Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Only In The Sun Belt
Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
Only In The Sun Belt
Thought this had been settled long ago, but apparently it hasn't. ULL has a companion in the Belt with a -city name problem.03-banghead Betcha they get it handled soon.04-rock

Administrators are considering changing the university’s name for the sixth time in its 114-year history to clear up confusion about Texas State’s San Marcos and Round Rock campuses.

The administration has asked the Texas Legislature to change the institution’s official name from Texas State University-San Marcos to Texas State University. Provost Eugene Bourgeois said existing confusion with the university’s name stems from the fact some people may think the Round Rock Higher Education Center is a second branch of Texas State.

Bourgeois said the administration wants the legislature to make it clear Texas State is one university with two campuses. He said dropping “-San Marcos” from the university’s name isn’t an effort to avoid Texas State being seen as a regional school.

“The name change doesn’t have to do with anything like that,” Bourgeois said. “This is simply to eliminate confusion.”

The legislature will have to amend the Texas Education Code to eliminate “-San Marcos” from the university’s name. The code is a set of state statutes governing public education in Texas. Robert Gratz, special assistant to the university president, said the Board of Regents decided during its November meeting to permit the university to work with the legislature to amend the code.

Gratz said introducing a bill to the legislature would be the next step, and if approved the school’s name will be changed.

Gratz said the school’s official name, “Texas State University-San Marcos,” is used on legal documents, but in most publications the institution is already referred to as Texas State University.

http://bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23231
02-05-2013 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Only In The Sun Belt
The original reason the San Marcos was even added was because they dreamed that the other schools in the TSUS would follow suit and be "Texas State - wherever" but those schools were having none of it. It was kind of forced on us by a particular legislator.

As no other school is ever going to do this it just makes sense to drop it.
02-05-2013 05:57 PM
YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State
What does it matter to you, MG? As 'Mom said, there's no reason to specify the city when there's only one in the country
02-05-2013 06:13 PM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
MG What does to your School of Music Degree read?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Texas_University

Former names Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute (1890–1894)
North Texas Normal College (1894–1901)
North Texas State Normal College (1901–1923)
North Texas State Teachers College (1923–1949)
North Texas State College (1949–1961)
North Texas State University (1961–1988)
02-05-2013 07:28 PM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
Motto A green light to greatness.

Green Lantern comes to mind.01-wingedeagle
02-05-2013 07:31 PM
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(02-05-2013 05:33 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Thought this had been settled long ago, but apparently it hasn't. ULL has a companion in the Belt with a -city name problem.03-banghead Betcha they get it handled soon.04-rock

Administrators are considering changing the university’s name for the sixth time in its 114-year history to clear up confusion about Texas State’s San Marcos and Round Rock campuses.

The administration has asked the Texas Legislature to change the institution’s official name from Texas State University-San Marcos to Texas State University. Provost Eugene Bourgeois said existing confusion with the university’s name stems from the fact some people may think the Round Rock Higher Education Center is a second branch of Texas State.

Bourgeois said the administration wants the legislature to make it clear Texas State is one university with two campuses. He said dropping “-San Marcos” from the university’s name isn’t an effort to avoid Texas State being seen as a regional school.

“The name change doesn’t have to do with anything like that,” Bourgeois said. “This is simply to eliminate confusion.”

The legislature will have to amend the Texas Education Code to eliminate “-San Marcos” from the university’s name. The code is a set of state statutes governing public education in Texas. Robert Gratz, special assistant to the university president, said the Board of Regents decided during its November meeting to permit the university to work with the legislature to amend the code.

Gratz said introducing a bill to the legislature would be the next step, and if approved the school’s name will be changed.

Gratz said the school’s official name, “Texas State University-San Marcos,” is used on legal documents, but in most publications the institution is already referred to as Texas State University.

What is your beef with this?
02-05-2013 10:03 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(02-05-2013 10:03 PM)Cat79 Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 05:33 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Thought this had been settled long ago, but apparently it hasn't. ULL has a companion in the Belt with a -city name problem.03-banghead Betcha they get it handled soon.04-rock

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh Hell, I don't usually do this, but did you really ask what Mg61's beef is with this? You have almost 250 posts on this site, and you haven't figured out Mg61 yet? Come On Man! Mg61 hates TX ST . . He's got a seeeeerious case of Bobcat envy. And who can blame him .. He went to North TX ST. It's all he can do to keep from running out and playing in traffic during rush hour. He knows as a N. TX ST grad (and I'm assuming he actually graduated) that he'll NEVER be as good as the WORST TX ST Grad . . and so he hangs out on sites like this and takes his little pot shots at Bobcats whenever/wherever he can . . . You can't take a guy like this seriously... . Go Cats! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 11:58 AM by Bobcat87.)
02-05-2013 11:41 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
This thread is stupid.
02-05-2013 11:51 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(02-05-2013 11:51 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  This thread is stupid.

