Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LOL at the meltdown
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
LOL at the meltdown
The Big East name has been ran through the mud AND the nBE was going to lose MSG to TC7 after the contract anyway. This is a win-win
03-01-2013 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jlbphila Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofM
RE: LOL at the meltdown
(03-01-2013 09:36 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  The Big East name has been ran through the mud AND the nBE was going to lose MSG to TC7 after the contract anyway. This is a win-win

Amen.

In Memphis it's as if nobody knew the C7 was leaving. Frankly, I'm glad they're leaving now and taking the name. Nobody was ever going to think of this league as the BIG EAST in a traditional sense. Nobody thought it was a good idea to have SMU, Houston, Memphis, USF, UCF, etc... play their basketball tournament in MSG.

Best to take a big chunk of $$$ and start over. New TV contract, very competitive football league, good basketball (as long as Cincy, UConn, Temple and Memphis stick around).

I'd be interested in some proactive expansion (UMass, Tulsa), including some non FBS (VCU, Wichita State) to guard against the next raid.
03-01-2013 09:47 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
"WE ARE DOOMED!!"
03-01-2013 09:51 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-01-2013 09:47 AM)jlbphila Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 09:36 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  The Big East name has been ran through the mud AND the nBE was going to lose MSG to TC7 after the contract anyway. This is a win-win

Amen.

In Memphis it's as if nobody knew the C7 was leaving. Frankly, I'm glad they're leaving now and taking the name. Nobody was ever going to think of this league as the BIG EAST in a traditional sense. Nobody thought it was a good idea to have SMU, Houston, Memphis, USF, UCF, etc... play theiIr basketball tournament in MSG.

Best to take a big chunk of $$$ and start over. New TV contract, very competitive football league, good basketball (as long as Cincy, UConn, Temple and Memphis stick around).

I'd be interested in some proactive expansion (UMass, Tulsa), including some non FBS (VCU, Wichita State) to guard against the next raid.

Lol.....losing the name is great? Really? Sure, because ESPN would never make fun of the new league with no name. You guys are ridiculous. Under this line of thinking, you'd call losing an arm great because you lost weight. Whats next, a thread about how great it is we dont have a contract bowl?
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 09:56 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-01-2013 09:52 AM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!
I am more upset about the money than the name.

Andvthevattitude of a few fans of the old guard.
03-01-2013 09:57 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Yankees ruin everything

they need to keep this new conference in the south.
03-01-2013 10:00 AM
Advertisement

MiddleTiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-01-2013 09:52 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Amen.

In Memphis it's as if nobody knew the C7 was leaving. Frankly, I'm glad they're leaving now and taking the name. Nobody was ever going to think of this league as the BIG EAST in a traditional sense. Nobody thought it was a good idea to have SMU, Houston, Memphis, USF, UCF, etc... play theiIr basketball tournament in MSG.

Lol.....losing the name is great? Really? Sure, because ESPN would never make fun of the new league with no name. You guys are ridiculous. Under this line of thinking, you'd call losing an arm great because you lost weight. Whats next, a thread about how great it is we dont have a contract bowl?

ESPN has to invest $2M to promote the new league so I doubt they will make fun of it. The Big East football brand was considered garbage by the vast majority of college football fans, good riddance.
03-01-2013 10:01 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-01-2013 10:01 AM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  

Amen.

ESPN has to invest $2M to promote the new league so I doubt they will make fun of it. The Big East football brand was considered garbage by the vast majority of college football fans, good riddance.

ESPN pays 35 million for the league right now (which is far more than 20 million plus the measly 2 extra million for advertising) and that doesn't stop them from constantly beating up on the league. A name change isn't going to stop that---- If anything, it probably just gives them new material.

