Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

You know what would legitimize the AAC?
MHSCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville/ND
You know what would legitimize the AAC?
WINNING. A team or two in the top will be nice but what really has to happen is the teams not expected to do well winning OOC. Have more USF beating Notre Dame and less Rutgers losing to Toledo and then the top team have more legs to stand on be it Louisville Rutgers or Cincinnati. .
08-10-2013 03:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: You know what would legitimize the AAC?
The record shows that it's incredibly hard.

If lots of teams are good, and beat each other up, then people say none of them are REALLY any good. (See Big East football, 2005-12)

If one team is super-good, and beats the hell out of everyone else with regularity, then they say sure, maybe that team is good, but they just beat up a bunch of nobodies all year in conference. (See Boise State in the WAC and MWC.)

Maybe if you have two teams who both run roughshod over everybody else, AND perform out of conference, maybe the other teams might get some credit when they start catching up. Or maybe there will be some new and novel excuse why that doesn't count either.
08-10-2013 03:27 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Best thing that could happen is beat teams OOC and let the chips in conference fall where they may.
08-10-2013 03:31 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-10-2013 03:13 PM)MHSCard Wrote:  WINNING. A team or two in the top will be nice but what really has to happen is the teams not expected to do well winning OOC. Have more USF beating Notre Dame and less Rutgers losing to Toledo and then the top team have more legs to stand on be it Louisville Rutgers or Cincinnati. .

That helps but the Big East did that all of time and still the media blasted the conference. I do think that the media will be a little nicer this year because they have their P5 G5 split for next season so they might champion the "little" guy.
08-10-2013 03:34 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
The Big East had plenty of good wins. UConn blew out South Carolina in the Birmingham bowl, and WVU blew out Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. And we were still treated like lepers.

The OP is true to some extent .... if we win OOC, there is a small chance we will gain some respect. But if we lose OOC, we'll essentially be FCS.
08-10-2013 05:23 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
What would really change the AAC would be for someone from the conference to go out and win a national championship.

Okay. Okay. That's not going to happen. How about going out and beating a legendary team in a major bowl like Boise did over Oklahoma? That would get it started on the right track.
08-10-2013 06:54 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
UCF over Florida State. Book it.
08-10-2013 07:14 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
disagree with the premise
08-10-2013 07:30 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(08-10-2013 06:54 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  What would really change the AAC would be for someone from the conference to go out and win a national championship.

Okay. Okay. That's not going to happen. How about going out and beating a legendary team in a major bowl like Boise did over Oklahoma? That would get it started on the right track.

I would never say never.

Think about it this way: VPI has been a national title contender and they have since faded. Syracuse has been a national itle contender and they have done the same. LSU -while a good program- was not a national title contender until Saban coached there. Michigan has faded over the years.

Success can be fleeting but it can also come out of nowhere. Boise State came out of nowhere and the same can basically be said of TCU prior to Franchionne's (sp?) arrival. Oklahoma State, Kansas State and other examples come to mind.

Granted, it is tougher to do it nowadays. However, it is not impossible.

As of right now, I would say that in the American the teams with the most upside are UCF, USF, Cinci, Houston and ECU. I have a feeling that Fuente is going to get things going in Memphis in short order (1-3 years from now). If SMU ever decides to really compete nationally, they have the cash to do so. Tulane (believe it or not) offers a lot as well; they will get better once their stadium is built.

I also think that our conference will expand at some point sooner-rather-than-later. We might have a chance at landing some good programs...
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 08:32 PM by Ned Low.)
08-10-2013 08:31 PM
flyin'tiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: memphis
(08-10-2013 03:34 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 03:13 PM)MHSCard Wrote:  WINNING. A team or two in the top will be nice but what really has to happen is the teams not expected to do well winning OOC. Have more USF beating Notre Dame and less Rutgers losing to Toledo and then the top team have more legs to stand on be it Louisville Rutgers or Cincinnati. .

That helps but the Big East did that all of time and still the media blasted the conference. I do think that the media will be a little nicer this year because they have their P5 G5 split for next season so they might champion the "little" guy.

Maybe, if we still had freedom of the press in the United States. Haven't had that for awhile, but if you have a lot of money you can own a newspaper, or a government.
08-10-2013 08:42 PM
Advertisement

Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
SMU over Texas A&M while putting Johnny Hangover out for the season with a Theisman-esque hit!!!
08-11-2013 06:28 AM
whitey Offline
1st String

I Root For: a playoff
(08-10-2013 08:31 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 06:54 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  What would really change the AAC would be for someone from the conference to go out and win a national championship.

I would never say never.

Think about it this way: VPI has been a national title contender and they have since faded. Syracuse has been a national itle contender and they have done the same. LSU -while a good program- was not a national title contender until Saban coached there. Michigan has faded over the years.

Success can be fleeting but it can also come out of nowhere. Boise State came out of nowhere and the same can basically be said of TCU prior to Franchionne's (sp?) arrival. Oklahoma State, Kansas State and other examples come to mind.

Granted, it is tougher to do it nowadays. However, it is not impossible.

As of right now, I would say that in the American the teams with the most upside are UCF, USF, Cinci, Houston and ECU. I have a feeling that Fuente is going to get things going in Memphis in short order (1-3 years from now). If SMU ever decides to really compete nationally, they have the cash to do so. Tulane (believe it or not) offers a lot as well; they will get better once their stadium is built.

I also think that our conference will expand at some point sooner-rather-than-later. We might have a chance at landing some good programs...

Don't forget TULSA.
08-11-2013 01:17 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-10-2013 03:31 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Best thing that could happen is beat teams OOC and let the chips in conference fall where they may.
This.
08-11-2013 01:37 PM
Advertisement

BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(08-11-2013 06:28 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  SMU over Texas A&M while putting Johnny Hangover out for the season with a Theisman-esque hit!!!

That would actually be very bad publicity.
08-11-2013 01:39 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Free hookers and blow at AAC games?

[Image: street.jpg]

[Image: Cocaine-Addiction-Treatment.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 01:40 PM by 8BitPirate.)
08-11-2013 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flyin'tiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: memphis
(08-11-2013 01:39 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Free hookers and blow at AAC games?

[Image: street.jpg]

[Image: Cocaine-Addiction-Treatment.jpg]

Are those Peruvian girls? They look Brazilian to me.
08-11-2013 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.