Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SoCon/CAA Conference Rumor Changes
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
The first movement was College of Charleston to the CAA.The Socon also facing Ga. Sothern and App.St going to FBS.I've heard rumors that they are interested in Richmond,UNCW(Neither make sence). ETSU will most likely get a invite they offically annouce football,and may come with Mercer/Kennesesaw State(Potential football members.)
02-01-2013 09:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: SoCon/CAA Conference Rumor Changes
(02-01-2013 09:08 AM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  The first movement was College of Charleston to the CAA.The Socon also facing Ga. Sothern and App.St going to FBS.I've heard rumors that they are interested in Richmond,UNCW(Neither make sence). ETSU will most likely get a invite they offically annouce football,and may come with Mercer/Kennesesaw State(Potential football members.)

I have felt for years that there should be a conference with the following teams: App St, Coastal Carolina, Chattanooga, Georgia Southern, James Madison, Liberty, Towson St, Delaware, Kennesaw St., N. Fl (if they started up football), ETSU (if they started up football), & Richmond. With App St & GSU leaving I would add College of Charleston, UNC-Greensboro, UNC Wilmington, Davidson, Furman, & Northern Kentucky. This would give the conference a foot print in. Baltimore, Richmond, Greensboro, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Greenville SC, Atlanta, Jacksonville Fl, Chattanooga, Cincy, & Tri -City (Va/Tn). Just need one more football team.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 10:06 AM by Rabonchild.)
02-01-2013 10:04 AM
ncguitarplyr Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: AppNation247
Mercer to the SoCon is extremely likely, initially without football.
02-01-2013 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Turnberry79 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(02-01-2013 10:56 AM)ncguitarplyr Wrote:  Mercer to the SoCon is extremely likely, initially without football.

You can count Mercer in and ETSU as well if their administration approves expenditure, although there are still some hard feelings which will have to be soothed over from their leaving the conference previously all but unannounced. Coastal has been actively promoting themselves to the SOCON for some years now and has not been shy about it. UNC-Wilmington is considering due to the cost associated with Olympic sports travel which is not small being located away from other conference members and with limited non-stop air options from Wilmington to the north where most CAA schools are situated. C of C was added in part to give Wilmington some assitance. Wonder how the athletic department here in Charleston feels about hearing these rumblings? Richmond has been mentioned but that is a mystery of sorts. Some feel they have not kept up with other CAA members when it comes to athletic facilities. The SOCON has also received interest from other schools that are in the Big South. VMI would be a good fit to move back into the SOCON as they have had for many year a big rivalry with The Citadel. Also, High Point University is looking into adding football. That school has seen great growth over the past decade. The Big South has continually had problems keeping the requisite number of schools sponsoring football in the conference. So, really any of those Big South football schools are possibilities for the SOCON. All of the schools mentioned would keep the conference with a rather tight footprint, outside of Samford being in Birmingham, which is a big consideration for the conference.
02-01-2013 11:40 AM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(02-01-2013 11:40 AM)Turnberry79 Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 10:56 AM)ncguitarplyr Wrote:  Mercer to the SoCon is extremely likely, initially without football.

You can count Mercer in and ETSU as well if their administration approves expenditure, although there are still some hard feelings which will have to be soothed over from their leaving the conference previously all but unannounced. Coastal has been actively promoting themselves to the SOCON for some years now and has not been shy about it. UNC-Wilmington is considering due to the cost associated with Olympic sports travel which is not small being located away from other conference members and with limited non-stop air options from Wilmington to the north where most CAA schools are situated. C of C was added in part to give Wilmington some assitance. Wonder how the athletic department here in Charleston feels about hearing these rumblings? Richmond has been mentioned but that is a mystery of sorts. Some feel they have not kept up with other CAA members when it comes to athletic facilities. The SOCON has also received interest from other schools that are in the Big South. VMI would be a good fit to move back into the SOCON as they have had for many year a big rivalry with The Citadel. Also, High Point University is looking into adding football. That school has seen great growth over the past decade. The Big South has continually had problems keeping the requisite number of schools sponsoring football in the conference. So, really any of those Big South football schools are possibilities for the SOCON. All of the schools mentioned would keep the conference with a rather tight footprint, outside of Samford being in Birmingham, which is a big consideration for the conference.

I don't believe ETSU left the conference. I believe the SoCon kicked them out for dropping football.
02-01-2013 01:10 PM
Turnberry79 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-01-2013 01:10 PM)hapapp Wrote:  

I don't believe ETSU left the conference. I believe the SoCon kicked them out for dropping football.

