Bookmark and Share
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
SI:The Shape of Things to Come
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...=cf_t11_a0

Looks like we got out just in time...
07-25-2013 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: SI:The Shape of Things to Come
That's the most realistic theory about how this split will happen. G5 and P5 will both move to the new division, and access from the 1AA ranks will be essentially cut off.
07-25-2013 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

(07-25-2013 02:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  That's the most realistic theory about how this split will happen. G5 and P5 will both move to the new division, and access from the 1AA ranks will be essentially cut off.

And big basketball conferences come with. A lawyer says meh.
07-25-2013 02:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
[Image: Star_Trek_-_In_Before_the_Lock.gif]
07-25-2013 02:59 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Sounds good to me....This is what it has become anyway....Just glad admin. at WKU saw this coming in 2005 when the plans emerged to move to FBS....
07-25-2013 03:00 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
Ehh...I don't know that article was good but this quote 'caused me to raise my eyebrow:

Quote:Along with the Big 5, a majority of the other major football-playing leagues would likely go with them -- Mountain West, American Athletic, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC. The top basketball leagues like the Big East, Atlantic-10 and perhaps the WCC would go as well. The Ivy League and Patriot League will be talked about, too.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...z2a5dBUiIh

Seriously? The Ivy and Patriot? I don't believe either conference offers scholarships. And, the Ivy doesn't even conduct a conference basketball tournament supposedly because doing so is about money and it would harm the purity of their athletics programs.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 03:18 PM by GaStPanthers.)
07-25-2013 03:17 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I call it the "stay-break".

The FBS and top hoop leagues stay in Division I for the NCAA basketball tournament and CWS but they are playing under a different set of rules.
07-25-2013 03:27 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(07-25-2013 03:17 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  Ehh...I don't know that article was good but this quote 'caused me to raise my eyebrow:

Quote:Along with the Big 5, a majority of the other major football-playing leagues would likely go with them -- Mountain West, American Athletic, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC. The top basketball leagues like the Big East, Atlantic-10 and perhaps the WCC would go as well. The Ivy League and Patriot League will be talked about, too.

Seriously? The Ivy and Patriot? I don't believe either conference offers scholarships. And, the Ivy doesn't even conduct a conference basketball tournament supposedly because doing so is about money and it would harm the purity of their athletics programs.
It doesn't really make sense.
If the P5 are doing it for power to do what they want, why would they include a bunch of basketball conferences and maybe the Ivy League and Pioneer League?
Can see the basketball conferences more than the rest. Unless they want to include rich schools in with their power move. This might thrill the Patriot League. Ivy League not as sure.
07-25-2013 03:31 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(07-25-2013 03:31 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(07-25-2013 03:17 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  Ehh...I don't know that article was good but this quote 'caused me to raise my eyebrow:

It doesn't really make sense.
If the P5 are doing it for power to do what they want, why would they include a bunch of basketball conferences and maybe the Ivy League and Pioneer League?
Can see the basketball conferences more than the rest. Unless they want to include rich schools in with their power move. This might thrill the Patriot League. Ivy League not as sure.

It will be the power 5 the g5 and the biggest MBB conferences.
07-25-2013 03:34 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I figured Ivy League was just included for the brains and the history.
07-25-2013 03:52 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
(07-25-2013 03:52 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I figured Ivy League was just included for the brains and the history.

I figure it's because their alumni are high-powered lawyers, judges, Congressmen, Presidents of the USA, etc.
07-25-2013 05:15 PM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
If that does happen I bet NMSU will be banging on the door trying to come in the SBC for all sports. They better be proactive and get that done quickly.
07-25-2013 06:29 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Last call JMU.
07-25-2013 06:34 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Isn't our favorite school Lehigh in the Patriot League.
07-25-2013 06:43 PM
appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App State
If this comes to pass, it makes our #12 spot look more inviting. How much should our entrance fee be increased?
07-25-2013 08:42 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-25-2013 03:27 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I call it the "stay-break".

The FBS and top hoop leagues stay in Division I for the NCAA basketball tournament and CWS but they are playing under a different set of rules.

If everyone in FBS continues to move toward not scheduling FCS at all then the blurry lines are going to become a lot more stark. That's going to have an impact on recruiting for SBC, MAC, CUSA, etc.

You won't be able to go to McNeese, stay home, and play the big boys and get on the big stage once or twice a year. No App State at Michigan. If you want to play against teams at the highest level you'll have no choice. Will make athletes take a hard second look at an SBC, MAC, CUSA, FBS offer over an FCS offer close to home.

Delany is talking about giving a transition year to students who might have grade issues or need remediation. That's going to hit FCS schools and JC's who have relied on that sort of pipeline.
07-25-2013 09:10 PM
Advertisement

Buzz Lightyear Lite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TROY
(07-25-2013 06:34 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Last call JMU.

they are coming
07-26-2013 11:07 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(07-25-2013 06:29 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  If that does happen I bet NMSU will be banging on the door trying to come in the SBC for all sports. They better be proactive and get that done quickly.

I thought they already were.
07-26-2013 11:10 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(07-26-2013 11:10 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(07-25-2013 06:29 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  If that does happen I bet NMSU will be banging on the door trying to come in the SBC for all sports. They better be proactive and get that done quickly.

Yep
07-26-2013 11:22 AM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(07-26-2013 11:10 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  

Already were coming?

Or, already banging on the door?
07-26-2013 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.