Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall v. Miami (O). Is it too early to gear up?
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Marshall v. Miami (O). Is it too early to gear up?
Is it too early to start chewing on the Miami - Marshall game? I really dislike those guys, and it's a must win game to get the Herd off on the right track for the season?

Why do I dislike them so much?
1. 10-30-1 all time against the Red Hawks.
2. Since 1997, we are 6-2, but they owned us before then. MAy account for their arrogance, which needs to be tamped down a bit.
3. No Marshall fan will ever forgive them for the 66-6 shellacking in our second game after the crash. It was an intentional beatdown of a freshman team. No class.
4. One coach arrested for striking a fan and one coach fired for trashing our press box, following a Marshall win in 2002. No class.
5.How about just a C-USA win against the MAC!

Start talking this one up now Herd fans. Fill the Joan. Let's get this season started out right.
05-18-2013 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Herdthedrums1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Marshall v. Miami (O). Is it too early to gear up?
Never too early, I've had this one circled and tailgate planned since announced. Hoping its as good if a game as many are expecting. Gooo Herd!
05-18-2013 10:04 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Stan Hill Run

This pic is always fun:

[Image: JonWauford.jpg]
Jon Wauford Arrested

[Image: t9ibo3.jpg]
Yes It was Pass Interference
05-18-2013 10:49 AM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Aren't you guys not supposed to care or something? I would have thought being a MAC school they would not be worth your time?

Ah just messing with you guys have a good time.
05-18-2013 02:20 PM
fedale Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MARSHALL
I'll wait for the one Miami fan to chime in........
05-18-2013 03:57 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
How many fans will Miami bring? ALso, when was the last time Marshall sold their stadium out? How many people does your stadium seat?
05-18-2013 04:09 PM
Advertisement

Cougar Hippy Offline
Banned

I Root For: Dear old U of H
(05-18-2013 02:20 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  Aren't you guys not supposed to care or something? I would have thought being a MAC school they would not be worth your time?

The MAC is Marshall's natural conference and schools like Miami (OH) and Ohio U are their geographical and historical rivals.
05-18-2013 04:41 PM
Dorrej Offline
Special Teams

(05-18-2013 04:09 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  How many fans will Miami bring? ALso, when was the last time Marshall sold their stadium out? How many people does your stadium seat?

I don't expect Miami to bring many fans and our last sellout was in 2011.
05-18-2013 06:05 PM
keebler645 Offline
Special Teams

Last sellout was actually 2010 vs WVU. Attendance was 41,382, a record. Official capacity is 38,019.

Miami never brought more than a couple hundred fans (if that, even) when we were both good and the game decided who won the MAC East every year. Abysmal fan support for a three hour drive although in their defense, the last two Huntington games were weeknight ESPN games.
05-18-2013 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(05-18-2013 03:57 PM)fedale Wrote:  I'll wait for the one Miami fan to chime in........

07-coffee3 don't get upset when you lose.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 09:05 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
05-18-2013 09:01 PM
All American

(05-18-2013 04:41 PM)Cougar Hippy Wrote:  
(05-18-2013 02:20 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  Aren't you guys not supposed to care or something? I would have thought being a MAC school they would not be worth your time?

The MAC is Marshall's natural conference and schools like Miami (OH) and Ohio U are their geographical and historical rivals.

Believe me I know that several of their historical rivals (and most played series) are found among MAC schools I was just having some fun since a few of their fans like to say that MAC teams don't matter but then they get so into having a shot at them.

Just to be fair there are MAC fans/teams that are just the same way. They like to say Marshal does not mean a thing but want a shot at them too.
05-18-2013 10:24 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
There was a thread awhile back referencing way too early lines (or something like that). I was told nobody would remember the heated rivalry between the two. I picked Miami +8. This thread is why.
05-18-2013 11:23 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  Just to be fair there are MAC fans/teams that are just the same way. They like to say Marshal does not mean a thing but want a shot at them too.

Believe me when I say I would have rather extended the Louisville series or signed a 1-1 or 2-2 with someone like Cincy. But since Little Miami is on the schedule there is only one thing to do: Beat Their Heads In.

67-7 would be to good for them.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 11:25 PM by HerdZoned.)
05-18-2013 11:24 PM
All American

(05-18-2013 11:24 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  Just to be fair there are MAC fans/teams that are just the same way. They like to say Marshal does not mean a thing but want a shot at them too.

Believe me when I say I would have rather extended the Louisville series or signed a 1-1 or 2-2 with someone like Cincy. But since Little Miami is on the schedule there is only one thing to do: Beat Their Heads In.

67-7 would be to good for them.

And yet all I am seeing is glorious hate that for whatever reason seems to be more passionate than it is for most other schools you play.

