Maybe this is why Georgetown doesn't want VCU around. 05-stirthepot
03-02-2013 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: VCU - Butler
Where did you get the idea that is the reason G'town is afraid to have VCU join the BIG East? I am not knocking down VCU for their victory over Butler that is not strong this year. However, I would like to see VCU them Beat Syracuse(away in front of 35k), Louisville, Marquette, Cincy(away), Nottre Dame (away)and UConn (away) all in the same season. Afraid, I think not.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 04:45 PM by HoyaAnt.)
03-02-2013 04:43 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(03-02-2013 04:43 PM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  Where did you get the idea that is the reason G'town is afraid to have VCU join the BIG East? I am not knocking down VCU for their victory over Butler that is not strong this year. However, I would like to see VCU them Beat Syracuse(away in front of 35k), Louisville, Marquette, Cincy(away), Nottre Dame (away)and UConn (away) all in the same season. Afraid, I think not.

It seemed to me like he was joking.
03-02-2013 04:59 PM
gorams05 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Vcu
(03-02-2013 04:43 PM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  Where did you get the idea that is the reason G'town is afraid to have VCU join the BIG East? I am not knocking down VCU for their victory over Butler that is not strong this year. However, I would like to see VCU them Beat Syracuse(away in front of 35k), Louisville, Marquette, Cincy(away), Nottre Dame (away)and UConn (away) all in the same season. Afraid, I think not.

Remember the last time we meet?
03-02-2013 05:44 PM
HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

Wow, you beat us two years ago...So, according to you, VCU owns Georgetown and will beat us every time you play us..hahha. If you you believe that, then I have this Bridge out in Brooklyn I want to sell you!
03-02-2013 07:00 PM
Advertisement

gorams05 Offline
Water Engineer

We would beat you most of the time. I'm sure you would have a hard time believing that. I really don't care, we love beating up on teams who have an overinflated view of themselves.
03-02-2013 07:11 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(03-02-2013 07:11 PM)gorams05 Wrote:  We would beat you most of the time. I'm sure you would have a hard time believing that. I really don't care, we love beating up on teams who have an overinflated view of themselves.

So you guys would love playing against yourselvesCOGS
03-02-2013 07:19 PM
gorams05 Offline
Water Engineer

I'm done... Maybe we will meet in the tournament.
03-02-2013 07:24 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(03-02-2013 07:24 PM)gorams05 Wrote:  I'm done... Maybe we will meet in the tournament.

04-cheers I have no beef with VCU, if you guys were a private school you'd already have gotten the invite.
03-02-2013 07:28 PM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn

I was kidding. Lighten up.

On a more serious note. Butler isn't strong this year? They're in the top 20.

Just curious. Why do you think that your school prefers Richmond over VCU? If it were simply a matter of lining up the best programs, it would be a no brainer. VCU is better. Programs from better markets? Same but VCU literally has 10 times the enrollment and draws from instate rather than from outside the region. I frankly don't get the Georgetown preference for a tiny school like Richmond.
03-02-2013 07:34 PM
gorams05 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-02-2013 07:28 PM)ivet Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 07:24 PM)gorams05 Wrote:  I'm done... Maybe we will meet in the tournament.

04-cheers I have no beef with VCU, if you guys were a private school you'd already have gotten the invite.

I know.. It just sucks. We have a really good basketball program. Im just irritated that we are likely getting left out based on the fact we are a public university. We have a lot to bring to the table.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 07:37 PM by gorams05.)
03-02-2013 07:36 PM
HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

(03-02-2013 07:34 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  [quote='HoyaAnt' pid='9034749' dateline='1362260612']
Where did you get the idea that is the reason G'town is afraid to have VCU join the BIG East? I am not knocking down VCU for their victory over Butler that is not strong this year. However, I would like to see VCU them Beat Syracuse(away in front of 35k), Louisville, Marquette, Cincy(away), Nottre Dame (away)and UConn (away) all in the same season. Afraid, I think not.

Just curious. Why do you think that your school prefers Richmond over VCU? If it were simply a matter of lining up the best programs, it would be a no brainer. VCU is better. Programs from better markets? Same but VCU literally has 10 times the enrollment and draws from instate rather than from outside the region. I frankly don't get the Georgetown preference for a tiny school like Richmond.
[/qu

The majority Hoya Fans would prefer VCU over Richmond hands down. Its the president of Gtown who is lobbying for Richmond due to having close ties with them.This is why I am glad to read that Fox is playing a major role i picking schools to join the conference. If fox has its way on having a 14 school league, there is no doubt VCU will get picked up. However, the main concerned for some would be, How long will Smart stick around before he entertains higher offers to coach else where?
03-02-2013 07:45 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(03-02-2013 07:45 PM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 07:34 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  [quote='HoyaAnt' pid='9034749' dateline='1362260612']

[/qu

The majority Hoya Fans would prefer VCU over Richmond hands down. Its the president of Gtown who is lobbying for Richmond due to having close ties with them.This is why I am glad to read that Fox is playing a major role i picking schools to join the conference. If fox has its way on having a 14 school league, there is no doubt VCU will get picked up. However, the main concerned for some would be, How long will Smart stick around before he entertains higher offers to coach else where?

