Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cuse AD Dr. Gross Talks ACC
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Cuse AD Dr. Gross Talks ACC
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/david-gle...-gross.php

Talks about Duke/Cuse and it will be a record whether by a few hundred or 15k.
Should know more soon...after several meetings.

Gross stated ACC is the greatest Hoops Conference going. Old ACC was great Hoops conference but the championship lately hate no brand...he obviously favors MSG...compared Sat Night Championship as a Ali-Frazier Fight. Thinks Sat Night>Sunday Afternoon. Should look at ACC permanently branding to NYC.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 07:59 PM by TexanMark.)
08-13-2013 07:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

RE: Cuse AD Dr. Gross Talks ACC
He's completely right about the conference tournament. Specifically on Saturday night vs. Sunday afternoon.
08-13-2013 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HooBetya Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVa
(08-13-2013 08:04 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  He's completely right about the conference tournament. Specifically on Saturday night vs. Sunday afternoon.

I'm with you, OC. I think the ACC has to get this done. There was a lot of talk from Swofford and others this summer about thinking big. Moving the ACC Tournament to Saturday night at MSG should be the centerpiece of any strategy they come up with.

By the way, welcome to the ACC -- nice colors!
08-13-2013 08:26 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
I think Syracuse should have stayed in the Big East. It'd be easier than constantly trying to turn the ACC into the Big East's clone.
08-13-2013 08:29 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-13-2013 08:29 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  I think Syracuse should have stayed in the Big East. It'd be easier than constantly trying to turn the ACC into the Big East's clone.

You take the best of both...let's be realistic the new ACC is a blend of two conferences.
08-13-2013 08:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4x4hokies Offline
All American

(08-13-2013 08:35 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-13-2013 08:29 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  I think Syracuse should have stayed in the Big East. It'd be easier than constantly trying to turn the ACC into the Big East's clone.

You take the best of both...let's be realistic the new ACC is a blend of two conferences.

The "best" of both seems to be a copy of the Big East tourny.
08-13-2013 08:39 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-13-2013 08:39 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  

And which tourney has been more exciting?
The grit and energy of NY or nondescript Greensboro?
08-13-2013 08:45 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I don't know about the timing. I'll admit to not paying much attention to basketball outside of the Big Ten conference play before the NCAA Tournament, but I thought it always felt like a bigger deal to have tournament championship game on selection Sunday. It felt like it was the big event right before they announced selections and the Big Ten and ACC (and to a lesser degree SEC) were the highlights because of it. I'll admit there are definitely problems with that (like the selection committee not really taking the game into account) and again recognize that I'm very much a biased casual observer, but from a pure perception standpoint, Sunday always felt bigger to me, especially since you still got 2 game Saturday.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 11:53 PM by ohio1317.)
08-13-2013 11:46 PM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
I'm honestly indifferent at this point where the ACC tournament is because it's just not worth arguing about anymore but anyone who says Saturday night at the Garden wasn't the biggest event of the conference tournament week is not telling the truth. The Big East tournament was one of the most electric events in all of sports.

No one is trying to turn the ACC into a Big East clone particularly for football but there are some things the Big East did right, and the number one thing they did right was the conference basketball tournament. Anyone who has went there the past ten years knows that.
08-14-2013 12:08 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-13-2013 11:46 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I don't know about the timing. I'll admit to not paying much attention to basketball outside of the Big Ten conference play before the NCAA Tournament, but I thought it always felt like a bigger deal to have tournament championship game on selection Sunday. It felt like it was the big event right before they announced selections and the Big Ten and ACC (and to a lesser degree SEC) were the highlights because of it. I'll admit there are definitely problems with that (like the selection committee not really taking the game into account) and again recognize that I'm very much a biased casual observer, but from a pure perception standpoint, Sunday always felt bigger to me, especially since you still got 2 game Saturday.

I used to think Sunday too...but I changed. A night game is just a whole different vibe. The game is on at bars across the country, NYC lights, soldout MSG...awesome visuals.
08-14-2013 12:37 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Again, a conference that is trying to rebrand itself the conference of the entire East Coast isn't going to succeed in that rebranding by keeping everything basically in North Carolina, the way things have always been done in the past.

