Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B10 and the Carolina Way
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Rolleyes B10 and the Carolina Way
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/07/2...ecked.html

Wonder if this scandal would keep away any serious B10 talks.
02-08-2013 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: B10 and the Carolina Way
This is nothing that anyone here (that isn't a UNC fan) didn't already suspect...
02-08-2013 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(02-08-2013 11:42 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/07/2...ecked.html

I wonder if this is going to bring major NCAA sanctions to UNC. They might not see a bowl game for three or four years, if they don't get the death penalty. 05-stirthepot
02-08-2013 11:47 AM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(02-08-2013 11:47 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 11:42 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/07/2...ecked.html

I wonder if this is going to bring major NCAA sanctions to UNC. They might not see a bowl game for three or four years, if they don't get the death penalty. 05-stirthepot

Then we could just have them play State Pen for the last game of the year
02-08-2013 11:52 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(02-08-2013 11:52 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Yep...the "Penalty Bowl". Instead of the refs wearing stripes, they could make the players dress out in striped attire...03-lmfao
02-08-2013 11:54 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Good to see some Carolina grads acknowledge the obvious truths.
02-08-2013 11:55 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
If just athletes were steering each other to easy pass classes, that's one thing. If advisors were doing it, that's pretty bad, although to be fair with the high numbers of African-Americans among the football and basketball programs (which I suspect was disproportionate to the university population at large), if there was a presumption by advisors of potential interest in that area of study, there could have been at least some "innocent" steering of students toward that area. Or is that too naive?
02-08-2013 12:06 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(02-08-2013 12:06 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  If just athletes were steering each other to easy pass classes, that's one thing. If advisors were doing it, that's pretty bad, although to be fair with the high numbers of African-Americans among the football and basketball programs (which I suspect was disproportionate to the university population at large), if there was a presumption by advisors of potential interest in that area of study, there could have been at least some "innocent" steering of students toward that area. Or is that too naive?
If only the African-American athletes were getting these breaks, then that is a whole new and very big can of worms... Every person who failed one of these classes now might have a legal case against the university. It might look a lot like reverse descrimination. Opinions???
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 12:14 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
02-08-2013 12:12 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Every big-time football and hoops program (and many that aren't big time) steers athletes into the easiest-to-pass classes that the school offers. Many of those schools create large easy-to-pass classes with athletes in mind.

So the problem here is not that UNC did that, the problem is that they went farther than that and had phony classes that never met or perhaps were total joke classes like "History of Basketball" where all you had to do to pass the final is know who invented the game and how many players each team has on the court at one time.
02-08-2013 12:13 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA

My money is on the NCAA not doing a damn thing (or very little) about it.
02-08-2013 02:10 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(02-08-2013 12:12 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 12:06 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  If just athletes were steering each other to easy pass classes, that's one thing. If advisors were doing it, that's pretty bad, although to be fair with the high numbers of African-Americans among the football and basketball programs (which I suspect was disproportionate to the university population at large), if there was a presumption by advisors of potential interest in that area of study, there could have been at least some "innocent" steering of students toward that area. Or is that too naive?
If only the African-American athletes were getting these breaks, then that is a whole new and very big can of worms... Every person who failed one of these classes now might have a legal case against the university. It might look a lot like reverse descrimination. Opinions???

I think that's a bigger slap to the face of African Americans personally.
02-08-2013 02:15 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(02-08-2013 02:15 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

I think that's a bigger slap to the face of African Americans personally.
I totally agree with you. Lots of hard working students out there who don't play sports.
02-08-2013 02:36 PM
nobledictator1278 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU Baby
I understand that what is done here is a bit of a mockery to the education that is Tar Heel Education, but I don't see where what is done here is exactly wrong. Embarrassing? indeed Wrong...I don't know

1. I know when I went to school there were core classes I had to take and then other classes I had to take, I could ask my adviser what they had heard about this class or that, this teacher or that and if I had heard bad things or that it was harder, and I was daunted by a class I would go with the grade. Because that is what I needed to do to graduate.

2. There are many....many ....many degrees out there that are .... not the most academically responsible but they still exist and no one questions them.

