 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I think for us this year, it does nothing but help us..

I mean, Georgetown gets a shot at #18 Oregon 1st game. We win, that does nothing but help us.
10-17-2013 03:56 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-17-2013 03:56 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think for us this year, it does nothing but help us..

I mean, Georgetown gets a shot at #18 Oregon 1st game. We win, that does nothing but help us.

Not to mention St. John's getting Wisconsin to start the season.
10-17-2013 03:57 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
I may have missed some,but at quick glance here are Big East opportunities vs OOC ranked teams:

Georgetown - Michigan State, Kansas, Oregon
Villanova - Syracuse
St. John's - Syracuse, Wiscconsin
Providence - Kentucky
Marquette - Ohio State, New Mexico, Wisconsin
DePaul - Wichita State
10-17-2013 08:26 PM
Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: VCU
(10-17-2013 03:47 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Preseason polls in either BBall or FB aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Tell that to the team's who are ranked. You don't think those polls fire up fans(/donor bases) and look great to recruits?

Worthless as far as the game/season is concerned, but very valuable in other ways.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 11:22 PM by Natty.)
10-17-2013 11:22 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(10-17-2013 01:53 PM)stever20 Wrote:  AAC:
Louisville 3
Memphis 13
UConn 19
Temple t37

Big East:
Marquette 17
Creighton 28
Georgetown 31
Villanova t37

Others:
VCU 15
Wichita St 16
Saint Louis 36

looks like each conference gets 1 voter. McDermott is the voter for the Big East. For AAC- it's Dickey from Houston. For A10- it's Shaka.

Seems to Me those Other 3 should have been invited from the Get Go. And Dayton.
10-18-2013 02:12 AM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2013 03:47 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Preseason polls in either BBall or FB aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

You're a smart guy, but this is ridiculous.

It's about respect on a national level. The fact that SLU was barely mentioned tells me that the coaches in this country think the Billikens will not be very good. That bothers me as a Billiken fan. This is an embarrassment to the program after finishing the year 16th in both polls to be irrelevant in the first one of the new year.

Like I told Stever, I have been vehemently pushing Saint Louis as a member of the Big East, but now I don't have as much of a case for the Bills as I had before this came out.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 06:09 AM by LouPower.)
10-18-2013 05:59 AM
Advertisement

SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
Interesting that La Salle has the most votes in the Big 5
10-18-2013 10:38 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-17-2013 11:22 PM)Natty Wrote:  

Tell that to the team's who are ranked. You don't think those polls fire up fans(/donor bases) and look great to recruits?

Worthless as far as the game/season is concerned, but very valuable in other ways.

So your fan base wasn't fired up all those seasons before you got a little # next to your name?

The numbers mean nothing and all they do is drive interest in OOC games for the networks. Recruits will not change their minds if rankings come out 3 months later. If you need a number that doesn't actually reflect your proper place in college basketball then you need to become a fan of the SEC or Pac-12 BBall conferences.

Rankings that are given without any games being played are worthless.
10-18-2013 12:16 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-18-2013 05:59 AM)LouPower Wrote:  

It's about respect on a national level. The fact that SLU was barely mentioned tells me that the coaches in this country think the Billikens will not be very good. That bothers me as a Billiken fan. This is an embarrassment to the program after finishing the year 16th in both polls to be irrelevant in the first one of the new year.

Like I told Stever, I have been vehemently pushing Saint Louis as a member of the Big East, but now I don't have as much of a case for the Bills as I had before this came out.

Oh come on, it's how coaches and writers THINK the season will play out and they are almost always WRONG! The Big East with only one team ranked is a joke.

Pac-12 3 teams ranked...really?
ACC with 5? Get real. UVA? Notre Dame?
AAC with 2?

Yet we in the Big East only have 1? Wichita gets love but not Creighton who basically has the same team that whooped the Shockers last year?
10-18-2013 12:30 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(10-18-2013 02:12 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 01:53 PM)stever20 Wrote:  AAC:
Louisville 3
Memphis 13
UConn 19
Temple t37

Big East:
Marquette 17
Creighton 28
Georgetown 31
Villanova t37

Others:
VCU 15
Wichita St 16
Saint Louis 36

Seems to Me those Other 3 should have been invited from the Get Go. And Dayton.

If they had added those 4, then they should also have moved the tournament to Chicago because it would have clearly become a Midwest conference.
10-18-2013 12:33 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-18-2013 12:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Oh come on, it's how coaches and writers THINK the season will play out and they are almost always WRONG! The Big East with only one team ranked is a joke.

AAC with 2?

Yet we in the Big East only have 1? Wichita gets love but not Creighton who basically has the same team that whooped the Shockers last year?

AAC with 3 is completely reasonable. Louisville, Memphis, and UConn are a darn good top 3.

Big East is in a very interesting position. A lot of the top schools were hit real hard by graduation/leaving early for the NBA. The Big East's strength this year isn't at the top it's the depth. Depth doesn't always translate to the top 25. Big East has a ton of teams that are in that 26-50 range.

Wichita gets more love than Creighton because of what they did in the tourney. You might not like it, but the tourney matters. You ask folks who had the better season, Creighton or Wichita and watch 90% say that Wichita did. That's just where basketball is today. Also, Creighton has the questions about how they can handle the step up in play. It's a valid question.
10-18-2013 12:46 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-18-2013 12:46 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-18-2013 12:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

AAC with 2?

AAC with 3 is completely reasonable. Louisville, Memphis, and UConn are a darn good top 3.

Big East is in a very interesting position. A lot of the top schools were hit real hard by graduation/leaving early for the NBA. The Big East's strength this year isn't at the top it's the depth. Depth doesn't always translate to the top 25. Big East has a ton of teams that are in that 26-50 range.

Wichita gets more love than Creighton because of what they did in the tourney. You might not like it, but the tourney matters. You ask folks who had the better season, Creighton or Wichita and watch 90% say that Wichita did. That's just where basketball is today. Also, Creighton has the questions about how they can handle the step up in play. It's a valid question.

Oh please, this isn't some fan or writers poll. This is the coaches poll, and the fact that the coaches don't realize that Creighton who won the MWC and is returning the same team who whooped the Shockers just goes to show that coaches shouldn't have a poll. But like I said, i'm not concerned since these polls are ALWAYS wrong. So for them to say we only have one ranked team means we will in fact have 3-4 ranked by the end of the year.
10-18-2013 01:20 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

What did Creighton do in the tourney? What did Wichita do?

It's easy to see why Wichita would be ranked ahead of Creighton with the tourney along with the concerns of the tougher competition in the Big East for Creighton. You act like the NCAA tourney doesn't mean anything, which is a complete joke. Wichita DID make the final 4. Creighton lost 1st weekend. HUGE difference there.
10-18-2013 01:28 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Oh, and I wouldn't say that Creighton whooped the Shockers. losing a game and then winning by 3 points hardly is whooping.
10-18-2013 01:39 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2013 01:39 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Oh, and I wouldn't say that Creighton whooped the Shockers. losing a game and then winning by 3 points hardly is whooping.

SLU blew out VCU and won a close tournament game (A-10)...so is that a whooping too?
10-18-2013 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.