Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Besides Boise State and us, which G5 school could be in playoffs?
Brian Reading Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
I know it's pretty early to talk about since 2013 hasn't even taken place, but besides Boise State or a school from our conference, what other G5 school would you expect could take the lone G5 access bowl spot or the playoff in 2014?
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 09:31 AM by Brian Reading.)
08-11-2013 11:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Texas2Step Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The American
RE: Besides Boise State and us, which G5 school could be in playoffs?
Good question Brian. Honestly, I could see another MWC team "stealing" a spot from us once in awhile, but I really think that if our champion could finish with just 1-2 losses a year then I don't see another non-undefeated team jumping over us. As long as our teams can avoid playing four "no names" OOC every year, then we'll be in the driver seat most years.
08-11-2013 11:40 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
The key is really to go undefeated, right? That would get the job done. So in many respects I see the MAC as just as big a threat to take that spot. Toledo plays a strong OOC usually, but I could see them or another team beating up on their league schedule the way that you really won't be able to do in The American.
08-11-2013 11:54 PM
Brian Reading Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
(08-11-2013 11:54 PM)OUGwave Wrote:  The key is really to go undefeated, right? That would get the job done. So in many respects I see the MAC as just as big a threat to take that spot. Toledo plays a strong OOC usually, but I could see them or another team beating up on their league schedule the way that you really won't be able to do in The American.

Eh. If there was an undefeated MAC team and an undefeated American team, unless the OOC was highly superior for the MAC team, I'd expect the American team to be higher-ranked every time.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 12:05 AM by Brian Reading.)
08-12-2013 12:05 AM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
If Ohio beats Louisville in week one they will generate a lot of votes and enter the top 25 early enough the climb the polls. Their schedule is very favorable after playing Louisville in week 1. The first to 30 likely wins in week one. There will be a lot of points in that game. Which defense gets a stop in the fourth quarter likely wins. This could be a basketball score with these two QB's going head to head with the offensive weapons both QB's have around them. This could be one of those MACtion games where its 52-49 in the fourth and both teams are over 500 yards in total offense. Bridgewater vs Tettleton should be a must see game as they go back and fourth.
08-12-2013 12:51 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Other than Cinncinatti and Houston who here has even scratched the top 10 in the last decade?
08-12-2013 07:12 AM
Advertisement

mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Boise State plays a pretty good OOC shedule:
2013: Washington, UT Martin, Southern Miss
2014: Ole Miss, UConn, BYU, Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns
2015: BYU, Washington, Virginia

But, as long as the champion of the American at least matches the difficulty I believe they'll be higher rated, especially if we consistently win our Bowl games.
08-12-2013 07:19 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Just about everybody in the Mountain West could be considered a threat. More specifically Boise State, Fresno State, SDSU, and Colorado State play the schedules needed to make an access bowl or take a playoff spot. Toledo also plays the type of schedule outside of the MAC that if they have a season with 1 loss or less could make some noise. Marshall and Southern Miss would be schools to watch too.
08-12-2013 07:40 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(08-12-2013 07:40 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Just about everybody in the Mountain West could be considered a threat. More specifically Boise State, Fresno State, SDSU, and Colorado State play the schedules needed to make an access bowl or take a playoff spot. Toledo also plays the type of schedule outside of the MAC that if they have a season with 1 loss or less could make some noise. Marshall and Southern Miss would be schools to watch too.

This is why I think we take the best of the MWC and best of the AAC and make a conference with east/west divisions.
08-12-2013 07:50 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

The MWC is always going to have an advantage because they play the PAC 12. Other than Oregon and maybe Stanford there isnt a team in the PAC 12 that scares me. History has shown that it only takes one Win over the PAC 12 to get ranked really highly.

AAC schools have a much much tougher path playing Big 12, ACC, Big 10 and SEC schools.
08-12-2013 07:56 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
If we are talking about a 2014 playoff spot?! I'd say no one.