Agreed, Sailor... . IF that's who you really are, . . . Again, I would remind you .. . it's an internet forum, where people come to vent their spleen .. . if you're looking for intellectual discourse about really weighty matters, you might wanna look elsewhere . . . . just sayin' .. Looking forward to meeting you/yours on the field of battle this fall . . Go Cats! 04-rock
02-06-2013 12:18 AM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
(02-06-2013 12:18 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 11:51 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  This thread is stupid.

Agreed, Sailor... . IF that's who you really are, . . . Again, I would remind you .. . it's an internet forum, where people come to vent their spleen .. . if you're looking for intellectual discourse about really weighty matters, you might wanna look elsewhere . . . . just sayin' .. Looking forward to meeting you/yours on the field of battle this fall . . Go Cats! 04-rock

... Regarding the "sailor" comment. You apparently still don't get the joke of what I copied and pasted on the other thread. This will help explain:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/internet-t...-copypasta
02-06-2013 01:37 AM
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(02-05-2013 11:41 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh Hell, I don't usually do this, but did you really ask what Mg61's beef is with this? You have almost 250 posts on this site, and you haven't figured out Mg61 yet? Come On Man! Mg61 hates TX ST . . He's got a seeeeerios case of Bobcat envy. And who can blame him .. He went to North TX ST. It's all he can do to keep from running out and playing in traffic during rush hour. He knows as a N. TX ST grad (and I'm assuming he actually graduated) that he'll NEVER be as good as the WORST TX ST Grad . . and so he hangs out on sites like this and takes his little pot shots at Bobcats whenever/wherever he can . . . You can't take a guy like this seriously... . Go Cats! 04-cheers

He is trying to make this a Sun Belt thing.04-chairshot
02-06-2013 06:03 AM
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

Beeg ? I don't have a beef & thought the "San Marcos" part was history some time back. Look at the last sentence, first paragraph of my post. "Betcha they get it handled soon". A compliment to Texas State
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 08:51 AM by MG61.)
02-06-2013 08:50 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh Hell, I don't usually do this, but did you really ask what Mg61's beef is with this? You have almost 250 posts on this site, and you haven't figured out Mg61 yet? Come On Man! Mg61 hates TX ST . . He's got a seeeeerios case of Bobcat envy. And who can blame him .. He went to North TX ST. It's all he can do to keep from running out and playing in traffic during rush hour. He knows as a N. TX ST grad (and I'm assuming he actually graduated) that he'll NEVER be as good as the WORST TX ST Grad . . and so he hangs out on sites like this and takes his little pot shots at Bobcats whenever/wherever he can . . . You can't take a guy like this seriously... . Go Cats! 04-cheers

I viewed it more as a shot against UL in its ongoing battle for its name. Because MG61 has "name gamed" here before.
02-06-2013 09:34 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(02-06-2013 09:34 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  

I viewed it more as a shot against UL in its ongoing battle for its name. Because MG61 has "name gamed" here before.

You may be correct, could be "I" took it wrong, though Gawd knows he's taken plenty of "shots" at TX ST. As w/all my posts, I certainly allow for the possibility, nay, the probability of being WRONG!
02-06-2013 12:01 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(02-06-2013 09:34 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  I viewed it more as a shot against UL in its ongoing battle for its name. Because MG61 has "name gamed" here before.

All he really has is name gaming and ancient history. And I viewed it as a dual attempted shot at UL and us.
02-06-2013 12:41 PM
Blueraidersig Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MTSU

What does Louisville have to do with this?
02-06-2013 01:30 PM
Advertisement

YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

(02-06-2013 01:30 PM)Blueraidersig Wrote:  

What does Louisville have to do with this?

Is Louisville in the Sun Belt? No? Then what matter is it that we call Louisiana "UL"?

03-banghead
02-06-2013 02:23 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2013 12:41 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 09:34 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  I viewed it more as a shot against UL in its ongoing battle for its name. Because MG61 has "name gamed" here before.

All he really has is name gaming and ancient history. And I viewed it as a dual attempted shot at UL and us.

Geeze, you guys are really paranoid. The article was on the Bobcat board along with a thread. Personally I didn't know that -San Marcos was still official attached to the Texas State name. And kudos to the Texas State folks who are taking the
proper action to make the deletion.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 02:29 PM by MG61.)
02-06-2013 02:24 PM
HoustonCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(02-06-2013 12:41 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

Easy to settle. The 3 schools have picked how they want to be referenced and are branding themselves this way:

Texas State
Louisiana
ULM

Why don't we all just agree to go with that?
02-06-2013 02:24 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(02-06-2013 02:24 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Geeze, you guys are really paranoid. The article was on the Bobcat board along with a thread. Personally I didn't know that -San Marcos was still official attached to the Texas State name. And kudos to the Texas State folks who are taking the
proper action to make the deletion.

It's not paranoia. It's looking at your track record.

And you feigning innocence is just... well, sad.

be proud of your work. You got a troll thread to 2 pages (and I'm sure it will be 4-5 by the time it is done). You successfully trolled the board.
02-06-2013 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.