Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Official Broncos @ Miami Ohio gamethread!
WMU83 Offline
Banned

I Root For: WMU
The Official Broncos @ Miami Ohio gamethread!
GO BRONCOS! lets make it 13-7!
01-27-2013 11:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

RE: The Official Broncos @ Miami Ohio gamethread!
Two things really really stick out.

1. Miami is in the bottom 10% of rebounding teams in the nation. That's not good. And it also explains how a team like NIU, who is a good rebounding team, pulled off a W in Oxford a few weeks ago. Seriously, if WMU rebounds like we normally do...this shouldn't be a game unless they decide to hit a bunch of 3's and/or we decide to turn it over at an alarming rate. (both possible)

2. Millett Hall in Oxford has been a house of horrors for WMU. We won there two years ago for the first time in a really really long time, and we needed OT to get it done. To give you an idea, we took both our NIT teams there and LOST. The most recent one was led by Ben Reed and Levi Rost...they got smoked by 25.

Miami has been down in recent years when compared to their tradition in basketball. Freshman sharp shooter Brian Sullivan bolted town when Coles retired and they announced Cooper to replace him. I think he would have stayed if they hired one of Coles' assistants, but oh well. He was their second leading scorer last year.

Their leading scorer is Allen Roberts. He is a 6'3" guard that was injured all of last year. Which partly explains Miami's 6th place finish in the East.

Will Felder is their second leading scorer. He checks in at 6'7" and sat out last year after transferring from St. Francis of Pennsylvania. Both he and Roberts have junior eligibility.

Reggie Johnson is their third leading scorer as a 6'1" freshman guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28vwqjV9ls

Highlights from their loss to NIU. Two things stuck out. They pressed and they went to a half court trap on defense. I would assume they will at least attempt both against WMU. Might as well considering our PG's are a frosh and a soph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4oGzzAM5g

Highlights from their road win at Buffalo. They played some zone on defense, and it doesn't look to be very effective. Had a 20 point lead, only to cough it up in the second half and barely pull out the win.

Looks like Miami employs some good size in their front court. I'm not worried about that as much as their wings and guards creating and getting open looks. Our big men will play physical (too a fault sometimes) and I'm not convinced Miami's front court will do the same. This isn't the prototypical Miami team that locks you down on defense and controls the tempo.

I don't know what Miami team will show up on Wednesday, but I do know that if WMU plays to it's capabilities...we should win this game.

If WMU has legit aspirations of pulling away from the middle of the MAC and solidify it's spot as the 3rd best team in the MAC, this is the type of game that they need to win. You can't afford to drop road games against teams that are inferior. I'm not trying to knock Miami by any means with that comment.

Worst and best fact of this game....WMU has exactly one player (Hutch) who has seen game time at Millett Hall. Not sure how if that translates in our favor or not.

Miami wins if we come out flat and turn the ball over 20+ times...all while shooting horribly from 3 point range (3/20 type stuff).

WMU wins if they come out with energy, play physical, and stay in front of their wings/guards on the perimeter. Also, getting to 70 points would be helpful for the Broncos. Miami hasn't scored more than 63 points in their MAC games yet.

I'll go with my Broncos taking their 5th game in a row.

Dub City 73
Miami 61
01-28-2013 10:17 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

Game Day!

I'm not sure anyone realizes how tough it has been for WMU to win in Oxford over the years.

Obviously we won there 2 years ago. But before that, it was the 1988-89 team that last won in Oxford.

Jim Havrilla, Mark Judge, Billy Stanbeck, Eli Parker, Mark Brown, etc... I remember that team, although it was almost 25 years ago.
01-30-2013 09:10 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(01-28-2013 10:17 AM)EA3 Wrote:  Two things really really stick out.

1. Miami is in the bottom 10% of rebounding teams in the nation. That's not good. And it also explains how a team like NIU, who is a good rebounding team, pulled off a W in Oxford a few weeks ago. Seriously, if WMU rebounds like we normally do...this shouldn't be a game unless they decide to hit a bunch of 3's and/or we decide to turn it over at an alarming rate. (both possible)

2. Millett Hall in Oxford has been a house of horrors for WMU. We won there two years ago for the first time in a really really long time, and we needed OT to get it done. To give you an idea, we took both our NIT teams there and LOST. The most recent one was led by Ben Reed and Levi Rost...they got smoked by 25.

Miami has been down in recent years when compared to their tradition in basketball. Freshman sharp shooter Brian Sullivan bolted town when Coles retired and they announced Cooper to replace him. I think he would have stayed if they hired one of Coles' assistants, but oh well. He was their second leading scorer last year.

Their leading scorer is Allen Roberts. He is a 6'3" guard that was injured all of last year. Which partly explains Miami's 6th place finish in the East.

Will Felder is their second leading scorer. He checks in at 6'7" and sat out last year after transferring from St. Francis of Pennsylvania. Both he and Roberts have junior eligibility.

