Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Expansion:
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
AAC Expansion:
Not going to name my source (suffice to say, there is one, and it's a lot more reliable than tuxedo yoda, or 'neers fan or whatever), but it appears the talks among the AAC presidents and AD's are including Army and Air Force Academy, to come in with Navy in 2015 (projected, though the conversation implied it could happen in 2014).
    Things to take away from this:
  • The timing of these moves coincides with the expiration of the Army-Navy game rights (more or less). A move like this would put the rights to the Army-Navy-AFA games under the AAC, and thus ESPN. That = $$$$, enough to negate the Playoff revenue loss from going to 14.
  • With the MAC renegotiating their contract with ESPN at the halfway point, 2017 is the halfway point for our tv deal. Maintain the current exposure, with a stable line-up of teams and that can also = $$$$
  • No word yet on anything relevant to adding 1 to 3 BBall only teams to complement the Academies. It would make sense, in my opinion, to add them IF AND ONLY IF they bring positive net gain to the conference. This could mean anything from reducing travel expenditures, to gathering new markets, to luring eyeballs.

I plan to ask about the BBall additions ASAP.
05-13-2013 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: AAC Expansion:
Why would Air Force to be interested now when they weren't before?
05-13-2013 12:18 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I would think the top 3 ( at least from the perspective of this board ) for a BBall only invite, would be UMass, VCU, and Wichita State.
05-13-2013 12:19 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(05-13-2013 12:18 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Why would Air Force to be interested now when they weren't before?

The same could be asked of Army. I didn't say I thought it was plausible, that's just what my source said.
05-13-2013 12:19 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(05-13-2013 12:18 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Why would Air Force to be interested now when they weren't before?

Yeah that's the only reason I can't really buy this. Only reason I could think they might be is Army changed their mind and the idea of being in a conference with all 3 academies is attractive, but even still I don't buy them. I could see Army changing their mind and joining a league with the way the playoff/access money is being distributed, but Air Force is already in a league and gets those benefits.
05-13-2013 12:21 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2013 12:19 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

The same could be asked of Army. I didn't say I thought it was plausible, that's just what my source said.

Right, I was going to ask why either would be interested now when they weren't previous --- but I wasn't certain Army ever got an invite (think they might have said they weren't interested however)
05-13-2013 12:21 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

One thing is for sure: If Air Force does make the jump, it would be interesting to see the talking heads argue who is the #7 and #6 conference now.
05-13-2013 12:26 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I just have my doubts (serious doubts) about AFA at this point. They already have a conference, they love to play their neighbors CSU and Wyoming, and I would think the invite would be for football - meaning AFA would have to find a home for their olympic sports. A lot of obstacles to overcome for AFA and I don't think the reward that was with the BE in December 2011 is there anymore for them now.

Army is somewhat realistic because they can go football only just like Navy can, their close geographically, and it gives them a spot in the new setup. But I think the changes to the rules and the setup of FBS is going to force Army (and BYU) into making a tough decision. Stay independent and get left out, or join a conference. ND already has a pseudo-conference alignment, so they don't have the same concern.
05-13-2013 12:28 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(05-13-2013 12:28 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I just have my doubts (serious doubts) about AFA at this point. They already have a conference, they love to play their neighbors CSU and Wyoming, and I would think the invite would be for football - meaning AFA would have to find a home for their olympic sports. A lot of obstacles to overcome for AFA and I don't think the reward that was with the BE in December 2011 is there anymore for them now.

Army is somewhat realistic because they can go football only just like Navy can, their close geographically, and it gives them a spot in the new setup. But I think the changes to the rules and the setup of FBS is going to force Army (and BYU) into making a tough decision. Stay independent and get left out, or join a conference. ND already has a pseudo-conference alignment, so they don't have the same concern.

Yeah I agree I could easily see Army joining a league soon and the obvious league choice would be the AAC. If Army would join the league could add UMASS as well and then you'd actually have a decently legit northeast presence again.
05-13-2013 12:31 PM
jam2112 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
If Air Force jumps to the American, where would they put their other sports?
05-13-2013 12:31 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(05-13-2013 12:31 PM)jam2112 Wrote:  If Air Force jumps to the American, where would they put their other sports?