First, we need to know who would be on this selection committee. Conference Director and maybe a Media guy or 2... who knows. My gut says, They are trying to make it more exclusive. I'd say its got to be a MWC or American undefeated champion with a high profile victory under its belt.
08-12-2013 07:56 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't see any G5 school in the play off, ever. Access bowl yes.
08-12-2013 08:01 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

Just go undefeated. You can hit the top 5-10 for sure if you beat 1-2 decent OOC's. You might get a top 4 spot if you're blowing teams out. It'll be hard to do that for us though. I can't see Tulsa, Cincy, Houston, ECU, or UCF not putting up decent fights against eachother in conference. As far as other teams go, I think Boise and Nevada will be the big dogs in the Pac-12 b league.
08-12-2013 10:59 AM
Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
I did a quick check and here is a list of the top G5 school in the final BCS standings for each of the last 15 years (assuming the 2014 conference lineups were in place):

2012 - MAC (Northern Illinois)
2011 - MWC (Boise St)
2010 - MWC (Boise St)
2009 - American (Cincinnati)
2008 - MWC (Boise St)
2007 - MWC (Hawaii)
2006 - MWC (Boise St)
2005 - MWC (Boise St)(NOTE: NONE ranked in final BCS top 25, but Boise St was highest in both AP (28) and Coaches (27))
2004 - MWC (Boise St)
2003 - MAC (Miami University)
2002 - MWC (Boise St)(NOTE: NONE ranked in final BCS top 15, but Boise St was highest in both AP (19) and Coaches (15))
2001 - MWC (Fresno St)(NOTE: NONE ranked in final BCS top 15, but Fresno St was highest in AP (20))
2000 - MWC (Colorado St)(NOTE: NONE ranked in final BCS top 15, but Colorado St was highest in AP (23))
1999 - C-USA (Marshall)
1998 - American (Tulane)

Number of Access Bowl slots over last 15 years if the 2014 conference and bowl structures were in place:
MWC - 10 (Boise St x 7, Hawaii, Fresno St, Colorado St)
American - 2 (Cincinnati, Tulane)
MAC - 2 (Northern Illinois, Miami University)
C-USA - 1 (Marshall)
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 10:45 PM by Inigo.)
08-12-2013 12:13 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(08-12-2013 07:12 AM)panicstricken Wrote:  Other than Cinncinatti and Houston who here has even scratched the top 10 in the last decade?

Well USF did get to #2 VERY briefly... but we cratered after so almost no one remembers it. 02-13-banana
08-12-2013 12:50 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(08-12-2013 07:50 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 07:40 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Just about everybody in the Mountain West could be considered a threat. More specifically Boise State, Fresno State, SDSU, and Colorado State play the schedules needed to make an access bowl or take a playoff spot. Toledo also plays the type of schedule outside of the MAC that if they have a season with 1 loss or less could make some noise. Marshall and Southern Miss would be schools to watch too.

This is why I think we take the best of the MWC and best of the AAC and make a conference with east/west divisions.

I agree for the most part. I just don't think that their will be a merger; it will be us (believe it) raiding them for 5-6 of their teams.

BYU might have an interesting choice to make if they want inclusion in any possible playoff scenario.
08-12-2013 02:27 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

This is my thought. We should have went for the throat and grabbed Boise, SDSU, UNLV, and AF. Setup a pod system with east, central, and west pods. Probably gaurantee us in the access bowl every year.
08-12-2013 02:36 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(08-12-2013 02:36 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

This is my thought. We should have went for the throat and grabbed Boise, SDSU, UNLV, and AF. Setup a pod system with east, central, and west pods. Probably gaurantee us in the access bowl every year.

If we're thinking about this you can almost guarantee the a few ADs, Presidents and Commissioners are as well.

I really think that if this were done right, such a merger/agreement could give us a shot at a playoff spot each year.

Now that I think of it: the Holland "Alliance" idea might be a good one... just with the MWC and the AAC instead of CUSA.

We'll know something after this season is over; I would think by spring at the latest.
08-12-2013 02:52 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-12-2013 07:12 AM)panicstricken Wrote:  Other than Cinncinatti and Houston who here has even scratched the top 10 in the last decade?

We were 14th a few years ago, later dropped out
08-12-2013 02:53 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(08-12-2013 08:01 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I don't see any G5 school in the play off, ever. Access bowl yes.

Same here. The system has officially been rigged at this point. Access Bowl is the goal for G5.
08-12-2013 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.