I knew you had a lot of smart guys down there at Georgetown. I'm glad to see that the fan base is on board with VCU.

Smart has already resisted a number of big time offers. So, he seems to be content to staying for a while. I think that's really smart of him because he's built a base for success. He's a young guy who will have lots of opportunity for a big pay day down the road. Elevation of the program to,this level could be just the thing to keep him around for a long time.

I have confidence that they will continue to do well because they seem to have a serious commitment to the program
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 08:06 PM by Melky Cabrera.)
03-02-2013 08:05 PM
Advertisement

gorams05 Offline
Water Engineer

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...-will-lose

Smart, Theus and the rest of the team have been paying attention to the realignment talk. They are well aware of the reports that Butler and Xavier are leaving to join the Catholic Seven or Basketball Seven -- or whatever you want to call the seven teams that split off from the Big East to form their own league. They are also cognizant of the fact that Dayton and Saint Louis have also been rumored to be in the mix for additional spots, should they pluck more schools out of the A-10.

VCU? It's been a virtual afterthought.

"We can still change their minds," Theus said with a smile.

The new Big East should look long and hard at VCU. This is a program with avid fans that have filled up the 7,700-seat facility 34 consecutive times, boasts one of the top young coaches in the nation and a plays a style that's about as entertaining as any.

"The best thing we can do is win games," Smart said before the game about the league uncertainty.

VCU has done that 23 times this season and is 11-3 in its inaugural season in the A-10 after coming from the CAA. This was an old-fashioned shellacking, a mismatch in which VCU was able to overwhelm the Bulldogs with its athleticism and pressure. The game was literally over when the two teams went into the break at the half, but this was just one contest. It would be a shame if this winds up being the only time these two guys meet in a conference matchup, but it's certainly the way it looks right now.
03-02-2013 08:06 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
it's going to be very interesting to see if today's game has any lasting impact. To me, to not take VCU is just absurd. I mean- I could see 20 years from now a game with Butler and VCU- with Stevens and Smart playing the roles of Calhoun and Boeheim of today. And, that atmosphere in the Siegel Center- what more could you ask for?
03-03-2013 12:52 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(03-03-2013 12:52 AM)stever20 Wrote:  it's going to be very interesting to see if today's game has any lasting impact.

No. It was a regular season game.

Now if we do take VCU, this becomes the second chapter in what could be a great new-era Big East rivalry.

Quote:To me, to not take VCU is just absurd. I mean- I could see 20 years from now a game with Butler and VCU- with Stevens and Smart playing the roles of Calhoun and Boeheim of today. And, that atmosphere in the Siegel Center- what more could you ask for?

I fully agree. But I already did. The game didn't change anything. VCU is still public, and we'll either take them or not. A rematch in the A-10 tournament won't matter either.

A rematch in the Sweet Sixteen might.
03-03-2013 09:19 AM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
I sure hope the BE7 isn't making decision based on one game unless it's the national championship game or Final Four. That would be extremely short sighted, the teams should be picked based on a long body of work, not just how a team did one weekend.
03-03-2013 12:06 PM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

Of course it will be the overall body of work and VCU has that over the past 10 years. But if it's a close call, little things become the tie breakers.

Richmond isn't doing anything to help themselves this year and VCU is enhancing an already strong body of work with a win like yesterday's.
03-03-2013 12:34 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(03-03-2013 12:06 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  I sure hope the BE7 isn't making decision based on one game unless it's the national championship game or Final Four. That would be extremely short sighted, the teams should be picked based on a long body of work, not just how a team did one weekend.

true, but the 1 game does just reinforce everything good about VCU right now. In bracketology terms, they passed the eyeball test if you will.
03-03-2013 12:35 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
Just have to point out after watching most of the 1st half of that game, VCU sure gets away with a lot of mugging the opposing team's ball-handler up the court w/ their pressure. I was surprised by how much grabbing, reaching, and just plain hacking they can get away with at home. I bet it would be fair to assume a lot of their success in tough games rides on how closely the refs call the game. Not sure how if that style would hold up in the new league. I know everyone does it, but I thought it was getting a bit ridiculous how much the refs were clearly ignoring the bumps, reaches, and grabs that were creating all the turnovers.

Fans were great though. I sometimes wish Marquette and the other schools would play in something closer to 12,000 than 20,000.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 05:22 PM by aughnanure.)
03-03-2013 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.