Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Senate turns down gun legislation
Bookmark and Share
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Senate turns down gun legislation
Not terribly surprised at the ammo or "military style" component begin defeated, but background checks?
04-17-2013 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: Senate turns down gun legislation
You can't negotiate with people whose ultimate goal is a complete ban on firearms.

Criminals aren't going to follow the new laws anyways.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 05:59 PM by GSU Eagles.)
04-17-2013 05:58 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

The background checks were forcing private parties to submit to a background check through a FFL.

Right now, all sales from a FFL require a background check whereas private sales do not.

The problem is there would be absolutely no way to enforce that restriction without a national registry or other invasive procedures.

The law, as written, would have made too many people criminals for rudimentary acts, and actual criminals would not have been affected.

I do think ALL vendors at gun shows should require a FFL (they may now, I'm not sure and am ignorant to current gun show laws) and that would effectively close whatever "gun show loophole" some people talk about.

edit: I actually liked the part of the bill that said people who had a CCL would not have to undergo a background check and wished that went through.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 06:04 PM by Tiguar.)
04-17-2013 06:02 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
From what I heard/understood, this would not require checks for private sales.
04-17-2013 07:11 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(04-17-2013 07:11 PM)CatMom Wrote:  From what I heard/understood, this would not require checks for private sales.

Then what would it change, if that was your understanding?
04-17-2013 07:11 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(04-17-2013 07:11 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  
(04-17-2013 07:11 PM)CatMom Wrote:  From what I heard/understood, this would not require checks for private sales.

In actuality, not a whole lot.
I also thought this was the discussion/vote to even get to a debate about the proposal which, BTW, was co-written by a very conservative Republican and Democrat.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 07:15 PM by CatMom.)
04-17-2013 07:14 PM
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

(04-17-2013 07:14 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

I also thought this was the discussion/vote to even get to a debate about the proposal which, BTW, was co-written by a very conservative Republican and Democrat.
Yeah, I thought it was the cloture(sp?).

I read the law and it had some private sale stuff but excluded family transfers, I could be mistaking what was voted on today for something else though.

What I'm thinking of was overall pretty benign all things considered and even threw gun owners a bone with the CCL thing.
04-17-2013 07:17 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(04-17-2013 07:17 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  
(04-17-2013 07:14 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

Yeah, I thought it was the cloture(sp?).

I read the law and it had some private sale stuff but excluded family transfers, I could be mistaking what was voted on today for something else though.

What I'm thinking of was overall pretty benign all things considered and even threw gun owners a bone with the CCL thing.

I have to agree with your last sentence. The problem is that most of those that voted no are from gun toting, hunting states.
The second they started mentioning this, every squirrel hunter in the US was figuratively up in arms that someone was going to knock on their door, bust in and take all their guns.

We havd a German Luger (from WWII) a .22 and an Italian double barrel in our house but I'm all for at least trying something.

Money, SIGs and the NRA are more important than citizens' opinions and safety of constituants (or, at least the appearance of such)....and it's not just on this issue
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 07:38 PM by CatMom.)
04-17-2013 07:36 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You're right. Technically the vote was to avoid the filibuster, but either way, still defeated.
04-17-2013 10:22 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Guys, we are moving to more controls on firearms. Be unreasonable now and watch the next proposals be more restrictive.
04-19-2013 02:29 PM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(04-17-2013 06:02 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  The background checks were forcing private parties to submit to a background check through a FFL.

Right now, all sales from a FFL require a background check whereas private sales do not.

The problem is there would be absolutely no way to enforce that restriction without a national registry or other invasive procedures.

The law, as written, would have made too many people criminals for rudimentary acts, and actual criminals would not have been affected.

I do think ALL vendors at gun shows should require a FFL (they may now, I'm not sure and am ignorant to current gun show laws) and that would effectively close whatever "gun show loophole" some people talk about.

edit: I actually liked the part of the bill that said people who had a CCL would not have to undergo a background check and wished that went through.

Couple of things:

There is no "gun show loophole". Only FFL holders display at gunshows, so all the sales are subject to background checks. They just call it the "gun show loophole" to make ignorant people scared of gunshows.

Second, I have a CCL, and I don't have to get a background check now. Don't know how state laws would make a difference in Federal background checks, but that's the way it is in Georgia.
04-19-2013 03:08 PM
Advertisement

Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(04-19-2013 02:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Guys, we are moving to more controls on firearms. Be unreasonable now and watch the next proposals be more restrictive.

