Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa Football
TU1NNC Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa Football
Bill seems very positive about this years team. Although they are young at certain positions they are very athletic. Looking forward to a great year. Go TU.
08-06-2013 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

RE: Tulsa Football
I've been surprised at how optimistic Coach B has been. He must think these freshmen & redshirt freshmen groups have a lot of good young players, especially defensive players. I sure hope that's the case because we will need several freshmen (redshirt & true freshmen) to step up in a big way for us to have a season similar to last season.

Here are some of our young defensive players to keep an eye on:

FR-RS CB Darnell Walker Jr.
SOPH. S. Michael Mudoh
SOPH. CB Darrell Williams
FR-HS DT Jesse Brubaker
FR-HS DT Lionel Phillips
FR-RS DE Cory Rahmings
FR-RS DT Jerry Uwaezuoke
FR-HS S Joe Bean
08-06-2013 08:30 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
Me two. Good list. Might add WR Kevaan Lucas.

My fingers are crossed on those DLine pups.
08-07-2013 07:50 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I like the optimism, even by some of the magazines, but with so many new pieces on defense I think it would be a miracle to match last year. I think the defense will get better as the year goes on but I'm still hoping for a winning season 7-5...........and looking forward to our start in the AAC, when I think we will have our best team in a long time. I think starting next year we will have some really good teams for several years!!!!! We don't want to completely drop off the radar this year because we might look like a fluke to some voters and make it harder to get some of the respect back we have achieved in the last few years. 7-5 will be OK but 8-4 would keep us in good shape for the coming years!!!!!
08-09-2013 08:58 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I'm worried about that DLine too. Those pups from HS may be good athletes and ultimately good players ( I checked out Brubakers HS video on rivals - nice prospect), but the grind of CFB and the pressure that goes along with it will take a toll.

I see this years defense in this light. We have basically four starters back - Jackson, Nelson, Martin and Osborne (who basically filled in for Deandre Brown at OLB and for Martin who was injured at times). We have Todd and Alexander who were cobra package linemen and would be considered partime starters along with Dobbins who played a lot and started a game or two. So we aren't devoid of experience.

Our concern is DLine because that was such a strength last year with all the sacks. And our secondary was very good for most of the year but was subject to the occasional big play breakdown. We need Jewell back if possible. (Ever notice that academics is seldom a problem at OU/OSU/Ark).

If I had my drothers, I'd want the returning experienced players to be linebacker heavy and we certainly are that because they support both that inexperienced line and that unproven secondary. We evidently have a lot of athleticism in those spots (DL/DB), but little experience, but I'd rather have a "well trained" inexperienced "athlete" in those spots than an experienced marginally ungifted player. So compared to last year, we may be better, but more subject to bonehead breakdowns that could cost us dearly when we least expect it.

What we need most is a turnover free offense and Cody not making the "pick 6" throws this year. If that happens this year - our offense putting the defense in a bad way - it could mean we may not reach expectation level.

IMO.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 12:05 PM by rabidTU2.)
08-10-2013 11:57 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

(08-09-2013 08:58 AM)jfisher Wrote:  I like the optimism, even by some of the magazines, but with so many new pieces on defense I think it would be a miracle to match last year. I think the defense will get better as the year goes on but I'm still hoping for a winning season 7-5...........and looking forward to our start in the AAC, when I think we will have our best team in a long time. I think starting next year we will have some really good teams for several years!!!!! We don't want to completely drop off the radar this year because we might look like a fluke to some voters and make it harder to get some of the respect back we have achieved in the last few years. 7-5 will be OK but 8-4 would keep us in good shape for the coming years!!!!!

Sorry but I have to disagree... 7-5 in the conference would be embarrassing and 8-4 wouldn't be much better. Our goal should be to hit the double digit win mark again this year. Anything below 9 wins in this awful conference won't look good as we move up next year.
08-10-2013 04:58 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

With so many young players, I don't think we know where this year is headed, but I do know this, with such a young bunch, I think we'll really see the value of our coaching. We are getting further away from the "Todd Graham" era and more entrenched in the BB era. So IMO, we will either see the rewards of his and his staffs efforts, a leveling off of the records, or the beginning of a slow decline. IMO, this is a pivotal year from the standpoint of where the program is headed. We have a tougher schedule with no gimmee Nichols States', but we don't have Houston or SMU either on our side of CUSA. But I think having to play ECU and Marshall with only a short rest will tell us how the season goes and maybe where the program is going. IMO.
08-11-2013 12:16 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
We have to hope for the best and some kind of offensive football(no pun intended). We honestly have two very good running backs and one of the only things I was impressed with in the BG game was the wide receivers.....I think they will be very good also. The offense needs a little more creativity but when the defense is stacking the line of scrimmage, it's just hard to run!!! As long as we don't have a passing threat our running game is going to suffer!!! We don't even have the threat of our QB running to keep them honest. We could switch to the wish-bone since we don't have much of passer but that takes a running QB and we don't have that. We have a QB that isn't a very good passer.......and a QB that isn't a very good runner.....but boy, he's a leader.......if I hear that one more time I'm going to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, he lead the team off the field after a not that good BG team beat the sh.....out of us. Our defense played better than I expected and I think it will be OK as the season goes on......but after so many 3 and outs, the poor defense is going to get a little tired and the 4th quarter is going to be a disaster for us if that keeps up. I know I've been saying this for a year now but Green is NOT a QB and never has been and the only chance we have for a winning season is for Dane or anybody else to takeover as soon as possible and open up the offense........with out that.....it's going to be a LONG, LONG season!!!!
09-01-2013 07:38 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

(08-06-2013 08:30 PM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  I've been surprised at how optimistic Coach B has been. He must think these freshmen & redshirt freshmen groups have a lot of good young players, especially defensive players. I sure hope that's the case because we will need several freshmen (redshirt & true freshmen) to step up in a big way for us to have a season similar to last season.