Reggie Johnson is their third leading scorer as a 6'1" freshman guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28vwqjV9ls

Highlights from their loss to NIU. Two things stuck out. They pressed and they went to a half court trap on defense. I would assume they will at least attempt both against WMU. Might as well considering our PG's are a frosh and a soph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4oGzzAM5g

Highlights from their road win at Buffalo. They played some zone on defense, and it doesn't look to be very effective. Had a 20 point lead, only to cough it up in the second half and barely pull out the win.

Looks like Miami employs some good size in their front court. I'm not worried about that as much as their wings and guards creating and getting open looks. Our big men will play physical (too a fault sometimes) and I'm not convinced Miami's front court will do the same. This isn't the prototypical Miami team that locks you down on defense and controls the tempo.

I don't know what Miami team will show up on Wednesday, but I do know that if WMU plays to it's capabilities...we should win this game.

If WMU has legit aspirations of pulling away from the middle of the MAC and solidify it's spot as the 3rd best team in the MAC, this is the type of game that they need to win. You can't afford to drop road games against teams that are inferior. I'm not trying to knock Miami by any means with that comment.

Worst and best fact of this game....WMU has exactly one player (Hutch) who has seen game time at Millett Hall. Not sure how if that translates in our favor or not.

Miami wins if we come out flat and turn the ball over 20+ times...all while shooting horribly from 3 point range (3/20 type stuff).

WMU wins if they come out with energy, play physical, and stay in front of their wings/guards on the perimeter. Also, getting to 70 points would be helpful for the Broncos. Miami hasn't scored more than 63 points in their MAC games yet.

I'll go with my Broncos taking their 5th game in a row.

Dub City 73
Miami 61

Nice overview EA. Kind of looks like a Gobaseline analysis that can actually be read and understood. (Actually, I really like Gobaseline's posts; its just that I need my decoder ring to translate into English).
01-30-2013 10:19 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

gobaseline has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know.

And thank you for the compliment :)
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 10:21 AM by EA3.)
01-30-2013 10:21 AM
WMU83 Offline
Banned

Its game day!! TIME TO KEEP UP THE WIN STREAK!!
01-30-2013 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Broncobelt Offline
All American

We won in Mt P Saturday. Let's bring the same intensity to Oxford to win there, tonight.
01-30-2013 11:13 AM
wmubasketballsupporter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Broncos
Found this short quote about the game:

Coach John Cooper on Western Michigan: “A very well-coached team. They’re going to move the ball around, they’ve got good size … heck, everybody’s big compared to us at this point. But to be honest, I’m more focused on our group and getting back to some basic things. We’re having some breakdowns that we shouldn’t have, especially from a defensive standpoint.”
01-30-2013 12:04 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Flashback two years
Quote:4:30 PM ET,
January 29, 2011
John D. Millett Hall, Miami, OH
1 2 OT T
WMU 28 37 8 73
M-OH 42 23 3 68
OXFORD, Ohio -- Demetrius Ward scored 21 points and Western Michigan came back from a 14-point halftime deficit to defeat Miami (Ohio) 73-68 Saturday in a Mid-American Conference game.
///edit ///
A 12-1 run brought Western Michigan within four, 54-50, with 10:25 left in regulation. Two free throws by Ward tied it, 62-62, with 2:35 left and a 3-pointer by Nate Hutcheson gave Western Michigan a 65-62 lead at the 1:53 mark.

Julian Mavunga, who led the RedHawks (9-12, 4-3) with 22 points, made 1 of 2 free throws and then a jumper with 19 seconds left for a 65-65 tie at the end of regulation.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 02:14 PM by okgc.)
01-30-2013 02:11 PM
wmubroncopilot Online
Heisman

For those of you watching the game tonight, we are having a bit of an impromptu live chat over at BroncoBlitz tonight at 7.. not really related to the game although we'll be glad to talk about it too. Thanks for the support, guys.
01-30-2013 03:54 PM
Scoop Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Western Michiga
I got the broncos in a dominating win: 78-52
01-30-2013 04:00 PM
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
You sumbitches better cover. 01-lauramac2
01-30-2013 04:01 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
What's the line?
01-30-2013 04:03 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2013 04:03 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  What's the line?

01-30-2013 04:07 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(01-30-2013 04:07 PM)EA3 Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 04:03 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  What's the line?

Yikes, we better REALLY cover. I feel like we'd lose a close game in Oxford.
01-30-2013 05:59 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I think that the mindset of this team is that they know that they are pretty good - so come and get us. They are mostly too young to understand the Millett Hall voodoo curse and will play accordingly.

The boys will pound them on the boards and in second chance points and points in the paint. Miami may keep it close in the first half but the Broncos will bust it open and win going away.

I would say that expectations are that this group had better easily cover that spread. It wouldn't surprise me to see us blow them out. But the Miami curse might make it closer than I believe. Still WMU covers the spread.

Voodoo, anybody?

Something's got to give tonight. In MAC Pickem' I'm 6 - 0 picking WMU games but only 3 - 3 picking Miami games. 03-pissed
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 06:37 PM by MileHighBronco.)
01-30-2013 06:34 PM
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

01-30-2013 06:41 PM
Broncoboogie Offline
1st String

Go Broncos. 04-rock
01-30-2013 06:57 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

01-30-2013 06:58 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

Feeling a wholesale substitution.
01-30-2013 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.