You are correct.....I stated that wrong. The administration dropped football without any consultations whatsoever with the conference office......thus causing the the conference office to take action. In any event, the conference and their members were more than a bit miffed by how ETSU handled the situation. But that was many years ago now.....new commissioner, many new ADs and many new CEOs at the schools. Again....thanks
02-01-2013 02:11 PM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
ETSU and mercer should be locks for soCon, could see UNF or N alabama but would be surprised if richmond or uncw made that move. I guess VMI could work but i think they are better off going D3.
02-01-2013 02:28 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
I can't see Richmond leaving, even after the A-10 is raided it would be a better home for thier oly sports & bball. And if APP St and Ga So leave the SoCon then there is no question the CAA is a better football league, not to mention better geographically.
02-01-2013 03:10 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

UNCW is not leaving the CAA. We just got Coc to join after years of chasing them. SoCon is likely for ETSU and Mercer may come along too. UNC A would be a good pick to repalce the loss of non football CoC. SoCon will be solid and stable as they have a lot of options
02-01-2013 07:56 PM
Turnberry79 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-01-2013 07:56 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

UNCW is not leaving the CAA. We just got Coc to join after years of chasing them. SoCon is likely for ETSU and Mercer may come along too. UNC A would be a good pick to repalce the loss of non football CoC. SoCon will be solid and stable as they have a lot of options

I think you are probably right.....but this came from my business partner who lives in Wilmington and is involved in a number of things at UNC-W. He knows both the AD and CEO of the school well....and is in fact is meeting with the CEO on some unrelated matters next week. I hope to know more then. Time will tell. With what we have seen with realignment so far I hesitant to say anything is impossible.
02-01-2013 09:14 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
[Image: FOIAEmail1.jpg]
[Image: FOIAEmail2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 09:39 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
02-01-2013 09:38 PM
Advertisement

etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

The conference also says it will play with 11 members next year. They didn't say which eleven,but I imagine it is quite possible ETSU,Mercer,and VMI are all in by next basketball season. If VMI leaves the Big South they'll invite Kennesaw State. The Atlantic Sun is probably going to go after another D2 Florida school, Lincoln Memorial,and may try to go after NJIT.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 10:55 PM by etsuandpurdue3.)
02-01-2013 10:20 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(02-01-2013 10:20 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  The conference also says it will play with 11 members next year. They didn't say which eleven,but I imagine it is quite possible ETSU,Mercer,and VMI are all in by next basketball season. If VMI leaves the Big South they'll invite Kennesaw State. The Atlantic Sun is probably going to go after another D2 Florida school, Lincoln Memorial,and may try to go after NJIT.

Augusta St., and Columbus St. will be the A-Sun targets, both want to move to D-I.
02-02-2013 02:33 AM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

Some new developments I've been hearing rumors about are that the SoCon expansion is in a mess,and that ETSU/UTC going to the OVC/Sun Belt is becoming more likely.(The Sun Belt will take Chatt right now,and with Noland in place here at ETSU were most likely going to have state of the art facilites)
02-02-2013 10:50 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(02-02-2013 10:50 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  Some new developments I've been hearing rumors about are that the SoCon expansion is in a mess,and that ETSU/UTC going to the OVC/Sun Belt is becoming more likely.(The Sun Belt will take Chatt right now,and with Noland in place here at ETSU were most likely going to have state of the art facilites)

Its all very interesting because ETSU/UTC had become very much forgotten by realignment theorists and of course since they don't play FBS you don't hear much from their fans begging from admission.

I have thought the SBC could perhaps bulk to 14 schools by adding ETSU, UTC, ASU and GoSouthern with the idea of UTC and ETSU hanging around at the the FBS level for a while.

SBC East: ETSU, UTC, WKU, ASU, GSU, GoSouthern, Troy
SBC West: USA, ULL, ULM, UTA, Tx State, Ark St, UALR
02-03-2013 12:01 AM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2013 12:01 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 10:50 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  Some new developments I've been hearing rumors about are that the SoCon expansion is in a mess,and that ETSU/UTC going to the OVC/Sun Belt is becoming more likely.(The Sun Belt will take Chatt right now,and with Noland in place here at ETSU were most likely going to have state of the art facilites)

Its all very interesting because ETSU/UTC had become very much forgotten by realignment theorists and of course since they don't play FBS you don't hear much from their fans begging from admission.

I have thought the SBC could perhaps bulk to 14 schools by adding ETSU, UTC, ASU and GoSouthern with the idea of UTC and ETSU hanging around at the the FBS level for a while.

I've heard also that UTA wants to restart their football program. They have a fully fuctional stadium on campus, it's about the same as Lamar's situation.
02-03-2013 12:22 AM
Advertisement

etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

With Noland as our President this is very much likely. Also the private schools in the SoCon are making the public schools really, really mad that's why I say this is becoming more likely day by day. Also with CUSA most likely to call up Western Kentucky/Texas State willingy, this may happen.
02-03-2013 12:28 AM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
Mercer fits the SoCon profile. Small private school.

ETSU, Kennesaw State, and North Alabama don't. The SoCon last added a public football playing school in 1992. Every other football school added has been a small private school.
02-03-2013 02:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2013 02:52 AM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  Mercer fits the SoCon profile. Small private school.

ETSU, Kennesaw State, and North Alabama don't. The SoCon last added a public football playing school in 1992. Every other football school added has been a small private school.
I say that's why all the football playing, public schools are going to jump ship. Also ETSU/Chattanooga is a package deal for OVC/Sun Belt.
02-03-2013 08:52 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(02-03-2013 12:22 AM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  

I've heard also that UTA wants to restart their football program. They have a fully fuctional stadium on campus, it's about the same as Lamar's situation.

I would say the Lamar situation is at least somewhat different than UTA given that Lamar has recently renovated its football stadium.

I can see the value though of having schools like UTA, UALR, ETSU ect in the SBC which would want to be there from an institutional standpoint and with the long term potential of FBS football.
02-03-2013 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.