Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This year's success...why?
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
This year's success...why?
Just tossing the ideas around for success this year when we lost so many starters and with an influx of new players. To win 12 games at this point is uncanny. However, here are a few thoughts:

1. Whittington has matured as a player and is much more athletic than I had imagined. Plays within his abilities, hustles on defense, and doesn't force the play.

2. Ritchie and Klein have done a good job at point, although flawed at times. They are both learning from their mistakes and growing into the position. However, both must learn to take care of the ball a little better.

3. Paul is developing nicely. He is selective about his offense and mindful of his defense. Very aware of the court and of his teammates.
Makes incredibly good decisions for a freshman and will only get better.

4. Hutch is a force on defense. He is erratic on offense, but often comes up with an athletic drive or three point play. He'll be missed next year.

5. Pokely, although shaky at times, can drain that three pointer when given an open look. He seems to be gaining confidence in his shot and will prove a valuable threat down the road.

6. Brown can be immense. His play is measured with the cognizance of his fragile injury history.

7. Tava has emerged as a hustling, defensive machine with intensity at both of ends of the court.

8. Perry has the same characteristics as Tava, but has to watch collecting fouls with being overzealous.

9. Avery provides nice minutes and is a positive influence out there.

10. Loney gives valuable contributions as well.

11. Most importantly, this team plays as a team. They support each other. Always looking for the other guy, helping out on defense, switching, and NOT WHINING.

12. Their defense is intense throughout the game. They seem to know what is takes to win, and they don't give up. Only once or twice during the season did I see a player present a casual effort and, even at that, it was at spurts.

13. Lastly, Hawkins seems to understand this team and the players and they seem to understand him. There is a cohesiveness here which was dramatically void last year. Hawkins and staff are doing a tremendous job with this crew.

Hope for the future is cautious optimism. However, having said that, high expectations lead to huge disappointments, so I am very happy with what we've achieved so far knowing that the wheels can come off at any time.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 08:40 PM by bostonbronco.)
01-28-2013 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: This year's success...why?
Getting to 20 wins in the regular season is realistic.
01-28-2013 08:18 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

I agree with most everything; great post.

I believe two of the bigger factors though have been our schedule, and our division.
01-28-2013 08:30 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

IMO very important other changes
14. Rick Carter is gone

15. Clayton Bates is back
16. James Holland (edit) joins coaching team
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 06:51 AM by okgc.)
01-28-2013 08:43 PM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

17. No selfish prima-donna centers to ruin team chemistry.
01-28-2013 09:16 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

(01-28-2013 09:16 PM)dunkface Wrote:  17. No selfish prima-donna centers to ruin team chemistry.

+1
01-28-2013 09:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dunkface Offline
Special Teams

Expounding a bit on what bostonbronco wrote, we have a sort of unique situation that's causing our success- a mix of seniors playing solid basketball, a few breakout players, and a good mix of game-ready freshman and developing role players.

We have a senior that's peaking and playing the best basketball of his career in Pokley. Hutcheson has been inconsistent throughout his career, but has been more good than bad as a senior and has seemed to really embrace the role of being the shut-down defender while picking his spots on offense. Dan Loney having any sort of a role on a successful team is a senior is something I never thought possible when I first saw him play. He's the very definition of an overachiever who gets every ounce out of his abilities by playing hard, smart, and within himself.

We've also had the good fortune of having a few players "break out." Pokley definitely falls into that category. I would put David Brown in the same boat. Obviously, Whittington is the biggest breakout on the team. I don't think anyone could have predicted he'd be this good. I admit I was a little skeptical that he could be a 30-minute a night player, simply because we hadn't seen him in that role before. I think most of us would say he's exceeded even the most optimistic of our expectations for him. Richie has thrived at times running the point- though he still has his frustrating moments.

Then, we have the impact freshman. Darius Paul has been phenomenal, and he's only going to get better. Jared Klein and Connar Tava have been a little inconsistent, but generally don't do things that hurt the team. Klein kept us in a big game against Ohio, and Tava has been a difference-maker with his physical play and passing ability.

Even the freshman who are sort of on the fringes of the rotation have been decent. Perry provides solid hustle and defense when he's in there- even if he hasn't shown a ton offensively yet. Avery makes some mistakes, but definitely has the ability to be a difference-maker in the future.

The biggest key is THEY ALL EMBRACE THEIR ROLE. Ego's play a bigger role in basketball than most sports. If a player wants more shots or a larger role and plays that way, that hurts the team on and off the court. If you're the fourth-best player on the court and demand the "go-to player" role, that has a huge impact on the team. I haven't seen that at all from this group. Nobody pouts when they don't get the ball, a la Stainbrook. You don't see many shots jacked up with a defenders draped all over the shooter when teammates are open. This team understands the system, plays within it, and takes the best shot without caring who takes it. I don't think that quality can be understated.

