Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C7 Meeting Minutes
Bookmark and Share
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
C7 Meeting Minutes
From Andy Katz:

Hired Proskauer Rose LLP and Pilson Communications (TV consulting firm run by former CBS Sports boss Neal Pilson)

And want to have an "orderly evolution to a foundation of basketball schools that honors the tradition of the Big East"
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 03:48 PM by nathanhm.)
01-04-2013 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

itsmejpt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Seton Hall
RE: C7 Meeting Minutes
I know nothing about either of them, but yaaay!
01-04-2013 03:54 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Any other info?
01-04-2013 04:14 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
I hope some more information is leaked, that is kind of underwhelming.
01-04-2013 05:21 PM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz
Big East Catholic 7 release statement on today's meeting and say they have retained services of Proskauer Rose LLP and Pilson Communications
The Big East 7 didn't make anymore major decisions today, just setting up legal counsel and assessing media value.
Statement said the 7 discussed their "orderly evolution to a foundation of basketball schools that honors the tradition of the Big East.''
01-04-2013 05:28 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
why even have a meeting, it seems to me those things were already known (except for the consulting firm)
01-04-2013 08:12 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(01-04-2013 08:12 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  why even have a meeting, it seems to me those things were already known (except for the consulting firm)

Obviously this is a meeting to discuss about the future meeting that they hope to have. My old company use to do this a lot.
01-04-2013 08:19 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-04-2013 08:12 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  why even have a meeting, it seems to me those things were already known (except for the consulting firm)

Retaining a law firm and getting a top TV consultant is important.

I'd expect they also discussed a lot of things without coming to any decisions at this point. Those discussions would have been completely off the record, though. We've been through all the issues that need to be addressed, they probably wanted to sound each other out in person about them.
01-04-2013 08:40 PM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
Like I said in the other thread: you don't have a wedding to someone else until your divorce is going through. They hired their divorce lawyer today.
01-04-2013 09:14 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(01-04-2013 08:19 PM)ivet Wrote:  

Obviously this is a meeting to discuss about the future meeting that they hope to have. My old company use to do this a lot.

one would think there would have been a post meeting, meeting to discuss what went on at the pre meeting meeting and to of course schedule a follow up meeting. 04-cheers
01-04-2013 09:49 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

Remember just because the press release doesn't say much doesnt mean they didn't talk about a lot of other issues.

It seems very much like Georgetown is driving this process, they are masters of secrecy and only releasing tiny bits of information.
01-04-2013 11:10 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(01-04-2013 11:10 PM)nathanhm Wrote:  Remember just because the press release doesn't say much doesnt mean they didn't talk about a lot of other issues.

It seems very much like Georgetown is driving this process, they are masters of secrecy and only releasing tiny bits of information.
Too many freakin' spooks, man. Come to think of it, every last one of my friends here in DC who went there work for the "other government agency." 04-jawdrop
01-04-2013 11:46 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

A guy on HoyaTalk has a very interesting theory. Ill try to summarize but read his post for better clarity.

If you read both statements put out by the 7 schools, they have not announced they are officially leaving the Big East. Thus they retain voting rights and can basically block anything that happens for the next year preventing the football schools from stabilizing until demands are met. Which means the name, MSG, tournament credits, and exit date are all available for negotiation.
01-05-2013 07:31 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-05-2013 07:31 AM)nathanhm Wrote:  A guy on HoyaTalk has a very interesting theory. Ill try to summarize but read his post for better clarity.

If you read both statements put out by the 7 schools, they have not announced they are officially leaving the Big East. Thus they retain voting rights and can basically block anything that happens for the next year preventing the football schools from stabilizing until demands are met. Which means the name, MSG, tournament credits, and exit date are all available for negotiation.

Statements have all been very carefully crafted to never use the words "exit" "withdraw" or anything with a specific legal meaning.

So, yeah, if we have to, we have 7 votes in our pockets. Not the 3/4 majority we'd need to impose something, but easily enough to fire Aresco if there's no 2013-14 TV deal, or to block an all-sports media contract. (We can't block a football contract, that they could do as a "Football Action.)"
01-05-2013 07:42 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-05-2013 07:31 AM)nathanhm Wrote:  A guy on HoyaTalk has a very interesting theory. Ill try to summarize but read his post for better clarity.

I don't think MSG will be up for negotiations. I mean it all depends on who gets the name. If we get the name we keep MSG. If we don't MSG most likely walks from their deal since they have the loophole to do so if their is significant membership change, and they can sign with us or whoever they want. I think we're aware of that and would not give up anything for that.
01-05-2013 01:10 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

Didn't we announce we were leaving before christmas when we made it official?
01-05-2013 01:11 PM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
Here is the statement:

Quote:Earlier today we voted unanimously to pursue an orderly evolution to a foundation of basketball schools that honors the history and tradition on which the Big East was established. Under the current context of conference realignment, we believe pursuing a new basketball framework that builds on this tradition of excellence and competition is the best way forward.
We are grateful to our Commissioner, Michael Aresco, for his exceptional leadership of the Big East Conference. We have been honored to be associated with the outstanding group of institutions that have made up the Big East. While we pursue this opportunity for our institutions, we believe the efforts of the past two years have established the foundation for an enduring national football conference.
We look forward to building this new foundation with an emphasis on elite competition and a commitment to the development of our students engaged in intercollegiate athletics. That is where we will now spend our energy as we move forward.

I find it interesting the wording as johnbragg mentioned. There is obviously a purpose and legal precedent they are trying to protect in this statement. I wonder how this "orderly evolution" plays out. Based on what happens, it could affect ALL conferences.
01-05-2013 01:34 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-05-2013 01:34 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  Here is the statement:

Quote:Earlier today we voted unanimously to pursue an orderly evolution to a foundation of basketball schools that honors the history and tradition on which the Big East was established. Under the current context of conference realignment, we believe pursuing a new basketball framework that builds on this tradition of excellence and competition is the best way forward.
We are grateful to our Commissioner, Michael Aresco, for his exceptional leadership of the Big East Conference. We have been honored to be associated with the outstanding group of institutions that have made up the Big East. While we pursue this opportunity for our institutions, we believe the efforts of the past two years have established the foundation for an enduring national football conference.
We look forward to building this new foundation with an emphasis on elite competition and a commitment to the development of our students engaged in intercollegiate athletics. That is where we will now spend our energy as we move forward.

I find it interesting the wording as johnbragg mentioned. There is obviously a purpose and legal precedent they are trying to protect in this statement. I wonder how this "orderly evolution" plays out. Based on what happens, it could affect ALL conferences.

Well thats how we keep the name. We never left, we negotiate the FB schools exit. hahahaha
01-05-2013 01:47 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: C7 Meeting Minutes
(01-04-2013 03:54 PM)itsmejpt Wrote:  I know nothing about either of them, but yaaay!

I work for a small software company that does business with Proskauer. I do work for them regularly they're a very savvy sports law firm. Probably the best sports law firm out there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
01-06-2013 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.