Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Clemson claims 2012 Atlantic Division Champions in Stadium
Wow, this is going to be a fun league. LOL
08-22-2013 05:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Ironic that the Seminoles are getting all hot and bothered over this.

In their 2013 baseball media guide FSU claimed they were going for their 7th straight Atlantic Division title. However, in 2010 Clemson swept FSU and was the #2 seed in the ACC Tournament.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-basebl...13aaa.html
08-22-2013 07:21 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
There really should be a rule whereby the only teams who can claim a divisional championship are those who play in the conference title game. Otherwise, it demeans it too much, IMHO.
08-22-2013 07:27 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
The last two years 37.5% of the Big East won the league
08-22-2013 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DXcuse Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-22-2013 07:27 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  There really should be a rule whereby the only teams who can claim a divisional championship are those who play in the conference title game. Otherwise, it demeans it too much, IMHO.
Agreed. Not worth having 4 "champions" in one year like the Big East did last season. Then again what more fitting way for the conference to go out?
08-22-2013 10:50 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(08-22-2013 07:21 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Ironic that the Seminoles are getting all hot and bothered over this.

In their 2013 baseball media guide FSU claimed they were going for their 7th straight Atlantic Division title. However, in 2010 Clemson swept FSU and was the #2 seed in the ACC Tournament.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-basebl...13aaa.html

Hilarious that you say hot and bothered. Nearly all of us just find it funny.

Honestly, if you guys didn't have 268 blank division title slots on that thing it'd be much less ridiculous. Also, putting the asterisk makes you look like tards.
08-22-2013 11:12 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
if this board is any indication, the FSU/Clemson game should get a blast this year!
05-stirthepot
08-23-2013 04:38 AM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

(08-22-2013 08:08 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The last two years 37.5% of the Big East won the league

I think it's misleading to say four teams tied for first place in the Big East last year. If you take the four teams and create a mini conference out of them here are their records against each other:

Louisville 2-1
Rutgers 2-1
Cincinnati 1-2
Syracuse 1-2

In this case it can be argued Louisville and Rutgers were the co champs while Cincinnati and Syracuse tied for third place.
08-23-2013 11:00 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

That's the point though. They all claimed the title. same as the year before. Tie breakers are for seeding and bowls: don't affect who gets to claim the title. same as this situation.
08-23-2013 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Besides, Clemson isn't "claiming" anything. Representatives from the ACC presented us with an Atlantic Division trophy in the locker room following the NC State game last season.
08-23-2013 03:07 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I'm not blaming Clemson or anyone else for how things have played out. The rules are what they are right now and it's good for everyone's job security, fund-raising efforts, media visibility, etc., to have as many teams as possible look like they are successful. I get that. I just think it's hogwash, that's all. I also think it serves to cheapen the feat.

As far as I'm concerned, in any given year, there can only one divisional champion of the Atlantic Division and but one divisional champion of the Coastal Division. That's it, that's the list. It is not remotely complicated or controversial. The teams that can rightfully lay claim that achievement are the two teams who play in the ACC's Conference Championship Game. Then whomever wins that game, is the ONLY team that can call itself ACC Champion for that year.

I have no idea why anyone would take issue with that position? It's common sense, really.
08-23-2013 04:46 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Since, UNC and Miami were ineligible and GT represented in the Championship game. Do all 3 of them get a divisional championship trophy?
08-23-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(08-23-2013 11:00 AM)gocards#1 Wrote:  
(08-22-2013 08:08 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The last two years 37.5% of the Big East won the league

I think it's misleading to say four teams tied for first place in the Big East last year. If you take the four teams and create a mini conference out of them here are their records against each other:

Louisville 2-1
Rutgers 2-1
Cincinnati 1-2
Syracuse 1-2

In this case it can be argued Louisville and Rutgers were the co champs while Cincinnati and Syracuse tied for third place.

And if you only count teams who were able to beat Missou last year, Syracuse would have won the conference outright. You can cherry pick data to say almost anything. The BIG EAST had a set way of determining who won it, and applying that formula, there were 4 champions. Since UL was the highest rated of the four, the Cards represented the conference in the BCS game. There is no other way of slicing it without misrepresenting what happened.
08-23-2013 06:33 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(08-23-2013 04:46 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I'm not blaming Clemson or anyone else for how things have played out. The rules are what they are right now and it's good for everyone's job security, fund-raising efforts, media visibility, etc., to have as many teams as possible look like they are successful. I get that. I just think it's hogwash, that's all. I also think it serves to cheapen the feat.

As far as I'm concerned, in any given year, there can only one divisional champion of the Atlantic Division and but one divisional champion of the Coastal Division. That's it, that's the list. It is not remotely complicated or controversial. The teams that can rightfully lay claim that achievement are the two teams who play in the ACC's Conference Championship Game. Then whomever wins that game, is the ONLY team that can call itself ACC Champion for that year.

I have no idea why anyone would take issue with that position? It's common sense, really.

+1
08-23-2013 06:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.