SOPH. S. Michael Mudoh
FR-HS DT Jesse Brubaker
FR-HS DT Lionel Phillips
FR-RS DE Cory Rahmings
FR-RS DT Jerry Uwaezuoke
FR-HS S Joe Bean

After one game, here is an update on these young defensive players :

Walker - started & played very well. I think he will be a very good CB.
Mudoh - 17 tackles in first game. He doesn't have McCoil's experience, but he has much better closing speed & he rarely misses a tackle. Give him Nelson as a partner & we would look solid at safety.
Williams - out for year with knee injury
Brubaker - started first game & appeared to play fairly well. We will know what we have in a few more games.
Phillips - backed up Brubaker, similar comments as Brubaker
Rahmings - hampered by injuries. Did play as backup in first game. No idea how big a contributor he'll be this season.
Uwaezoke - Don't know if he saw the field at BG. Very young for his class. Don't think he has developed as fast as we'd hoped.
Bean - Apparently redshirting. I still wonder why the hype on him died so quickly. He wasn't even mentioned at all in preseason comments by position (most true freshmen were mentioned). I will feel better if he is in uniform against CSU (even redshirts usually get to stand on sideline during home games).
09-02-2013 10:29 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(08-11-2013 12:16 PM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  With so many young players, I don't think we know where this year is headed, but I do know this, with such a young bunch, I think we'll really see the value of our coaching. We are getting further away from the "Todd Graham" era and more entrenched in the BB era. So IMO, we will either see the rewards of his and his staffs efforts, a leveling off of the records, or the beginning of a slow decline. IMO, this is a pivotal year from the standpoint of where the program is headed. We have a tougher schedule with no gimmee Nichols States', but we don't have Houston or SMU either on our side of CUSA. But I think having to play ECU and Marshall with only a short rest will tell us how the season goes and maybe where the program is going. IMO.

I haven't changed my mind on this post other than I'm a little more concerned and less positive, not only about the program, but the decision making and the support system behind the scenes.
09-02-2013 11:40 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(08-06-2013 08:30 PM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  I've been surprised at how optimistic Coach B has been. He must think these freshmen & redshirt freshmen groups have a lot of good young players, especially defensive players. I sure hope that's the case because we will need several freshmen (redshirt & true freshmen) to step up in a big way for us to have a season similar to last season.

SOPH. S. Michael Mudoh
FR-HS DT Jesse Brubaker
FR-HS DT Lionel Phillips
FR-RS DE Cory Rahmings
FR-RS DT Jerry Uwaezuoke
FR-HS S Joe Bean

Walker and Bean are gone along with Dalton R. Thats a lot of ability gone from the program. I hope they weren't thinking TU was a sinking ship.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 05:37 PM by rabidTU2.)
08-09-2014 03:49 PM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
The real problem with the football team. Is that the first team equivalent is gone. Just a few years ago most of the current offensive starters would have been at worst third team bench, at best second team. This team will have to play nearly flawless to hit 10 wins. Play at a good level to win six. If this years hurricane offensive flavor can play together, they at least have a chance. If not then there is always round-ball. 03-yawn03-yawn03-yawn
08-10-2014 07:55 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

(08-10-2014 07:55 AM)TulsaEye Wrote:  The real problem with the football team. Is that the first team equivalent is gone. Just a few years ago most of the current offensive starters would have been at worst third team bench, at best second team. This team will have to play nearly flawless to hit 10 wins. Play at a good level to win six. If this years hurricane offensive flavor can play together, they at least have a chance. If not then there is always round-ball. 03-yawn03-yawn03-yawn

IMO we were a completely different FB team from then to now (I assume you mean during the TG years).

TG, a defensive coach, gave up huge chunks of yardage most games, but the offenses he "allowed" were much more dynamic leading the country in that category.

BB, an offensive coach with a very vanilla offensive structure, has really hung his hat on defensive success. Its a complete about face from the TG days.

What I wish we'd do is have the best of both worlds - a dynamic attacking offense that is big play capable and a defense that is solid and well coached like we have now.

I think both TG and BB have strengths and weaknesses, but neither can coach QBs at this level, nor should they be forced to, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 10:28 AM by rabidTU2.)
08-10-2014 10:26 AM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
(08-10-2014 10:26 AM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 07:55 AM)TulsaEye Wrote:  The real problem with the football team. Is that the first team equivalent is gone. Just a few years ago most of the current offensive starters would have been at worst third team bench, at best second team. This team will have to play nearly flawless to hit 10 wins. Play at a good level to win six. If this years hurricane offensive flavor can play together, they at least have a chance. If not then there is always round-ball. 03-yawn03-yawn03-yawn

IMO we were a completely different FB team from then to now (I assume you mean during the TG years).

TG, a defensive coach, gave up huge chunks of yardage most games, but the offenses he "allowed" were much more dynamic leading the country in that category.

BB, an offensive coach with a very vanilla offensive structure, has really hung his hat on defensive success. Its a complete about face from the TG days.

What I wish we'd do is have the best of both worlds - a dynamic attacking offense that is big play capable and a defense that is solid and well coached like we have now.

I think both TG and BB have strengths and weaknesses, but neither can coach QBs at this level, nor should they be forced to, IMO.

I don't think BB was forced to coach QB's. In my opinion he wanted to.
08-11-2014 04:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.