And the one thing the Big East did right was their bb tourney. So that's not a bad thing to "copy". 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
08-14-2013 06:49 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(08-13-2013 08:45 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Wash your mouth out with soap!
08-14-2013 07:19 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(08-14-2013 07:19 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-13-2013 08:45 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Wash your mouth out with soap!

Having actually attended both I can tell you it is not even close. While I prefer Greensboro for ease of travel and the lower associated costs there simply isn't any comparison between the actual atmosphere of the two events.
08-14-2013 08:05 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I'm a bit biased but to me the Sunday conference tournament games, following the Big East Championship Game on Saturday night, always felt a bit anti-climactic. I like watching all of them but to me they always felt like the Pro Bowl after the Super Bowl.

I just don't understand how anyone could see Sunday afternoon in Greensboro, NC or Indianapolis, IN or Atlanta, GA as being in any way comparable to Saturday night in the heart of the entire nation's cultural and financial capital? I'm sorry but it's just not even close.

I love being in the ACC and I would take it over being in even the old Big East every single time. However, the truth is there are some areas in which the Big East was better than the ACC and it is okay to acknowledge that fact. The conference tournament was one such area, IMHO. That is not meant to disparage the ACC, it's just the truth as I see it.

Having said all of that, I will attend this year's ACC Tournament in Greensboro and I'll have a better feel for what I'm talking about after that event. Still, it is extremely difficult for me to imagine my feelings changing on this matter. If anything they are likely to intensify.
08-14-2013 09:24 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Moving anything out of North Carolina is a good thing. If you make fans have to watch football matchups vs teams like Syracuse and BC while missing out on better southern matchups, you better give us the positives at least for things like basketball. MSG is one of those positives in that Saturday night slot.
08-14-2013 10:45 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(08-14-2013 06:49 AM)omniorange Wrote:  And the one thing the Big East did right was their bb tourney. So that's not a bad thing to "copy". 03-wink

Agreed Neil.
08-14-2013 11:05 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

This game was just a quarterfinal game at MSG. It became one of the most memorable games this century. So memorable I had a few people call me around the country as the overtimes increased. So memorable the Big East designed a website to glorify the game. This is what having games in NYC brings.

http://www.sixovertimes.com/
08-14-2013 10:47 PM
westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
Not saying that I never want to see the tourney in NYC, because I do, but you can't just forget our roots. Yes that 6 overtime game is historic, but I tend to believe it wouldn't matter where the game was played if UNC and Duke or Syracuse or any big name teams played a 6 overtime game it would still be famous in the same way whether it was in NYC or Greensboro.
08-15-2013 07:22 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-15-2013 07:22 AM)westmc9th Wrote:  Not saying that I never want to see the tourney in NYC, because I do, but you can't just forget our roots. Yes that 6 overtime game is historic, but I tend to believe it wouldn't matter where the game was played if UNC and Duke or Syracuse or any big name teams played a 6 overtime game it would still be famous in the same way whether it was in NYC or Greensboro.

The Big East Quarterfinal game was on ESPN Primetime (UConn/Cuse 6OT). Aren't ACC Quarterfinal Games played on ESPN2. As I remember the BE was a day ahead and tended to overshadow the ACC games.

It won't be a problem now as ESPN should pimp the crap out of the ACC during tourney time. NBE is with FOX and the AAC is a shell of itself and will get worse after UL leaves this year.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 05:46 PM by TexanMark.)
08-15-2013 08:16 AM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

(08-15-2013 08:16 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 07:22 AM)westmc9th Wrote:  Not saying that I never want to see the tourney in NYC, because I do, but you can't just forget our roots. Yes that 6 overtime game is historic, but I tend to believe it wouldn't matter where the game was played if UNC and Duke or Syracuse or any big name teams played a 6 overtime game it would still be famous in the same way whether it was in NYC or Greensboro.

The Big East Quarterfinal game was on ESPN Primetime (UConn/Cuse 6OT). Aren't ACC Quarterfinal Games played on ESPN2. As I remember the BE was a day ahead and tended to overshadow the ACC games.

It won't be a problem now as ESPN should pimp the crap out of the ACC during tourney time. NBE is with FOX and the ACC is a shell of itself and will get worse after UL leaves this year.

You say the ACC was overshadowed, I say that playing on Saturday felt small-time compared to ending it on Sunday right before the selection.
08-15-2013 02:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.