No, the next round will be more reasonable - like a ban on clips/drums that carry more than 30 rounds for rifles, or 15 rounds for pistols. They need to get that back in place first and then worry about lowering the numbers later.
04-19-2013 03:10 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(04-19-2013 03:10 PM)Panthersville Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 02:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Guys, we are moving to more controls on firearms. Be unreasonable now and watch the next proposals be more restrictive.

No, the next round will be more reasonable - like a ban on clips/drums that carry more than 30 rounds for rifles, or 15 rounds for pistols. They need to get that back in place first and then worry about lowering the numbers later.

Yeah let them go for it.

I already have all of my 40 and 30 round magazines. 04-rock
04-19-2013 03:14 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-19-2013 03:08 PM)Panthersville Wrote:  
(04-17-2013 06:02 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  The background checks were forcing private parties to submit to a background check through a FFL.

Second, I have a CCL, and I don't have to get a background check now. Don't know how state laws would make a difference in Federal background checks, but that's the way it is in Georgia.

Wow, and I thought Alabama was lax.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 03:38 PM by BLEEDITRED.)
04-19-2013 03:38 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I know there is no "gun show" loophole.

I also know I was offered by a vendor to pay $1500 cash for an M1A "no background check, no questions asked".

I get its a private transaction.

Quote: Guys, we are moving to more controls on firearms. Be unreasonable now and watch the next proposals be more restrictive.

Your logic is awful.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 08:06 PM by Tiguar.)
04-20-2013 08:05 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-20-2013 08:05 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  I know there is no "gun show" loophole.

I also know I was offered by a vendor to pay $1500 cash for an M1A "no background check, no questions asked".

Quote: Guys, we are moving to more controls on firearms. Be unreasonable now and watch the next proposals be more restrictive.

Your logic is awful.

I happen to believe that the NRA and GOA's blocking of reasonable gun control mechanisms (as well as a demand for complete orthodoxy from elected officials) will eventually result in a political environment where the majority has nothing to lose by ignoring the NRA/GOA.

You are free to disagree. Pressure is building for gun control. You can either let it build up or try to gently reduce it.
04-21-2013 01:10 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2013 01:10 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-20-2013 08:05 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  I know there is no "gun show" loophole.

Your logic is awful.

I happen to believe that the NRA and GOA's blocking of reasonable gun control mechanisms (as well as a demand for complete orthodoxy from elected officials) will eventually result in a political environment where the majority has nothing to lose by ignoring the NRA/GOA.

You are free to disagree. Pressure is building for gun control. You can either let it build up or try to gently reduce it.

Pressure may be building significantly in New York City, LA, San Francisco, CBS news, CNN, MSNBC etc, but that has zero impact and influence on a Senator's vote in GA, AL etc which is what matters as far as changing laws. This is an issue that is decided state by state no matter how much more important Bloomberg thinks he is than the rest of the country. A perfect example of why our founders created two Senators from each state no matter the size.

Oh well, all of this recently motivated me to drop a few grand on guns I don't need and may not even get around to shooting. I am going to buy a few assault rifles as well just for the hell of it. Never really had much interest until this debate started. They knew they didn't have the votes but pushed ahead anyway which just put tons more guns in circulation. The ammo and gun factories are running 24 hours and still can't keep up with demand.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 04:15 PM by GSU Eagles.)
04-21-2013 02:45 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Always have found it absolutely hilarious that the Pubs are adamant against back ground checks on guns, but are 100% all in on drug testing welfare recipients. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.
04-22-2013 07:00 AM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-22-2013 07:00 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  Always have found it absolutely hilarious that the Pubs are adamant against back ground checks on guns, but are 100% all in on drug testing welfare recipients. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.
[/align]
Exactly. Does anyone really want any of these rubes on this site to be able to own a gun without a background check? Dios mio, man.
04-24-2013 07:52 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I love how all of Hollywood wants to ban guns, yet they want to produce violent films glorifying gun violence. Not that I think movies should be controlled or limited, but it is a bit hypocritical of Hollywood. Even the Boston marathon bomber gave a shout out to some of their work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbTvX3Br...ata_player
04-24-2013 08:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.