MVC?
05-13-2013 12:33 PM
Advertisement

SDSU-Alum2003 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: San Diego State
I had always thought that the sevice academies would and should end up in the same conference. Will the American be the landing spot; it might be; time will tell. It makes sense to me. If Air Force does make the jump I certainly wish they would have decided to move when SDSU and Boise State were still on board.
05-13-2013 12:33 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa

Since they now know the conference lineup and with there appearing to be some stability with the ACC GoR, both Army and Air Force could be ready to look at their options, where they were unwilling to jump into the great unknown previously (esp. Air Force, who also needs an Olympic sports home if they move). Army could have decided based on this conference alignment that they can be reasonably competitive as well.
05-13-2013 12:34 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(05-13-2013 12:33 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 12:31 PM)jam2112 Wrote:  If Air Force jumps to the American, where would they put their other sports?

MVC?

Nope..... Summit League.

That said, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of getting AFA to jump.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 12:44 PM by blunderbuss.)
05-13-2013 12:37 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2013 12:34 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

Since they now know the conference lineup and with there appearing to be some stability with the ACC GoR, both Army and Air Force could be ready to look at their options, where they were unwilling to jump into the great unknown previously (esp. Air Force, who also needs an Olympic sports home if they move). Army could have decided based on this conference alignment that they can be reasonably competitive as well.

Well if that's really the reason than I'd think we can count on them not coming ---
05-13-2013 12:45 PM
mwp1023 Offline
Special Teams

Colorado sure does fit better than San Diego or Boise Idaho did....

AF may like playing CSU and Wyoming, but not as much as Army and Navy.

[Image: 250px-American_Athletic_Conference_Map.png]
05-13-2013 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

AFA is no worse in this league than UTEP was in C-USA.

Does the AAC go to 9 conference games if this happens?

Do you put all the Academies in the same division? Or Geographic, but guarantee permanent cross overs?
05-13-2013 12:58 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(05-13-2013 12:54 PM)mwp1023 Wrote:  Colorado sure does fit better than San Diego or Boise Idaho did....

AF may like playing CSU and Wyoming, but not as much as Army and Navy.

[Image: 250px-American_Athletic_Conference_Map.png]

IF AFA and West Point are addied the AAC is only a Mississippi/Ark and Georgia/Alabama school away from continuous. Honestly never expected that.
05-13-2013 01:03 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(05-13-2013 12:12 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Not going to name my source (suffice to say, there is one, and it's a lot more reliable than tuxedo yoda, or 'neers fan or whatever), but it appears the talks among the AAC presidents and AD's are including Army and Air Force Academy, to come in with Navy in 2015 (projected, though the conversation implied it could happen in 2014).
    Things to take away from this:
  • The timing of these moves coincides with the expiration of the Army-Navy game rights (more or less). A move like this would put the rights to the Army-Navy-AFA games under the AAC, and thus ESPN. That = $$$$, enough to negate the Playoff revenue loss from going to 14.
  • With the MAC renegotiating their contract with ESPN at the halfway point, 2017 is the halfway point for our tv deal. Maintain the current exposure, with a stable line-up of teams and that can also = $$$$
  • No word yet on anything relevant to adding 1 to 3 BBall only teams to complement the Academies. It would make sense, in my opinion, to add them IF AND ONLY IF they bring positive net gain to the conference. This could mean anything from reducing travel expenditures, to gathering new markets, to luring eyeballs.

I plan to ask about the BBall additions ASAP.

I could see Army, but Air Force won't work. Moreover, it turned down the former Big East. Air Force stated it wanted to stay with Colorado St. Consequently, it would require an actual western division; thus, the AAC would have to expand to 16 schools to make it realistically work:

[Image: 800px-Mountain_West_for_2012-13.png]

West Division: Air Force, Colorado St, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico/UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane

East Division: Army, ECU, Navy, Temple, UC, UCF, UCONN, USF

[Image: 800px-American_Athletic_Conference_Map.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 01:09 PM by Underdog.)
05-13-2013 01:04 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Air Force, Army, and Navy already play each other.
05-13-2013 01:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.