3. When a kid is playing basketball or football at UNC or any other college for that matter and clearly wouldn't have had the grades, nor test scores to get in....is there really any difference to this? Just another accommodation.

4. For a lot of these kids that are at that level especially UNC Basketball or Football, they aren't trying to get a degree in academia they are trying to get a "degree" to play professional sports. Most of these kids think they are going to be one of the few. So if that is what they are there for, and the University knows this, and the student knows this, why not cater to that student?

I am in no way a UNC fan, I'm not trying to back them, it would make me laugh so hard to see sanctions levied on them. Once you cast those stones these officials better start looking at all major colleges that are bringing these athletes in. The problem isn't that the school is making easy classes for them. The problem is the school is marring academic principles to win in sports by putting these students in position to go to a college that if they were in legit classes, would have a extremely tough time passing.

I would wager that there is a huge pressure from high up in every institution to make sure that these kids GPA's look the part. Advisors, teachers and well everyone receive I am sure huge heat to insure "academic" success of these students. After all these athletes are huge ambassadors for the school and its also a black eye to have these kids repeatedly fail and get knocked off the team.

Maybe I'm wrong here, or misunderstanding the problem.... but this seems like people acting like they are shocked at something everyone knows happens.
02-08-2013 02:50 PM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
I think the issue here with why its wrong is three fold.

1) The advisers role is not to schedule classes for kids or pick their major...its to help them with their coursework...tutor, be kind of a 1 on 1 to review coursework with these kids. Julius Peppers adviser, who turned into his agent after college, actually admitted to going to a professor and asking for Peppers grade to be changed. That's outside of the role of the adviser.

2) If a syllabus is approved, the course is supposed to be taught that way...UNC is saying they didnt know these courses weren't being taught properly...and we still don't have a reason as to why they weren't being taught properly.

3) Writing a paper (with a tutor mind you) doesn't equal course credit. That's just plain fraud and UNC knows this and UNC's athletic dept knew this. Its one thing to make sure you have class times that fit the schedule (like no night courses), quite another to never actually meet and instead go work out and practice, while OTHER STUDENT ATHLETES AT OTHER SCHOOLS HAVE TO SIT IN CLASS.

That's a major advantage that UNC employed, apparently in almost every sport, and apparently with its BEST athletes.

Make no mistake about it...UNC had a system in place. It knew if an athlete needed an A or B to stay eligible and it utilized these majors and Indy classes in order for them to attain them. Not just an easy Geography class...hell Peppers actually got an F in Geography....

Bottom line is this...Peppers would have FLUNKED OUT of any other school but UNC....now what does that say about UNC.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 04:50 PM by HP-TBDPITL.)
02-08-2013 04:46 PM
Texas2Step Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The American
(02-08-2013 11:54 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Yep...the "Penalty Bowl". Instead of the refs wearing stripes, they could make the players dress out in striped attire...03-lmfao

All orange vs black/white stripes COGS
02-08-2013 04:50 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(02-08-2013 11:54 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Yeah! One could wear black & white and the other could wear white & black.
02-08-2013 05:55 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I would be embarrassed as a tarheel fan to know that my school had to cheat to have as lousy a football program as Carolina has had for the last 15 years. But I still think the NCAA will let them weasel out.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 06:04 PM by Rabonchild.)
02-08-2013 05:59 PM
Advertisement

lazydawg58 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: East Carolina

I actually have a friend who's daughter graduated a couple of years ago from UNC-CH. She was an athlete, black, and biology major. He said she took a couple of courses in the AA Studies department. The course work and class schedule for her was normal. He remembers her writing research papers (on her own) and studying for tests. What he noted was that there was a teammate of his daughter that didn't seem up to the task.......but she had a team manager that mirrored that girls courses. He thought it was a little odd that this manager, a white girl had majored in AA Studies (or at least minored in it), took all the same courses as the other player and they graduated together. Of course nothing says you have to be AA to major in AA Studies, (see Dr. Tim Tyson) but he just thought that raised a few red flags.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 09:52 PM by lazydawg58.)
02-08-2013 09:49 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(02-08-2013 02:10 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

My money is on the NCAA not doing a damn thing (or very little) about it.

Unfortunately, your are probably absolutely correct.
02-11-2013 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.