Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio St AD says B1G not aggressively pursuing expansion
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Ohio St AD says B1G not aggressively pursuing expansion
So... nevermind about the B1G raiding anyone for a while. Right?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...ealignment
02-25-2013 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Ohio St AD says B1G not aggressively pursuing expansion
I remember the ACC commissioner saying something similar just before they sent invites to Syracuse and Pitt...
02-25-2013 04:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(02-25-2013 04:53 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I remember the ACC commissioner saying something similar just before they sent invites to Syracuse and Pitt...

..and Slive said realignment was a back burner issue on low in summer 2011.

It might be truth, it might be lie, but none of us will really know right now. These public statements won't let any cat out of the bag either way.
02-25-2013 05:04 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-25-2013 04:53 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I remember the ACC commissioner saying something similar just before they sent invites to Syracuse and Pitt...

Bit....to bring it even closer...remember in September 2011 when Meatball was in College Park watching your Eers play Maryland when he found out that Syracuse/Pitt were gone to the ACC.

2 YEARS LATER...WVU in the Big XII & Maryland is in the B1G...So what Gene Smith says...whatever. 07-coffee3
02-25-2013 05:09 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Tortuitous interference. Better to keep your mouth shut publicly than risk a lawsuit later. All is quiet and all will be quiet until the ACC/Maryland lawsuit is settled.
02-25-2013 05:10 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Why can't anyone in power just say " we are not doing this or that"? Why use the term aggressively? Does that mean they are pursuing some teams passively?
02-25-2013 05:11 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Smoke and mirrors. Just an easy way to back down expectations until the networks sort things out, particularly ESPN.
02-25-2013 05:20 PM
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
You say what we lawyers tell you to say. If you are a smart Commissioner or AD, you will listen. If not, we will have to clean up your mess.
02-25-2013 05:23 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
(02-25-2013 05:20 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Smoke and mirrors. Just an easy way to back down expectations until the networks sort things out, particularly ESPN.

Or to allow a little more of that GOR to expire...
02-25-2013 05:34 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I think everybody learned from the Mizzou to the Big Ten fiasco in 2010. Never say anything that will affect and embarrass you later. Just my 2 cents.
02-25-2013 05:34 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
We are not aggressively pursuining expansion.

It means what it says which is?????

- We are looking around but haven't completed our due diligence to see what further expansion means?
- We've talked expansion but we don't have a consensus to expand?
- We've got a consensus to expand but lack consensus on who to add?
- We might expand if the right school comes knocking (ie TAMU to SEC)?
- We've identified schools we would take IF those schools make the first move?
- We've approached a few schools to see if they are interested but we ain't beggin' nobody to join. It's up to them to take the next step?

Dang if I know what that statement means.
02-25-2013 05:42 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
I am not aggressively pursuing dinner right now.

In 30min you can bet easy money that I am going to be chowing down big time.
02-25-2013 05:55 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I don't see myself watching TV anytime soon..........until the 6th season of Mad Men starts in April.

It's the same when a coach who's getting calls from other schools says: "I haven't had any contact with (insert school here) and I just want to focus on my current job here at (insert school here)" Two days later there's a press conference announcing he's the new coach at (insert school here).
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 06:01 PM by UTEPDallas.)
02-25-2013 06:01 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Alot on everyone's plate right now. Maybe next year.
02-25-2013 06:12 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
This probably indeed means:
Quote:I am not aggressively pursuing dinner right now.

More importantly - it probably means that, contrary to speculation; UVA, GT, and UNC/NC State/Duke have not yet been offered slots, or if they were, they all said no.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 07:58 PM by ODUalum78.)
02-25-2013 07:11 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-25-2013 05:34 PM)krux Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 05:20 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Smoke and mirrors. Just an easy way to back down expectations until the networks sort things out, particularly ESPN.

JR is right, realignment is in the hands of the networks now.
02-25-2013 08:26 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-25-2013 08:26 PM)XLance Wrote:  

I'd agree for the most part, EXCEPT for the Big Ten. They are the big dog conference in a lot of ways. If Big Ten wants a team they're going to get them(at least from the ACC). Not a damn thing ESPN can do to really stop that from happening.
02-25-2013 08:39 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-25-2013 05:55 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  I am not aggressively pursuing dinner right now.

you should eat at the new ACC cafe! i hear its all the rage! (or will be)
02-25-2013 08:57 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
A couple of theories on this:

1) Schools are starting to doubt the revenue numbers the Big 10 is throwing out there so now it's a "wait and see" approach.
2) Maryland may have to pay more than the Big 10 bargained for so they can't take too many at the same time especially if they offered to pay for some of the fee.
02-25-2013 09:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-25-2013 08:39 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 08:26 PM)XLance Wrote:  

I'd agree for the most part, EXCEPT for the Big Ten. They are the big dog conference in a lot of ways. If Big Ten wants a team they're going to get them(at least from the ACC). Not a damn thing ESPN can do to really stop that from happening.

A FOX versus ESPN bidding war is inevitable. The lull in the action is probably over strategy. I think the issue for ESPN will boil down to volume of product versus quality of product with quality being measured in national eyeballs.

I think they (ESPN) are trying to decide whether it makes more sense to save the ACC and pillage the Big 12, or pillage both the ACC and Big 12 in order to assimilate their own version of a super conference. They could decide to siphon off the best of the Big 12 into the SEC and ACC and have quantity of product to offer versus the two new FOX stations, or take Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas add them to North Carolina, Duke, and Florida State or Virginia Tech to create a 20 team SEC that maximizes eyeballs, sends content through the roof, and maximizes those brands profits while leaving everything else to either reform a minor version of the ACC/BigEast/Big12 for mid-week games, or just let them go period.

The concept of taking the highest percentage of viewership from the national brands and putting them in the conference that already leads the nation in eyeballs maximizes the audience for advertising profits, and minimizes the number of teams they have to support in the process. Fox could then profit by a very large Big 10, part of the PAC, and the leftovers of the ACC and Big 12, but they would not be able to capture the numbers with close to 50 schools that ESPN could with 20. Let's say that ESPN decides to make it 24 teams. You could add the remainder of F.S.U./Virginia Tech, West Virginia, N.C. State, and Clemson or Miami. That would leave FOX 40 schools that would not net them the % of profit versus the outlay that ESPN would have with 24 teams and less overhead.

I think this is the kind of thinking that is going on right now. I also believe that it is likely that we won't have the answer to this kind of question for a month or two, or perhaps until the Maryland decision. If Maryland's 52 million dollar exit fee stands then it may not be so costly for ESPN to shore up the ACC and shoot for control in a 20 team SEC and a 20 team ACC. Sure there is CBS to contend with in the SEC but they are not the threat that FOX is and ESPN has tier 2 & 3 of the SEC's content which is enormous. If the fee is drastically lowered it will probably be economically advantageous to go for the 1 large conference with uber content.

Don't be fooled by the Big 10's projections. They are based on models that may not be steady, and on FOX's willingness to build inventory. ESPN has deep pockets too and sports programming has the highest yield per dollar investment of any kind of TV entertainment. Plus the sports market is a bubble that may be nearing capacity. There is a lot to weigh before the final strategies of these two Networks are implemented.

The Big 10 will come out of this fine one way or the other and so will the SEC. The question is how the other product is divided up, or bolstered. On that we will all just have to wait and see.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 09:32 PM by JRsec.)
02-25-2013 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.