I don't remember a Bronco team with this type of blend before. With every good Bronco team that I have previously followed, you knew what you were getting. Saddi, Rashod and Kimbrough carried the team in 97-98. In 03-04, you knew Williams and Reed were going to do their thing while Kann banged away inside and at least one role player would step up. The 04-05 team was the Rost and Reed show. The 07-08 team was give it to Reitz and hope the guards shoot well enough to provide balance. With this team, it really can be anyone on any given night- whether it's one of the seniors making big plays with their experience, one of the breakout players having a big night, or a young player stepping in to make a difference. It's really fun to watch.

Like bostonbronco, I'm cautiously optimistic about the future. It's easy to dream about what could be with this group... but then I remember what happened with last year's senior-laden squad. Just trying to appreciate this group and hope for the best.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 10:01 PM by dunkface.)
01-28-2013 09:52 PM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

Also want to point out that by no means am I suggesting this team is as good as the 97-98, 03-04, 04-05 and 07-08 teams. Just used them as a frame of reference because I felt most posters here would remember those teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 10:06 PM by dunkface.)
01-28-2013 10:05 PM
acer1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Who is James Harris? We have a James Holland as an assistant coach, and I'm sure you are alluding to him.

Always proud to be a Bronco.
01-28-2013 11:56 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-28-2013 11:56 PM)acer1 Wrote:  Who is James Harris? We have a James Holland as an assistant coach, and I'm sure you are alluding to him.

That's the 2nd time in a month someone thought the former NFL QB was stalking Hawks sideline. You'd think being in West Michigan Holland would ring a bell.
01-29-2013 12:48 AM
okgc Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2013 11:56 PM)acer1 Wrote:  Who is James Harris? We have a James Holland as an assistant coach, and I'm sure you are alluding to him.

fixed it
01-29-2013 06:53 AM
Advertisement

realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
12-7 so far this year... Great job guys, very solid season so far and like someone posted earlier 20 wins is definitely doable. Funny thing is I thought EMU was going to be in this position at this time. 03-banghead
01-29-2013 11:57 AM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I think that the single biggest difference is that these guys like each other and play together as a team.

There is NO WAY that this team should be better than last years. Less talent and Less experience. But I think Stainbrook was a locker room cancer. And between Whitfield, Ward and Douglass, I dont think they got along with the other guys.

This team might lack that seasoned leadership and go to guy that is needed to be elite. But I am excited to see these young kids develop together. If Hawk can replace the size they are going to lose in Whittington and Hutcheson. This team could be pretty special in a year or 2.

As it is, I think this shows that chemistry goes alot farther than I ever realized.
01-29-2013 12:17 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
All you have to do is be better than who you're playing in a given season, not necessarily as good as in previous one(s).

Not to take anything away from this year's squad but apparently we are playing a lot of bad teams, especially those in our division.
01-29-2013 12:34 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
If we win 20 it won't matter what our schedule looked like.
01-29-2013 12:40 PM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
(01-29-2013 12:40 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  If we win 20 it won't matter what our schedule looked like.

Agreed, its hard to win 20 games in a season no matter what the schedule is. Of course a carefully crafted schedule helps but alone doesn't undermine the performance of the team.
01-29-2013 12:48 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Assume Stainbrook sitting out his transfer year at 'X.'

Those of you who are closer to the Basketball program - fair to say this was "addition by subtraction"?
01-29-2013 12:49 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2013 12:49 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Assume Stainbrook sitting out his transfer year at 'X.'

Those of you who are closer to the Basketball program - fair to say this was "addition by subtraction"?

I would say yes to that question...without hesitation.
01-29-2013 12:52 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
(01-29-2013 12:48 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  
(01-29-2013 12:40 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  If we win 20 it won't matter what our schedule looked like.

Agreed, its hard to win 20 games in a season no matter what the schedule is. Of course a carefully crafted schedule helps but alone doesn't undermine the performance of the team.

NO argument about the carefully crafted schedule from me.
01-29-2013 02:45 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2013 02:45 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  
(01-29-2013 12:48 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  

NO argument about the carefully crafted schedule from me.

It contradicts your statement when WMU had the 108th toughest OOC SOS in the country, and 3rd toughest in the MAC...according to Ken Pomeroy.

60 Buffalo
69 EMU
108 WMU
124 CMU
126 Akron
136 Miami
175 Toledo
176 NIU
206 BGSU
237 Kent
295 Ohio
302 Ball St
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 03:20 PM by EA3.)
01-29-2013 03:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.