But keep saying you don't care just remember your emotions betray you.
05-18-2013 11:45 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
I ask this question honestly, not as a flame, regarding the 66-6 game- did Miami really run up the score or was it just a blowout? Its hard to find any press on it but I did find one article recapping the game and the Miami coach was quoted as feeling bad that the score was that high. Miami scored on 9 of its 13 possessions and 2 touchdowns were scored by their 3rd string running back so its not like their starters were in the whole game.

I ask because some Marshall fans accused Ohio of running up the score two years ago in the 44-7 game, even though Ohio only scored once after the opening drive of the 3rd quarter, so I know their fans have the ability to over exaggerate. I hate Miami as much (or more) than any Marshall fan but was just wondering if the claim of them running up the score is more opinion than fact.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 11:13 AM by perimeterpost.)
05-19-2013 11:11 AM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

(05-19-2013 11:11 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  I ask this question honestly, not as a flame, regarding the 66-6 game- did Miami really run up the score or was it just a blowout? Its hard to find any press on it but I did find one article recapping the game and the Miami coach was quoted as feeling bad that the score was that high. Miami scored on 9 of its 13 possessions and 2 touchdowns were scored by their 3rd string running back so its not like their starters were in the whole game.

I ask because some Marshall fans accused Ohio of running up the score two years ago in the 44-7 game, even though Ohio only scored once after the opening drive of the 3rd quarter, so I know their fans have the ability to over exaggerate. I hate Miami as much (or more) than any Marshall fan but was just wondering if the claim of them running up the score is more opinion than fact.

Miami didn't rest their starters that game. And Ohio ran a fake punt in the fourth quarter during the 44-7 game. With that said, if we had done the same thing I'd be okay with it because I despise the entire MAC. If college sports weren't about money I'd be all for going back so we could dominate the entire conference again. But it is. So I'm not.
05-19-2013 11:34 AM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Ohio's punter ran a fake punt, in the 3rd quarter, on a drive that was extended a few plays earlier when he was roughed on a punt attempt. Ohio then fumbled on the next play and Marshall recovered. But somehow that becomes Ohio running up the score in the 4th quarter.
05-19-2013 12:23 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Given the emotions involved in the aftermath of the plane crash the year before, most any discussion of the 66--6 loss to Miami on Oct. 3, 1971 will likely end badly. As a Miami grad, I would hope that we didn't run the score up and from the accounts I read on the game I don't think there was that intent (athough I suppose Marshall fans are likely to disagree).

Marshall was missing their injured QB, Reggie Oliver, and didn't get a single first down until the 3rd quarter, so essentially the Miami offense was on the field most all day. Miami ran off 90 plays and ended up with 359 yards rushing and 84 passing, so they didn't throw the ball much. Miami's emerging star and starting RB Bob Hitchens was then a sophomore, and carried 17 times for 92 yards, only 1/4 of Miami's total rushing yardage. He scored 3 times. A 3rd string fullback named Dean Harmony, who had never seen the field before in two years at Miami, had 85 yards rushing and scored two TD's. Miami's back-up QB Steve Williams scored 2 TD's.

Marshall ended up with 2 yards of net offense, picking up 23 throwing and minus 21 on the ground, and ran off only 30 plays. Here's what Miami Coach Bill Mallory said after the game: " We always had good field position. I didn't want it to get that high, though. Not having Oliver hurt them I'm sure." He also added: "We were fortunate in that we got on top in a hurry. We were able to keep fresh people in the game and they were tired, especially on defense."

I can't say if Miami kept their first team defense in the game too long....it's apparent that they played a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers on offense during the game and mostly kept it on the ground. Again, this is before my time at Miami and perhaps there are Herd fans here that attended the game.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 04:40 PM by exCincy Kid.)
05-19-2013 12:45 PM
Woody Woodrum Offline
Bench Warmer

Well, Coach Jack Lengyel was upset enough he told his team to stop and look at the scoreboard and remember what Miami had done to the Young Thundering Herd that day - you'd be hard-pressed to find a single member of that football team with one good word to say about Miami.

Or as a caller to my show said about Marshall rejoining the MAC in 1997:

"I'd root for Red China before I'd root for the RedHawks!"

Bring on the Hawkskins!
05-19-2013 04:39 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2013 11:11 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  I ask this question honestly, not as a flame, regarding the 66-6 game- did Miami really run up the score or was it just a blowout? Its hard to find any press on it but I did find one article recapping the game and the Miami coach was quoted as feeling bad that the score was that high. Miami scored on 9 of its 13 possessions and 2 touchdowns were scored by their 3rd string running back so its not like their starters were in the whole game.

Little Miami kept their starters in the entire game. And scored a TD with 6 seconds left on the clock. I think I would consider that running the score up.

As fast as it was shown we can score last year and as bad as Little Miami's D- was, I hope DOC and Legg put up as many points as we can in 60 mins on Aug 31, 2013. And I think we can do that no matter if its Rakeem Cato or Blake Frohnapfel is running the show.
05-19-2013 05:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.