Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does the MWC take Cincinnati as a football-only?
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Does the MWC take Cincinnati as a football-only?
With the recent disaster that is the NBE's television negotiations, would the MWC be willing to take Cincinnati and possibly UConn while their other sports remain with the C7? What say you MWC fans?
02-10-2013 06:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
RE: Does the MWC take Cincinnati as a football-only?
No. Too distant, and the MWC is again a cohesive group. At least until the PAC-12 and maybe the Big 12 come looking.
02-10-2013 07:02 PM
Green Bull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF Bulls
I think Cincinnati relies on eastern media exposure and Florida recruiting. Even if the MWC has marginally more in tv money, UC would likely be hurt particularly in donations and football recruiting.

UConn and Temple might be somewhat different. But, Cincinnati's rise depends on football.
02-10-2013 07:30 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Does the MAC reach out to Temple? I mean, esp if UConn and Cincy return to the C7 and did that, would Temple go MAC for football and A10 for bball? Considering then A10 would be losing only maybe Xavier and Butler- that would keep A10 pretty relevant. Would they consider to bring in Memphis as well? I know a bit south of the current footprint, but east/west wise not a bad fit at all.
02-10-2013 07:44 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
If the Big East has Navy for football only, would they consider UConn and Cincy for football only? Why does it have to be the MWC?
02-10-2013 08:15 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(02-10-2013 08:15 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  If the Big East has Navy for football only, would they consider UConn and Cincy for football only? Why does it have to be the MWC?

At this point it appears those 2 have almost no value if the Big East is really only worth 2 million a year, so if they want to take their only truly valuable asset away from the league then they should be left to fend for themselves in football. It's not like there's any value left to protect at this point it appears the league is worth peanuts with or without them.
02-10-2013 08:23 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(02-10-2013 07:44 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Does the MAC reach out to Temple? I mean, esp if UConn and Cincy return to the C7 and did that, would Temple go MAC for football and A10 for bball? Considering then A10 would be losing only maybe Xavier and Butler- that would keep A10 pretty relevant. Would they consider to bring in Memphis as well? I know a bit south of the current footprint, but east/west wise not a bad fit at all.

If the Aresco League unravels and C-7 takes UConn, UC, Memphis, Butler, Xavier to get to 12 (would be in all of their best interests money-wise), then:

UMass and Temple all-sports to MAC (C-7 won't touch Temple (Villanova))

and

UConn / Memphis Football only to MAC

UConn and Memphis have to agree to play Temple and UMass each year and 2 other rotating MAC teams in basketball.

This makes everybody happy. UConn and Memphis play C-7 basketball schedule plus Temple/UMass/2 MAC (home and away) in exchange for MAC football

UMass and Temple find a stable all-sports home while also keeping a sound basketball schedule consisting of playing each other, UConn, Memphis, old A-10 buddies OOC, Akron, Ohio, and improving MAC basketball. Regional conference for them.

UC will find a football-only home with MWC.

everybody makes the best of a bad situation.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 08:32 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
02-10-2013 08:30 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
would the c7 want them?
02-10-2013 08:39 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
Personally I think the C7 should stay away from UConn & Cinci. We need stability as we are starting our new league and having 2 schools who are ready to bolt at a moments notice for a BCS league is bad news.
02-10-2013 08:39 PM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
That would be bad for both parties. Travel costs would be miserable as the closest team is...Nevada?? And it's not like WVU in the Big 12 where they can pay it from a sizable TV deal. It'd also kill recruiting. Bad bad idea.
02-10-2013 08:40 PM
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-10-2013 08:30 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 07:44 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Does the MAC reach out to Temple? I mean, esp if UConn and Cincy return to the C7 and did that, would Temple go MAC for football and A10 for bball? Considering then A10 would be losing only maybe Xavier and Butler- that would keep A10 pretty relevant. Would they consider to bring in Memphis as well? I know a bit south of the current footprint, but east/west wise not a bad fit at all.

If the Aresco League unravels and C-7 takes UConn, UC, Memphis, Butler, Xavier to get to 12 (would be in all of their best interests money-wise), then:

and

UConn and Memphis have to agree to play Temple and UMass each year and 2 other rotating MAC teams in basketball.

This makes everybody happy. UConn and Memphis play C-7 basketball schedule plus Temple/UMass/2 MAC (home and away) in exchange for MAC football

UMass and Temple find a stable all-sports home while also keeping a sound basketball schedule consisting of playing each other, UConn, Memphis, old A-10 buddies OOC, Akron, Ohio, and improving MAC basketball. Regional conference for them.

come on...just stop....
02-10-2013 08:40 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(02-10-2013 08:40 PM)templefan1 Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 08:30 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

and

come on...just stop....

"I heard last week that someone representing the C-7 schools approached somebody at Memphis to gauge if that school had interest in joining their league"

http://mobile.philly.com/sports/?wss=/ph...All=y#more
02-10-2013 09:36 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(02-10-2013 08:40 PM)gocards#1 Wrote:  That would be bad for both parties. Travel costs would be miserable as the closest team is...Nevada?? And it's not like WVU in the Big 12 where they can pay it from a sizable TV deal. It'd also kill recruiting. Bad bad idea.

