Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Old Big East hoops deal with CBS through 2020
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
Old Big East hoops deal with CBS through 2020
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 18m

Old Big East announces hoops deal w/CBS thru 2019-20 season. Features up to 12 games annually on CBS
Retweeted by Andy Katz
03-26-2013 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
RE: Old Big East hoops deal with CBS through 2020
http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Ar...ports.aspx

Quote:The contract includes up to 12 appearances per season. Half of the appearances each season will be conference games. CBS Sports retains the right to have the first selections among conference, non-conference and neutral site games. Financial terms of the agreement were not announced.
03-26-2013 11:02 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
wow, so like UConn/Cincy UConn/Memphis, etc. would be easy choices. Also like next year Louisville/Memphis will be a lock.
03-26-2013 11:06 AM
pzz189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
(03-26-2013 11:06 AM)stever20 Wrote:  wow, so like UConn/Cincy UConn/Memphis, etc. would be easy choices. Also like next year Louisville/Memphis will be a lock.

Temple should be in the spotlight too...
03-26-2013 11:10 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-26-2013 11:10 AM)pzz189 Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 11:06 AM)stever20 Wrote:  wow, so like UConn/Cincy UConn/Memphis, etc. would be easy choices. Also like next year Louisville/Memphis will be a lock.

yeah. Would venture a guess the 6 conference games would be
1- Louisville/Memphis(biggest lock out there)
2- Louisville/UConn
3- Louisville/Cincy
4- UConn/Memphis
5- UConn/Temple
6- Memphis/Temple
03-26-2013 11:18 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
You might think the 12 number is a great number for college basketball, but just a reminder.. that's not a lot in the overall number of games you play as a college squad.

Note the agreement only says "games", not "conference games"... considering most schools have somewhere around 30 games. Unless you're one of the top name draws, odds are you're not getting on TV.

CBS / C-USA's agreement had something like up to 15 games (or something like that, I forget the number). Memphis vs. OOC games were somewhere around 10 or 11 of them, leaving the rest of the conference to share 3 or 4 game broadcasts.
03-26-2013 12:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-26-2013 12:34 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  You might think the 12 number is a great number for college basketball, but just a reminder.. that's not a lot in the overall number of games you play as a college squad.

Note the agreement only says "games", not "conference games"...
It says half are conference games, which implies 6 conference games and 6 non conference (Big TBA Home) games. And it says "up to", which implies 6/6 MAXIMUM, not 6/6 guaranteed. For one thing, if there is more raiding, CBS will surely scale back from 12 games.

Quote: considering most schools have somewhere around 30 games. Unless you're one of the top name draws, odds are you're not getting on TV.
Yes, this is normal for a Tier 1 broadcast rights agreement ~ not very many games, substantially more per game than the Tier 2 cable rights agreement already in place with ESPN.

Six of the most appealing Big TBA conference games on CBS, like stever20 said, six of the most appealing out of conference home games on CBS, the majority of schools are likely to not make CBS in any given year: for instance, Houston and SMU were not added from CUSA for how pretty their basketball arenas would look on broadcast TV.

Quote: CBS / C-USA's agreement had something like up to 15 games (or something like that, I forget the number). Memphis vs. OOC games were somewhere around 10 or 11 of them, leaving the rest of the conference to share 3 or 4 game broadcasts.
Yes, most of Big East BB is going to be on ESPN, not CBS. Its likely that every school is guaranteed at least one home game on cable ... since ESPN had to match the NBC Sports Network offer ... but certainly there would be no guarantees regarding getting on ESPN (~100m households) and ESPN2 (~90m households), so some schools are likely to only ever show up on ESPNU and ESPN3.
03-26-2013 12:55 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(03-26-2013 11:18 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

2- Louisville/UConn
3- Louisville/Cincy
4- UConn/Memphis
5- UConn/Temple
6- Memphis/Temple

this is why it sucks to see Louisville leaving. I've been savoring over watching L'Ville vs Memphis 2x annually in the Big East.
03-26-2013 12:57 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston

2- Louisville/UConn
3- Louisville/Cincy
4- UConn/Memphis
5- UConn/Temple
6- Memphis/Temple

12 appearances but half are nonconference. All CBS OTA

So 3 conference games, and 6 noncon games.
03-26-2013 01:07 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-26-2013 11:02 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Ar...ports.aspx

Quote:The contract includes up to 12 appearances per season. Half of the appearances each season will be conference games. CBS Sports retains the right to have the first selections among conference, non-conference and neutral site games. Financial terms of the agreement were not announced.

Weird to see that announcement on the Big East website.

Both leagues need to get their sh!t together and get separate offices, names, everything set up quickly. For example, this announcement would have given the Aresco league more of a "branding" benefit if they had the new league name and logo in place before making the announcement.