Hopefully our presidents will put a stop to both the name change and the ESPN contract, but since we don't have a real vote, they may not be able to do much. By the way, that awful Big East brand brought us one of the best recruiting classes we have had in decades.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 10:15 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-01-2013 10:11 AM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

Totally agree. Drama queen central around here. Talk of Houston and SMU going to the MWC, is funny as hell, thats not happening.
03-01-2013 10:14 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-01-2013 10:01 AM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 09:52 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  [quote='jlbphila' pid='9027732' dateline='1362149272']
[quote='PurpleReigns2012' pid='9027643' dateline='1362148566']

Amen.

You do realize the 2 mil is about the amount of $$$ ESPN takes in every 10 seconds. Hell ESPN 1 alone gets 5 bil per year in cable fees alone.
03-01-2013 10:16 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Despite all this Tulsa southern miss and anyone else in cusa would join in a heartbeat
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 10:20 AM by panicstricken.)
03-01-2013 10:16 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(03-01-2013 09:57 AM)egrizzard Wrote:  I am more upset about the money than the name.

Me too.
03-01-2013 10:22 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Good point. The Big East name has not meant much in football even when all of the teams that just left were in it (basketball is the major difference, though).
03-01-2013 10:32 AM
don41 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Ditto
03-01-2013 10:39 AM
jlbphila Offline
1st String

Amen.

Nothing about this situation is "great" - what I'm saying is I can make a good argument for either side in the debate to keep or sell the name.

Frankly it all depends on how successfully they re-brand and get creative about how to sell this thing to fans moving forward.

If they truly do have a tv deal in hand that maximizes exposure and do something outside the box on the league name (NikeLeague or FedExLeague) to increase revenue, then I'm going to feel real good about it.

If the tv deal doesn't generate excitement / exposure and they come up with something lame like National Eastern Conference - then, yes, I'll be a little bummed.

Either way, at the end of the day it's about winning games, selling tickets.
03-01-2013 10:39 AM
GTG Offline
Banned

I Root For: no BCS

Amen.

In Memphis it's as if nobody knew the C7 was leaving. Frankly, I'm glad they're leaving now and taking the name. Nobody was ever going to think of this league as the BIG EAST in a traditional sense. Nobody thought it was a good idea to have SMU, Houston, Memphis, USF, UCF, etc... play their basketball tournament in MSG.

What the hell are you smoking?
03-01-2013 10:44 AM
Advertisement

jlbphila Offline
1st String

(03-01-2013 10:44 AM)GTG Wrote:  

Amen.

What the hell are you smoking?

I haven't smoked weed since 2004, so I'm thinking fairly clearly. All I want is a good, competitive league -in both sports- w/ rivalries that play on TV.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 10:51 AM by jlbphila.)
03-01-2013 10:47 AM
RowdyRoost Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-01-2013 10:16 AM)panicstricken Wrote:  Despite all this Tulsa southern miss and anyone else in cusa would join in a heartbeat

While I have advocated Southern Miss joining the Big East for quite sometime... I can no longer agree with your sentiment. Why pay $8.5 million to leave C-USA and join a conference with no brand while only receiving an extra $500,000 per year from the tv contract? Makes no financial sense. Also, we'd be stepping back to playing mid-week games (which kill attendance). Personally, I'd rather play La Tech on a Saturday than USF on a Tuesday. Just sayin....

Both conferences are stuck in the crapper. We've all been screwed over. And we're all trying to make the best of the situation. Each school has to make the decision to take chances or stay firm. I certainly understand those departing schools from C-USA taking the chance when they did. Southern Miss would have jumped back then. But, I don't envy ECU, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF and Tulane's positions now. Might as well just save a bunch of money... collect the exit fees of those departing... and try and build C-USA.
03-01-2013 10:54 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

The C7 is going to get booted out of MSG too. The ACC means to have that arena and they are going to get it.
03-01-2013 11:14 AM
pharaoh0 Offline
Triggered by Microaggressions

I Root For: Duke, L'ville
(03-01-2013 11:14 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

The C7 is going to get booted out of MSG too. The ACC means to have that arena and they are going to get it.

They may have to rotate. There is no way the Tobacco Road schools allow every to be outside of NC.
03-01-2013 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.