Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Have to say, I am enjoying this ........
Bookmark and Share
LouisianaHawkFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM, Tulane
Have to say, I am enjoying this ........
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 01:00 PM by LouisianaHawkFan.)
09-16-2013 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
RE: Have to say, I am enjoying this ........
(09-16-2013 01:00 PM)LouisianaHawkFan Wrote:  http://www.voodoofive.com/2013/9/13/4725...ling-money

thanks for the link. i get the idea that guy doesn't care much for skip holtz.
09-16-2013 01:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
The Holtz hire at Tech and FIU's old coach hire are mind boggling to me.
09-16-2013 01:57 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
FIU is getting what they deserved after screwing that up...Everyone knew they would be bad, but they are beyond bad...I would say even WKU could beat FIU....
09-16-2013 02:00 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
This isn't me stabbing Tech for entertainment nor taking some sort of Lou hate out on Skip. I was SHOCKED when Tech hired Skip.

THE RESUME
Head coach at FCS UConn. Pretty mediocre results but for one really good season. UConn starts rumbling about going FBS. Skip chooses to leave UConn to be OC for his dad at South Carolina.

His last season with South Carolina he gets demoted from OC. His dad retires and Skip the guy who had been heir apparent at South Carolina becomes one of the guys told he is unlikey to retain his position under Spurrier. Before he gets canned he gets hired at ECU.

At ECU, according to ESPN and others, he did a wonderful job. What he did was lose 6, 6, 5, 5, and 5 while there. But he went 3-4 against the ACC schools in North Carolina and posted some nice records but not beat down the door to hire the guy records unless your last name is a great football name.

Goes to South Florida and like Leavitt the two prior years wins 8 games his first year. Sitting in a great recruiting area with a growing fan base, all is good. Then they win 8... over the next two years combined and based on the results so far, left the shelves empty of talent.

Not saying the guy is bum or anything but his last name took him further than his resume did.
09-16-2013 02:56 PM
Advertisement

trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
Re: RE: Have to say, I am enjoying this ........
(09-16-2013 02:00 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  FIU is getting what they deserved after screwing that up...Everyone knew they would be bad, but they are beyond bad...I would say even WKU could beat FIU....

I found that to be quite jovial, ol' chap...

sent from trojanbruthazTBns using Tapatalk 4
09-16-2013 02:57 PM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
(09-16-2013 02:56 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  This isn't me stabbing Tech for entertainment nor taking some sort of Lou hate out on Skip. I was SHOCKED when Tech hired Skip.

THE RESUME
Head coach at FCS UConn. Pretty mediocre results but for one really good season. UConn starts rumbling about going FBS. Skip chooses to leave UConn to be OC for his dad at South Carolina.

His last season with South Carolina he gets demoted from OC. His dad retires and Skip the guy who had been heir apparent at South Carolina becomes one of the guys told he is unlikey to retain his position under Spurrier. Before he gets canned he gets hired at ECU.

At ECU, according to ESPN and others, he did a wonderful job. What he did was lose 6, 6, 5, 5, and 5 while there. But he went 3-4 against the ACC schools in North Carolina and posted some nice records but not beat down the door to hire the guy records unless your last name is a great football name.

Goes to South Florida and like Leavitt the two prior years wins 8 games his first year. Sitting in a great recruiting area with a growing fan base, all is good. Then they win 8... over the next two years combined and based on the results so far, left the shelves empty of talent.

Not saying the guy is bum or anything but his last name took him further than his resume did.

Agree 100%

His great year at UCONN in 1998 was more the result of a stellar QB (Shane Stafford). They were very good that season, and actually beat UMASS twice in the regular season due to Boston U. dropping football.

UMASS went on to win the FCS title that year over Georgia Southern, who knocked UCONN out of the I-AA playoffs. He wasn't really a good coach there either. IMO, he just has a knack to move along before the results catch up to his recruiting.
09-16-2013 03:25 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
East Carolina did win a couple of C-USA Championships under Holtz.
Went bowling every year I believe. Beat Boise State in one bowl.
Even though they might not admit it now most ECU fans seemed upset when
Holtz left saying he wanted to coach in Florida near relatives.
Of course he also lost to Kentucky in one bowl game, and Arkansas also I believe.
09-16-2013 04:15 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(09-16-2013 02:00 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  FIU is getting what they deserved after screwing that up...Everyone knew they would be bad, but they are beyond bad...I would say even WKU could beat FIU....

Always thought there was more to the FIU coach's firing than what was announced. Wasn't it the year before that several schools wanted Cristobal (sp?) as coach, including Rutgers who is going to the Big 10 I believe.
09-16-2013 04:27 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Tech is reaping the rewards from choosing to turn down the Indy bowl invite last year. They now must face the fact that ULM is a higher ranked program than they are. I am sure Tech fans are thrilled by that.
09-16-2013 06:21 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Reference to both Skip Holtz and FIU in this one
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...am-alabama
09-16-2013 06:26 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Your 2nd team could probably beat them.
09-16-2013 07:43 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(09-16-2013 06:26 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Reference to both Skip Holtz and FIU in this one

The funny thing is, they were hammering him for something really isn't bad. Down nine, if you kick, you have to go for it later to tie. If you go for it now, you could kick for the tie later, or try to win it. It's not like he was going for two down ten.
09-16-2013 08:33 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

Actually if down by 10 I would go for two to make it eight, then one TD with two point and you are tied.
09-16-2013 10:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(09-16-2013 10:58 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Actually if down by 10 I would go for two to make it eight, then one TD with two point and you are tied.

Every coach would do that. Going for two in that situation would give you a chance to make a 1 score game when a simple extra point would not.

Down 9 however, it is incredibly stupid to go for two first because if you fail, you are down 2 scores and the game is virtually over. Steve Roberts did this at ASU once in his next to last game as coach, and we had fans who actually defended him doing that by bringing out the dreaded 2 point chart.
09-16-2013 11:24 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(09-16-2013 08:33 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 06:26 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Reference to both Skip Holtz and FIU in this one

The funny thing is, they were hammering him for something really isn't bad. Down nine, if you kick, you have to go for it later to tie. If you go for it now, you could kick for the tie later, or try to win it. It's not like he was going for two down ten.

Yes, but if you fail, with three minutes left the game is virtually over. An 8 point game in terms of team morale is so incredibly different from a 9 point game.
09-16-2013 11:25 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Only good thing about doing it early in a 9 point game would be to know where you stand earlier.
09-16-2013 11:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.