Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Official Broncos Vs Eastern Gamethread!
WMU83 Offline
Banned

I Root For: WMU
The Official Broncos Vs Eastern Gamethread!
GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!
01-22-2013 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ThatRIVALSguy Offline
2nd String

RE: The Official Broncos Vs Eastern Gamethread!
Excerpt from our last interview with Hawkins:

How do you expect Jared Klein and the rest of the freshmen to play against this zone, seeing this really for the first time?

"I don't know. None of the freshmen have played against Eastern's zone, which is different. Now I can tell you that Jared is a very good shooter and that when you hear zone defense, shooter's normally go 'Thank god.' And we've got some kids who have been shooting the ball very well lately -- Jared's one of them, Austin's been shooting it well lately, Pokley, and Brown has been shooting it well obviously -- but [EMU has] a lot more quickness and a lot more length so you can't just pass the ball out around the perimeter."

"When you see a high school zone, they stand back in it and they pass the ball around until you get an open shot and it's not as active as a college zone is, number one. Number two, it's also not as big as a college zone. Number three, Eastern is 6-foot-7, 6-foot-8, 7-foot across the back line, and then you combine athletic with that... so there's a lot of things that all of our freshmen will see for the first time against Eastern."

Hopefully we can find a way to score, I think we got Brown back at the perfect time for this game.
01-22-2013 09:21 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Quote:Hopefully we can find a way to score, I think we got Brown back at the perfect time for this game.

So is that our locker room speech?
01-22-2013 09:26 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

The quotes ended.
01-22-2013 09:39 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
This is where decisive use of either hand with running hook shots offset length and athleticism.

You attack zones from behind.

Flashing up from behind be it up the lane, to the dotted circle or from one block to the opposite elbow forces zones to react (distort). If not, you should be able to catch the ball in advantagous spots. The $64K question is then what? The answer is to be decisive with the ability to go right up or in either direction.

Anytime you can get the middle man in the 2-3 to step up high you expose the blocks AND the corners. The bottom two have to find someone and decide what space to occupy and who to be prepared to go to.

Defenses will sometimes drop the opposite guard of the 2 back to the FT line allowing the big to stay low.

This poses a great opportunity to seal or screen this kid particularly if you have the screenee's # catching the ball on the move and in one motion rising up, or catching and driving the gap between the screenee and screener and the b-s big along the baseline.

Drive it it. If Riley comes out you pull up and take the 15-17' with him in no man's land, hesitate as if and if he runs at you, duck and drive to the rim.

If the big on the baseline makes the play and not Riley, your Pokely in the corner is spotting up.

Even if on the kick out that big closes out, your big has rolled down the land and is 1-1 with Riley on his back. Why? Because Riley as all in a zone watch the ball not the man. Whit set that side screen, holds it for our opp. guard to attack, then rolls down the lane, to rebound the J, tip in the lay up or if kicked out slides in from of Riley.

Zip the ball in and a quick move into the lane with the right hand (running hook) and Riley is helpless. If he reacts appropriately, Whit sees him with his peripheral and simply shows the ball, Riley straightens up as to rise up and Shayne simply pulls the ball back in as he reverses with a drop step back down the lane to kiss it off the glass with his left. Riley is polishing air.

3 open shots, all from a position of strength, all negating the problems posed by zones. Players involved.
Klien with the ball, Whit is the flashing post, Brown is the off guard screened for and Pokely is in the corner.

EMU can only do two things to adjust.
- Bring Riley up and not the guard in. Riley won't do it. Too lazy.
So you simply deliver the pill to Shayne flashing up. Catch, reverse pivot and drain the 15'er or show and bring Riley up and drive him. Or Shayne can pass it out to the b-s corner (Paul) who can hit that shot or Shayne now dives to the block for a give n go, as Riley now has come up to contest. You can reverse roles and have Darius flash up and Shayne can walk up the baseline to pin his man at the block for a high- low.

- Or flatten out the guards up top to take away space in the lane. Which is what typically happens to most zones when you move the ball corner to corner. So no real advantage for the zone.
-We have a couple guys who can step into 20'ers and drain them all night

Another tact is to use your corner/wing guys to flash up the into the lane. Hutch, Brown, Perry and Tava along the baseline and straight up the lane, instead of a big. Now you have someone who is a scorer in the heart of the lane who can shoot the J, drive and finish or make a pass to a big who has pinned their baseline defender on the block. Or you have the opposite wing/corner standing behind the arc for a quick outlet for a catch and shoot.

One key against the zone is to be a triple threat. If you telegraph your intention you have handed them the keys to your car. None of this ball over the head, legs straight and not looking toward WMU's goal.
01-22-2013 10:29 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

01-france
01-22-2013 10:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-22-2013 10:43 PM)BrianPersky Wrote:  01-france

I know, it's not girls softball. Got it!
01-22-2013 10:46 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

(01-22-2013 10:46 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  

Ha! Touche
01-22-2013 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MRBUTTONS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W.M.U.
(01-22-2013 10:48 PM)BrianPersky Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 10:46 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  

Ha! Touche

03-nutkick01-lauramac2

We're not worth of such detailed insight. Sounds like a seminar. Just so we win.
01-22-2013 11:57 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

01-23-2013 12:56 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q54hZmz77Ww

Highlights of the CMU at EMU game.
01-23-2013 02:06 PM
Advertisement

Broncoboogie Offline
1st String

Go Broncos beat the Eagles. I'll be looking at the lane on offense tonight, you can bet on that.
In the MAC chase this is a big game for our team, especially with us heading on the road for 2 in a row. Is it just me or does anyone else kinda wish that Hawk would turn the offense over to GBL for just a couple weeks? I do love what we do on the defensive end this year.
01-23-2013 04:51 PM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
I'd love GBL to run the show, but we'd have to hire a translator. The expenses start to add up.
01-23-2013 04:53 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2013 04:53 PM)thegeneral Wrote:  I'd love GBL to run the show, but we'd have to hire a translator. The expenses start to add up.
GBL continues to disappear for weeks at a time. The team would loses significant practice sessions while GBL is on his sabbaticals.
01-23-2013 05:12 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Let's see what this team brings today.

Go Broncos!

Fast start.
01-23-2013 07:06 PM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

Why is the game delayed?
01-23-2013 07:08 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

Eastern couldn't find the place?
01-23-2013 07:09 PM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

EMU is warming up. Broncos are no where to be found. I can't read the clock.
01-23-2013 07:11 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

One of the referees got stuck in traffic (seriously)
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 07:12 PM by BrianPersky.)
01-23-2013 07:12 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

Hawk was just telling Murphy that one of the refs is not here but said, "they call too many fouls anyway, so why don't we get started?"

The logjam at the "top" of the west will be broken tonight.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 07:20 PM by MileHighBronco.)
01-23-2013 07:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.