By the way, if it's like the agreement that the old Big East had with CBS, then CBS can only show a particular matchup once a year unless ESPN passes -- for example, if Louisville plays Memphis in hoops twice next season, CBS could show one of those two games and ESPN would have the option to show the other.
03-26-2013 01:46 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-26-2013 01:07 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  

2- Louisville/UConn
3- Louisville/Cincy
4- UConn/Memphis
5- UConn/Temple
6- Memphis/Temple

12 appearances but half are nonconference. All CBS OTA

So 3 conference games, and 6 noncon games.

I think appearance means game. So a conference game counts for 1 appearance. Don't think they would be doing it for only 3 conference games.
03-26-2013 01:52 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2013 01:52 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think appearance means game. So a conference game counts for 1 appearance. Don't think they would be doing it for only 3 conference games.
Yup, appearances means games ~ up to twelve games hosted by Big TBA schools (rights are by home team), half non-conference opponents, half conference opponents.
03-26-2013 02:03 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(03-26-2013 02:03 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 01:52 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think appearance means game. So a conference game counts for 1 appearance. Don't think they would be doing it for only 3 conference games.
Yup, appearances means games ~ up to twelve games hosted by Big TBA schools (rights are by home team), half non-conference opponents, half conference opponents.

No. Appearances mean appearances. 1 conference game = 2 appearances.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2013/...tball.html

And it doesn't even mean a conference-controlled (i.e. home) game. It could be a game where Memphis plays at Ohio State. Or one where UConn plays in the Maui Invitational.
03-26-2013 02:06 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(03-26-2013 02:06 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

And it doesn't even mean a conference-controlled (i.e. home) game. It could be a game where Memphis plays at Ohio State. Or one where UConn plays in the Maui Invitational.

No, the big ten and its tv partners owns the rights to Ohio states home games
03-26-2013 02:16 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

You are right on the appearances from what I can tell.

however- it does not mean non-conference controlled. If Memphis plays at Ohio St, and that's shown on CBS- that counts towards the Big Ten. Does NOTHING with the Big East.

Last year BE got 13 appearances- 6 conference games and 1 OOC game.
03-26-2013 02:19 PM
CardFan1 Online
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Look for most games involving Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, and Temple to be shown on national TV by someone anyway as these are some of the best Basketball programs of the last 20 years.
03-26-2013 02:21 PM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(03-26-2013 02:16 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 02:06 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

No, the big ten and its tv partners owns the rights to Ohio states home games

It was a hypothetical. If that game was on CBS, C-TBA would get credit for it as an "appearance."
03-26-2013 02:27 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I guess that leaves the East Carolina vs. Houston matchup for ESPNU or the deuce which is still way better than what we're getting now.
03-26-2013 02:30 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-26-2013 02:19 PM)stever20 Wrote:  You are right on the appearances from what I can tell.

however- it does not mean non-conference controlled. If Memphis plays at Ohio St, and that's shown on CBS- that counts towards the Big Ten. Does NOTHING with the Big East.

That's the part I'm not sure of Steve.. we had some Memphis games @ their opponents that were on TV, and I think they counted as 'appearances'. There was no "Home appearance/away appearance" it was just 'appearances'.

Basically, it's just a "don't get too excited by those numbers" if you're looking for your team to be on TV often.
03-26-2013 02:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh, those silly marketers. So its a maximum of nine broadcast games, maximum three in-conference, six out of conference.

Out of:
UConn / UC
UConn / Temple
UConn / Memphis
UC / Temple
UC / Memphis
Temple / Memphis

... several of those home and away in any given year, I reckon they'll easily find three. Plus Louisville in that mix next year.

And with the plummeting conference RPI from adding schools like Houston, SMU, Tulane and ECU to replace schools like Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, Marquette and Nova, the name schools of the presently no-name conference will be scrambling to toughen up their OOC schedules, so there should be some interesting out of conference games to pick up.

Indeed, kind of "for every two of our out of conference games you pick up, you have to show one of our conference games."

(03-26-2013 02:06 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  And it doesn't even mean a conference-controlled (i.e. home) game. It could be a game where Memphis plays at Ohio State. Or one where UConn plays in the Maui Invitational.
It could only be a neutral site game if the neutral site game agreement allowed for it (as it would for an in-conference neutral site game). It can't be an away game: the home school typically owns the rights, so the conference of the away school can't sell them, without the home team's permission.

(03-26-2013 02:41 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  That's the part I'm not sure of Steve.. we had some Memphis games @ their opponents that were on TV, and I think they counted as 'appearances'. There was no "Home appearance/away appearance" it was just 'appearances'.
That could well happen ~ the home team could agree in a conference where a broadcast game is allowed to trump a cable network partner. It wouldn't have been an away game to a Big Ten team ~ any rights on Big Ten championship sports not picked up by ABC/ESPN are owned by the Big Ten Network, and with the Grant of Rights, a Big Ten team can't make a separate side deal on the rights.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 02:51 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-26-2013 02:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.