I agree, the MWC is a dumpster league and Cincinnati would be much better off in the NBE in its current iteration...however, if I'm Cincinnati I would gauge the MWC's interest into leveraging our way into becoming a football-only member in the NBE then putting the rest of our sports with the C-7 to maximize our television value. That is the best Cincinnati can do at this point while we wait for the Maryland-ACC case to settle and the B1G to make its next move.
02-10-2013 09:56 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I really see no motivation for the NBE schools to grant anyone fb only quite frankly. Why provide the knife to stab you in the back?
02-10-2013 10:01 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(02-10-2013 10:01 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I really see no motivation for the NBE schools to grant anyone fb only quite frankly. Why provide the knife to stab you in the back?

Desperation. What would Memphis, Temple, ECU, Tulane, USF, and UCF do if the MWC offered Houston and SMU full invites along with Cincinnati and UConn as football only? Losing Cincinnati and UConn would be devastating just like the MWC losing Boise would have been devastating to that league. Now Boise has a sweet heart deal with the MWC, it wouldn't be outlandish to believe the Cincinnati and UConn could leverage similar concessions.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 10:15 PM by UCbball21.)
02-10-2013 10:14 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-10-2013 10:14 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 10:01 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I really see no motivation for the NBE schools to grant anyone fb only quite frankly. Why provide the knife to stab you in the back?

Desperation. What would Memphis, Temple, ECU, Tulane, USF, and UCF do if the MWC offered Houston and SMU full invites along with Cincinnati and UConn as football only? Losing Cincinnati and UConn would be devastating just like the MWC losing Boise would have been devastating to that league. Now Boise has a sweet heart deal with the MWC, it wouldn't be outlandish to believe the Cincinnati and UConn could leverage similar concessions.

I don't see the MWC going to 16 for football and 13 for all other sports. I just don't. Also even if MWC did that- I think for the 6, they just go on with other adds quite frankly- they're not going to bend over backwords and take it up the you know what when they know they'd be getting it the same a year or two later. Any concessions done would require Cincy and UConn to be in for all sports anyways. No football=no luck.
02-10-2013 10:19 PM
Advertisement

Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M

Yeah the Nbe would not allow Cinci football only but if Cinci and UConn brought Houston and SMU with them then getting into Texas would likely be worth it. Cinci and UConn would be in the east with the Mountain schools. It isn't too bad for Cinci, tougher for UConn but not really further than Hawaii in the west from CA. Cinci and Boise like end up in the championship game.

East: Cinci, U-Conn, Houston, SMU, New Mexico, Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado State.

West: Boise, Utah State, Fresno, Nevada, UNLV, SDSU, SJSU, Hawaii

You do 7-1 and make sure the Hawaii-UConn game is the last possible game. By then Cinci and UConn leave and the MWC picks the best team left from CUSA. Seems like very little downside and the travel is not much worse for Cinci than what West Virginia faces and a little tougher for UConn but not going to the Pacific time zone.

Remember the MWC really wants into Texas and BYU back. Going to 16 football only with Cinci and UConn gives BYU more time to see if the new model really works for them and allows the MWC time to establish itself as the best of the rest conference and maybe get a deal with the fiesta like the orange has with the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 10:25 PM by Sactowndog.)
02-10-2013 10:21 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(02-10-2013 10:19 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

I don't see the MWC going to 16 for football and 13 for all other sports. I just don't. Also even if MWC did that- I think for the 6, they just go on with other adds quite frankly- they're not going to bend over backwords and take it up the you know what when they know they'd be getting it the same a year or two later. Any concessions done would require Cincy and UConn to be in for all sports anyways. No football=no luck.

I think the MWC would prefer Cincinnati and UConn as football-only rather than all sports for travel costs. It doesn't make sense for either side to send their Olympic teams cross country on a regular basis. Add two quality Cincinnati and UConn football programs, work up some kind of scheduling agreement with both schools for some marquee basketball match-ups OOC, and hit the ground running with Houston and SMU in your back pocket as well. It definitely makes sense from the MWC's perspective, with that said I don't want Cincinnati in the MWC...it would only be to gain leverage for a football-only membership in the NBE.
02-10-2013 10:32 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-10-2013 10:32 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 10:19 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

I think the MWC would prefer Cincinnati and UConn as football-only rather than all sports for travel costs. It doesn't make sense for either side to send their Olympic teams cross country on a regular basis. Add two quality Cincinnati and UConn football programs, work up some kind of scheduling agreement with both schools for some marquee basketball match-ups OOC, and hit the ground running with Houston and SMU in your back pocket as well. It definitely makes sense from the MWC's perspective, with that said I don't want Cincinnati in the MWC...it would only be to gain leverage for a football-only membership in the NBE.

I meant any concessions the NBE did would require Cincy and UConn to be in all sports. I don't think there's any chance of the conference allowing them to be in fb only. That's not happening..

And there's this thing about the C7. I think there is 0 chance of them wanting Cincy or UConn quite frankly.
02-10-2013 10:37 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(02-10-2013 10:37 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I meant any concessions the NBE did would require Cincy and UConn to be in all sports. I don't think there's any chance of the conference allowing them to be in fb only. That's not happening..

And there's this thing about the C7. I think there is 0 chance of them wanting Cincy or UConn quite frankly.

I agree, the NBE obviously wouldn't just let them do it, their hand would have to be forced and Cincinnati/UConn threatening to join the MWC taking Houston and SMU with them would absolutely do it.

You are smoking something if you think that the C-7 wouldn't want Cincinnati and Connecticut, both programs are among the top 15 programs of all time.
02-10-2013 10:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.